Author Topic: Etymology of Angel Names in DF  (Read 32885 times)

wizard nelson

Re: Etymology of Angel Names in DF
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2015, 02:26:55 PM »
Wait, Raistlin was the hero?  I just remember him being sickly, dragons getting stabbed with lances, and Tifa owning a bar.

Anyway, should be enough, thanks.
read the time of the twins trilogy(or maybe the test of the twins) it shows him being the BAMF anti-hero best. lol is the tifa thing a joke?

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
read the time of the twins trilogy(or maybe the test of the twins) it shows him being the BAMF anti-hero best. lol is the tifa thing a joke?
I actually prefer Soulfire and Brothers in Arms. it was a 2 book set. was pretty awesome tbh. talks about the adventure before they all went off on their own and the second book about the time Raist an Cam trained together as mercenaries.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2015, 03:16:55 PM »
What are we talking about again?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2015, 05:33:26 PM »
Oooooooh, someone's using the tr (insert table) command!

Very impressive.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:38:04 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2015, 06:34:10 PM »
WRT Urumviel: "he had a lot of muscle and a ridge of leathery plates running down his spine."

When I read this, I imagined a ridge of overlapping plates running down his spine kind of like in biker armor.

But some of Saurus references here make me think maybe I had the wrong mental image, and it was more like the plates on the back of a Stegosaurus. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:37:10 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »
Someone is going to have to ask JB what the name of Deidre's Fallen is/was. Until then, I still nominate my original suggestion, Urumiel

Did we ever find out the name of Deirdre's Fallen? Her angel in the coin? If not, I'd like someone to ask JB about it if they get ever the chance.

I do have a suggestion for a name, "Urumiel" taken from the name of this sword, the Urumi, which resembled her hair:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:23:52 PM by Tami Seven »
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2015, 05:46:55 PM »
Someone is going to have to ask JB what the name of Deidre's Fallen is/was. Until then, I still nominate my original suggestion, Urumiel

That's really chill Tami.  I just cached it in the DFRC theory index. as a WAG.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2015, 07:20:34 PM »
That's really chill Tami.  I just cached it in the DFRC theory index. as a WAG.

That made my day. Thanks.   :)
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2015, 08:30:09 PM »
Perhaps Anduriel is just a mix of Andariel and Duriel, from Diablo games  :D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline megarows

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2015, 11:39:04 PM »
Oooooooh, someone's using the tr (insert table) command!

Very impressive.

Fair warning on that, as I found out the hard way: there doesn't appear to be a way to control any table/tr/td attributes or styles, especially nowrap, or style="white-space: nowrap" in HTML5, and &nbsp; didn't seem possible either.

So, for long lines of text, they'll cause the first label column to have decreased width, wrap, and look inconsistent.  I had to manually linebreak and flow them.  It's not quite 100% on an iPad in portrait now, but it's close.

Done deal now, but something to keep in mind if you want to convert a list to a table.

edit: on a completely unrelated sidenote, a strategy/TD game on my iPad (Kingdom Rush: Origins) got an update with a new hero character, a fallen angel.  Named Lilith.  "Noooooooo!"

edit2: added Deirdre's coin with Tami's theory and Dina's etymology to Anduriel.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:32:22 AM by megarows »

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2015, 04:09:38 PM »
Fair warning on that, as I found out the hard way: there doesn't appear to be a way to control any table/tr/td attributes or styles, especially nowrap, or style="white-space: nowrap" in HTML5, and &nbsp; didn't seem possible either.

So, for long lines of text, they'll cause the first label column to have decreased width, wrap, and look inconsistent.  I had to manually linebreak and flow them.  It's not quite 100% on an iPad in portrait now, but it's close.

Done deal now, but something to keep in mind if you want to convert a list to a table.

edit: on a completely unrelated sidenote, a strategy/TD game on my iPad (Kingdom Rush: Origins) got an update with a new hero character, a fallen angel.  Named Lilith.  "Noooooooo!"

edit2: added Deirdre's coin with Tami's theory and Dina's etymology to Anduriel.

I especially like how you used colors and alignment.  Here's one of my attempts at using tables.

Jim's Author/book recommendations

The only formatting I might have done differently is that since the list is so long, compartmentalize each numbered section into a spoiler code so that they can  be expanded or compressed individually.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:13:06 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline megarows

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2015, 11:36:51 PM »
I especially like how you used colors and alignment.  Here's one of my attempts at using tables.

Jim's Author/book recommendations

The only formatting I might have done differently is that since the list is so long, compartmentalize each numbered section into a spoiler code so that they can  be expanded or compressed individually.

Did that for the intro but need to reflow everything for the rest because the spoiler tags add horizontal padding.

FYI, I found the Unicode non-breaking space will prevent wrapping in these tables.  It is the character " " instead of " ".

Offline megarows

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2015, 08:50:50 AM »
@Serack: Done (spoiler tags / text reflow).  As yet another caveat, the Unicode nbsps revert to plain spaces when you edit and have to be reinserted, so I'd recommend saving in an external text editor if you ever go that route.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2015, 12:00:22 AM »
Thanks for the info, I've archived it in my own personal "sandbox" (literally I have it labeled that) where I hash out stuff like that for forum posts.

I would save it in my official forum advice topic, except you are the only other person I have ever seen that was interested in tables, and that topic is an "FAQ"
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2015, 02:02:59 PM »
Thanks for the info, I've archived it in my own personal "sandbox" (literally I have it labeled that) where I hash out stuff like that for forum posts.

I would save it in my official forum advice topic, except you are the only other person I have ever seen that was interested in tables, and that topic is an "FAQ"
Im interested, just have so far been too incompetent to make them work properly 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain