Author Topic: Etymology of Angel Names in DF  (Read 32442 times)

wizard nelson

Re: Etymology of Angel Names in DF
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2015, 05:52:58 PM »
Add this in with other symbology and I wonder if it's always been the negative/destructive side of whichever perticular balance existed that were guards at the gates? The only direct contradiction to this idea is satan was known as the adversary at some point, somehow placing himself in what is now Nemesis' spot.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2015, 06:36:23 PM »
Add this in with other symbology and I wonder if it's always been the negative/destructive side of whichever perticular balance existed that were guards at the gates? The only direct contradiction to this idea is satan was known as the adversary at some point, somehow placing himself in what is now Nemesis' spot.
I really dont think that is the Case here.  I think that Adversay is specifically not a Name of any kind, but is instead intentionally more generic.  It's the reason Mother Summer said it was safe to use that term rather than a Name.   

For that Matter Im not convinced the Outsider nemesis has anything specific to do with the Greco-Roman deity, Name notwithstanding
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

wizard nelson

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2015, 07:25:59 PM »
The adversary  concept applied to him as the accuser, before his fall as an officiary of heaven still, like its a divine post or maybe Mantle. And yes it's safer to refer to them as their role instead of saying lucifer the accuser, the adversary.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2015, 09:42:19 PM »
The adversary  concept applied to him as the accuser, before his fall as an officiary of heaven still, like its a divine post or maybe Mantle. And yes it's safer to refer to them as their role instead of saying lucifer the accuser, the adversary.
precisely.  The reason it's safer is, I think, the same as the reason it was safer to refer to Hades as The Client: it's non-specific.  Thus the implication of using The Adversary as a safe alterative to Nemesis is that it is a Non-specific role rather than a specific Name/Title.  Thus, in turn, this suggest that we cannot link Nemesis and Satan on the grounds of that term's usage alone. 

Not saying Lucy isnt on his side of the Outsiders, just that we dont know.  And that I hope Not, because I want Nic to pull a pseudo-Vader and be forced into a Team up with Haryr to fight hte Outsider invasion.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

wizard nelson

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
We can't link N and Lucy but we can link the Advesary in its self same role. Like its a broad term and nonspecific but it's still a denomination af a specific thing. Other times in DF it's been said of things as 'their adversary'. A way to specify it as apposite to a specific thing. By calling it THE adversary you note a specific thing applied across a broad whole. E.g. Hannible was the adversary of Rome, he could have been called as much and it fits, later(iirc) Spartacus became Romes most notorious adversary. And since he's fulfilling the same role, Romans calling him the adversary makes sense. Lucy was the adversary, now literally everything seems to be stalked as Lea put it by the same 'adversary' so regardless it's filling th same role even if it's not quite the same. Same mantle different human memory attached to it.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2015, 10:15:51 PM »
We can't link N and Lucy but we can link the Advesary in its self same role. Like its a broad term and nonspecific but it's still a denomination af a specific thing. Other times in DF it's been said of things as 'their adversary'. A way to specify it as apposite to a specific thing. By calling it THE adversary you note a specific thing applied across a broad whole. E.g. Hannible was the adversary of Rome, he could have been called as much and it fits, later(iirc) Spartacus became Romes most notorious adversary. And since he's fulfilling the same role, Romans calling him the adversary makes sense. Lucy was the adversary, now literally everything seems to be stalked as Lea put it by the same 'adversary' so regardless it's filling th same role even if it's not quite the same. Same mantle different human memory attached to it.
True, but I think hope that will all prove relative.  Lucy was and and even THE Adversary, but he's still from the Home Town.  Ditto Nic.  Im hoping they will each grow up and throw in against whatever pours though the Gates. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

wizard nelson

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2015, 10:25:06 PM »
In the early books it was still undefined what was NN and what was demon outsider, there's a connection there somehow. And if Nemesis Greek is Nfector then she might actually be from here too, or maybe WAS from here idk. Hard to say. I still view summer as a counterweight to mab instead of a counterforce, that creates balance in action here, so that N there doesn't get as much force/room to move