Author Topic: The Religious Relics: What Are They?  (Read 35042 times)

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
Re: The Religious Relics: What Are They?
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2015, 05:06:15 PM »
Agreed.  Though part of the problem (with mine) is that I cant quite decide how much of the Passion events would have been pre-planned by Jesus vs some other agency.  What I mean is that I am going on the general assumption that the items were specifically Crafted ahead of time rather than being Empowered in the act (per traditional Dogma), but whether they were doing so with benevolent intentions toward Jesus or not could change things some.  For example, your idea for the crown would be a more benevolent thing as it would empower him to complete his "mission," wereas the Throned Manacle idea would be more about the jailers restraining their victim (regardless of how cooperative the subject actually is). 

PS for everyone else, here is Phariah's list:
its I just let my DnD DMing mind go have fun w/ these. thinking of Holy items I would give a Pally or Priest. I usually do not go curse direction but buff and heal type w/ them. it might be tainted that way.  :-\

but I am still hoping for my Shroud guess to be true. have him revive Persiphone w/ out Marcone's knowledge. have Demeter being all types happy w/ Marcone for saving her. than have him find out and be like, "dammit Dresden!! I was supposed to be the hero not you!" than still owe him one because of it also. 8) ;)
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2015, 05:38:28 PM »
its I just let my DnD DMing mind go have fun w/ these. thinking of Holy items I would give a Pally or Priest. I usually do not go curse direction but buff and heal type w/ them. it might be tainted that way.  :-\

but I am still hoping for my Shroud guess to be true. have him revive Persiphone w/ out Marcone's knowledge. have Demeter being all types happy w/ Marcone for saving her. than have him find out and be like, "dammit Dresden!! I was supposed to be the hero not you!" than still owe him one because of it also. 8) ;)
Fair enough.  Though if harry could even FIND persephone without Marcone's knowledge and help, I will be highly disappointed in the Good Baron.  :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2015, 05:42:09 PM »
Fair enough.  Though if harry could even FIND persephone without Marcone's knowledge and help, I will be highly disappointed in the Good Baron.  :P
True. I've no doubt Marcone gave the order to have her moved within minutes of talking with Harry outside that hospital. Now, true, Harry could always try following him again, but... something tells me that wouldn't be near as easy or safe as last time.

Besides, saving the girl and having Marcone owe him isn't the sort of "good things happening to me" event that Harry gets very often. I don't see this being a likely one.
"Sufficiently advanced technology," my ass.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2015, 08:04:49 PM »
your ideas for the 5 objects from the vault are kinda similar to mine that I posted in the other thread. I like your ideas. I think the only major difference we have is the Crown.

FWIW, I think Quantus' Crown/manacle connection sub theory is one of the strongest on the forums.

Although to be fair, frankcesca posted it about a year ago  (ballplayer72 mighta posted the idea earlier, but if so, his post has been nommed by the autodelete monster.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 08:13:51 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2015, 10:40:18 PM »
So far the answer seems to be None :P

Well there are lots of relics from Saints in cathedrals and whatnot, but we've no idea on their authenticity, true location or power levels.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2015, 11:24:49 PM »
I know that there's a knife in the DaVinci's Last Supper, I'm not sure if it's in the bible offhand though, so the knife might be that.  After all, the Grail is not from the actual crucifixion either.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2015, 12:20:09 AM »
Well there are lots of relics from Saints in cathedrals and whatnot, but we've no idea on their authenticity, true location or power levels.
hehe, true.  Though based on the shroud autheticity matters but isnt he end all be all. 

But I was poking fun more at their inability to properly contain the magic relics we do know about, specifically some problematic pocket change.   :)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2015, 03:56:08 PM »
I know that there's a knife in the DaVinci's Last Supper, I'm not sure if it's in the bible offhand though, so the knife might be that.  After all, the Grail is not from the actual crucifixion either.
Yes, and that dagger -- interestingly -- is being held by Peter (not Judas as some might have surmised), the man who will eventually found the beginnings of the Catholic Church.. .St. Peter, the first Pope.

Other depictions of the event by other artists have anywhere from a dozen knives arrayed at place settings to none at all. /shrug. To me, unless JB is being unusually obtuse, I would seriously doubt the knife in Hades vault is from the last supper... it's too nebulous and no real "lore" attached to it, thus unlikely to have any 'power of belief' attached. The Spear of Longinus on the other hand is rife with myth and legend... perfect for cherry picking and adaptation.
"Sufficiently advanced technology," my ass.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2015, 04:02:29 PM »
After all, the Grail is not from the actual crucifixion either.
In some traditions it was:  it was said that Joseph of Aramitea caught Christ's blood in the cup from the last supper, either on the cross or during his burial.  Seems to be accepted to be a later addition after the 12th century.  Building on the theme of the Wine=Blood in a more literal way, I imagine. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2015, 04:16:51 PM »
In some traditions it was:  it was said that Joseph of Aramitea caught Christ's blood in the cup from the last supper, either on the cross or during his burial.  Seems to be accepted to be a later addition after the 12th century.  Building on the theme of the Wine=Blood in a more literal way, I imagine.

Yah, stuff like that is why I let RL... "ology" guide me in DF theorizing but not definitively.  Because different people believe different things.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

wizard nelson

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2015, 06:47:21 PM »
Wasn't sure where to put this but since its indirectly about the 5 relics... In GS (with mort going up to Murphy's door) Harry cracks a joke about the justice league and 'here are the 5 cosmic super hero's of the universe!' including himself in the five. except Justice league has never had a simular opening anywhere and there are not 5 main characters I can directly classify as 'the team'. kinda a clue when you connect it later to the 5 holy relics and 5 cosmic stars in the sky in CH.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2015, 06:56:32 PM »
I'd have to track down the specific wording, but he is almost certainly referencing the Super Friends, which is Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman.

wizard nelson

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2015, 06:58:06 PM »
I don't know, he does specifically say Justice League iirc though.

(Robin a cosmic super hero? lmao)

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2015, 07:48:23 PM »
Was four anyway, not five.

Ten minutes later, I was humming under my breath and watching the gathering in Murphy's living room. Sir Stuart stood beside me, his expression interested, curious.
"Beg pardon, wizard," he said, "but what is that tune you're trying to sing?"
I belted out the opening trumpet fanfare of the main theme and then said, in a deep and cheesy announcer's voice, "In the great Hall of the Justice League, there are assembled the world's four greatest heroes, created from the cosmic legends of the universe!"
Sir Stuart frowned at me. "Created from . . ."
"The cosmic legends of the universe," I repeated, in the same voice.
Sir Stuart narrowed his eyes and turned slightly away from me, his shoulders tight. "That makes no sense. None. At all."
"It did on Saturday mornings in the seventies, apparently," I said. I nodded at the room beyond the window. "And we've got something similar going on here. Though for a Hall of the Justice League, it looks pretty small. Real estate wasn't as expensive back then, I guess."

Super Friends, '73 to '74. Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman.
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2015, 08:30:31 PM »
I don't know, he does specifically say Justice League iirc though.

(Robin a cosmic super hero? lmao)
They called themselves the Justice League in the Superfriends.  And Robin is a much a "cosmic superhero" as Batman and Aquaman.

But, per the quote (which I couldn't find because I entirely misread where he was) it's totally the Super Friends.