Author Topic: Etymology of Angel Names in DF  (Read 32824 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Etymology of Angel Names in DF
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 05:12:21 AM »
I'll never understand why they who control this forum won't open it up to Google searches. :shrug:

Anyway, I really doubt that Nic and the Dinarians are working for the Outsiders.

I reckon they are trying to protect our privacy.
Also, again with the Dinarians  :D. I feel like the leader of a sect or something.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline megarows

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 05:25:00 AM »
Ok, think I added everything so far.  Seems like our mutual friend got popular, so created a new section for him as well.  I had to interpolate names so yell if you don't like them.

"the Prince of fucking Darkness"

Official title accepted.

Also, siluriformes is the order of the catfishes (order as a taxon). But I don't think Saluriel is a reference to that.

Shardik, only with a catfish.  It might still work.  A large catfish.

Akar from Malay3 gets you "plant root".  Akariel is described as dark, big, and furry, but that's it.  There's a possibility that its actually a plant-like form, and the "fur" is actually a lot of root hairs all across the body.  Seems like a stretch, but I haven't seen anything else.

Doesn't really seem any less likely than an inanimate gate that's none of those things.  Named as darkroot for obvious reasons.

Nam from Vietnamese4 means "man".  Thorned Namshiel is said to look like a human skeleton with bone spurs at its joints.  It could be a proto-man form.

Went with "Prototype of God" but all I could think was "Oohhhh... Skin Man."

the darkest shadow

I'll file this with our mutual friend's section for now.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 05:32:30 AM »
I'll never understand why they who control this forum won't open it up to Google searches. :shrug:

Anyway, I really doubt that Nic and the Dinarians are working for the Outsiders.
No, it's my Kindle for PV search that is failing.  But I agree, the search for the site is horrible.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 05:45:33 AM »
Varthiel = Varth + iel

varth : perhaps a play on Darth Vader?
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 05:49:19 AM »
I also found something here

In the North East of England there is another definition, "taken from Old Norse rather than Old English, and comes from 'varth-lokkr' meaning (essentially) 'one who locks (something) in' or 'one who encloses'." As a term of honour, it is used to describe "an exorcist or a magician who traps and disposes of unwanted entities"
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline megarows

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 06:16:59 AM »
varth : perhaps a play on Darth Vader?

I actually had a similar thought, but I'm not sure how to interpret that.  What do Darth and Vader mean, and what happens when you swap the first letter?

I also found something here

I'm not able to translate varth with any of the online Old Norse dictionaries I can find, so I'm not really sure what that base means.  I tried translating contextually similar phrases to modern Icelandic with Google Translate, but that failed as well.  Closest-ish I found was svartr ("black").

Anyone have a better Old Norse dictionary/translator?

Sidenote: draugr means tree-trunk?

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 06:34:02 AM »
It's an Old English word,  but I still don't have a definition. If I find it I will let you know.
War Cry -

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 12:48:34 PM »
Ok, I really like the work you put into this, and will be shunting it to the DFRC.  Do you want it there soonest or would you like it to mature in the more active regular spoilers section for a while first?  I certainly want to shunt it over before it locks so that it can continue to get input in perpetuity. 

Edit:
You already have a lot of bullets under the "fallen" characters, but might I suggest adding one for the names of the known hosts and or current dispositions of the coins?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:55:49 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline megarows

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 06:12:48 PM »
Ok, I really like the work you put into this, and will be shunting it to the DFRC.  Do you want it there soonest or would you like it to mature in the more active regular spoilers section for a while first?  I certainly want to shunt it over before it locks so that it can continue to get input in perpetuity. 

Edit:
You already have a lot of bullets under the "fallen" characters, but might I suggest adding one for the names of the known hosts and or current dispositions of the coins?

Moving whenever you prefer is cool with me.

I'll add hosts for the fallen and bearers(?) of grace for the big four archangels.

Offline antheerr

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 06:20:33 PM »
Re Tarsiel - Is Jim a fan of Dragonlance at all?  Just wondered if it might be a nod to the city of Tarsis.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 06:32:08 PM »
For Urumviel:  Thor's hammer in Marvel mythology is made of a metal called Uru, and I've seen Urim used for a name of a magical material before.  Possibly a Beta Ray Bill connection?

Also for Lasciel, it may be worth mentioning that the hourglass sigil is reminiscent of a black widow spider's abdomen marking.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:38:22 PM by Second Aristh »
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 06:45:47 PM »
It's an Old English word,  but I still don't have a definition. If I find it I will let you know.

Found one source that defines Varth as meaning "A wonder"

War Cry -

wizard nelson

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 06:50:14 PM »
I think when someone is trying to summon HWWB, they call him something like "darkest shadow."

Also, in Small Favor, when Eldest Gruff is chatting with Harry after killing Magog, he refers to the Denarians as "Servants of the darkest shadow."
Ah thank you, I was starting to worry I'd imagined it or it wasn't actually in the DF it said that.
For Urumviel:  Thor's hammer in Marvel mythology is made of a metal called Uru, and I've seen Urim used for a name of a magical material before.  Possibly a Beta Ray Bill connection?

Also for Lasciel, it may be worth mentioning that the hourglass sigil is reminiscent of a black widow spider's abdomen marking.
The hourglass symbol I figured might have something to do with the eyes of the dark Magician Raistlin Majere., from dragon lance fame. One of if not the most famous fallen wizard type. figure it was a reference to the 'truth' of how he was corrupted. Jims a fan, but I can't remember the authers name atm.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:53:59 PM by wizard nelson »

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 06:54:53 PM »
Found one source that defines Varth as meaning "A wonder"

Or it could be related to the word vardlokkur.

Or this definition:

vardlokkur (varth-lokk-ur) - 1. The Warder’s Song; warding charm, ward–allure, ward-entice. 2. Lulling, sight/vision inducing spirit songs. Warding songs used in seidr work. A special gift given to the MOs who come to a seidr. 3. A singer of vardlokkur. 4. A person who opens and closes fetters and locks. 5. One who has the power of binding and releasing spirits using runes. 6. A protector of the Gates. 7. A family’s traditional song used in the home when folks were sitting out with the ancestors to say hello and name their needs.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:56:56 PM by Tami Seven »
War Cry -

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 06:56:52 PM »
The hourglass symbol I figured might have something to do with the eyes of the dark Magician Raistlin Majere., from dragon lance fame. One of if not the most famous fallen wizard type. figure it was a reference to the 'truth' of how he was corrupted. Jims a fan, but I can't remember the authers name atm.
With epithets like the "Webweaver" and the "Temptress", the spider theme seems to fit better imo.  Raistlin's eyes seem to be more of a symbol for time itself.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill