Author Topic: Warriorborn  (Read 6862 times)

Offline cornyphil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Warriorborn
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 04:49:48 AM »
I don't think there's anything significantly different to Sark's genes compared to other Warriorborn.  "Spidery" is Jim's usual adjective for a character that's deadly, graceful, and competent but the reader is supposed to be creeped out instead of impressed by the character.  The same thing happens for the Vord queen and for Mavra.

I believe there is a specific quote that says he moves like a Silkweaver... not a Cat.  So it is at least implied that there might be different styles of Warriorborn... or someone is mucking about with the designs.
One does not simply "parkour".  One shouts it aloud as one performs the act!  PARKOUR!

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 05:48:24 AM »
I am pretty sure when explaining warriorborn they would have brought up variants if there were any. one's movements are also trained.
I don't think there's anything significantly different to Sark's genes compared to other Warriorborn.  "Spidery" is Jim's usual adjective for a character that's deadly, graceful, and competent but the reader is supposed to be creeped out instead of impressed by the character.  The same thing happens for the Vord queen and for Mavra.
I like this the best tbh.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Aesir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 07:35:45 PM »
Since three different characters, Espira, Grim and Bridget all remark to themselves how Sark moves like a silkweaver, I suspect that there is more to the description than simply a way to denote creepiness. 
DV Aesir v1.2 YR8FR8 BK++ RP++ TH++ ?WG BC+ SH[Molly+++ Lara++ Mab++ Elaine++ Gard+ Murphy- Mavra----]

Offline Phaeton Seraph

• Conversationalist
  • Diogenes. With fricken laser beams.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 05:34:17 AM »
I believe there is a specific quote that says he moves like a Silkweaver... not a Cat.  So it is at least implied that there might be different styles of Warriorborn... or someone is mucking about with the designs.

You're inferring it, but I don't see it as implied.  Just because something is not impossible does not mean something is implied.

As said earlier, it more likely has more to do with him being henchman/possible puppet.

I'm better than a shirt.  I'm a sword....  Look, they're still breathing.   Stupid shirt.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 01:00:02 PM »
I'd be hard pressed to define what the visible differences between a Cat-like Graceful and Deadly psycho and a Spider-like Graceful and Deadly psycho, honestly. 

To me he seemed spider-themed only in the sense that all those on The Enemy's side were, to one degree or another. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline TaurosElan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 04:41:26 PM »
The reference to "batman" is in the traditional dictionary sense of the word.  "a soldier assigned to an officer as a servant."

Without the reference to the cat-like eyes I'd have said the half-souled reference was more akin to the berserkers referenced in the 2nd Dresden novel.  That is, people with a soul of a beast, but a human shell.

Offline Aesir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 05:08:55 PM »
I don't recall anyone aside from the cats referring to the warriorborn as halfsouls, and its humanocentric to think that cats care if a soul is human.  On the other hand if the warriorborn have some cat genetics as evidenced by their cat-like eyes, superior sense of smell & hearing, high cat-like metabolism, and their feline-like grace, then that might explain why the cats refer to them as halfsouls, because part of their soul is that of a cat, and the human portion doesn't matter to a cat, only the feline portion.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:17:53 PM by Aesir »
DV Aesir v1.2 YR8FR8 BK++ RP++ TH++ ?WG BC+ SH[Molly+++ Lara++ Mab++ Elaine++ Gard+ Murphy- Mavra----]

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »
Half-soul appears (8) times in the novel, always from Rowl.  Personally I think they are being called "Half-souled" because only the Cat half counts from Rowl's perspective. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Phaeton Seraph

• Conversationalist
  • Diogenes. With fricken laser beams.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 02:18:00 AM »
The reference to "batman" is in the traditional dictionary sense of the word.  "a soldier assigned to an officer as a servant."

Without the reference to the cat-like eyes I'd have said the half-souled reference was more akin to the berserkers referenced in the 2nd Dresden novel.  That is, people with a soul of a beast, but a human shell.

I think that a batman is the land forces version of a naval steward.  Once someone reaches a certain rank they get someone to take care of their needs.  Like a mini-major domo you take on the road.

I'm better than a shirt.  I'm a sword....  Look, they're still breathing.   Stupid shirt.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 04:52:02 AM »
I disagree, I think in this case it means that Sark is somewhat under mind control and that is what makes him different.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline canpinter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 04:58:40 AM »
they also keep calling him her "Batman" and I know I have all kinds of imagery tied up with that one

i think that confirms that this series is actually a postapocalyptic gotham. well looks like we can go home people, no more theorizing to do, books solved.

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
Half-soul appears (8) times in the novel, always from Rowl.  Personally I think they are being called "Half-souled" because only the Cat half counts from Rowl's perspective.

I was going to say the same thing.    ;)
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html