Author Topic: The Religious Relics: What Are They?  (Read 35007 times)

Offline weechlo

• Lurker
  • No Retreat! No Surrender!
    • View Profile
The Religious Relics: What Are They?
« on: June 20, 2015, 01:04:38 AM »
Okay, so at the end of Skin Game, Harry is in possession of several powerful, genuine religious artifacts particular to the Christian faith, all described by him as (and apparently confirmed by Hades to be) weapons.

I understood most of them, but one tripped me up as to what exactly it was, and I'm also curious as to what their purpose as weaponry could be.

The Holy Grail was lost, and even Michael wasn't sure how it could be used to do evil since it's significance was apparently wholly good in nature (ultimate expression of God's grief and love, etc.), but seeing as how Nicodemus used the (knock-off) Shroud of Turin to create and try to spread a super plague, I agree with Harry that Nicodemus will probably figure out something.

Then there was the Crown of Thorns. Dunno what the weaponized value is of that.

The placard, which I'm pretty sure is the one that was put around Christ's neck, saying that he was the King of the Jews? Again, not sure how that's a weapon.

But the one I'm totally confused about is the knife? I'm not religious and not terribly well-versed in the particulars of the Resurrection story, but the knife's significance must be pretty darn obvious because Harry immediately just knew that that was what Nicodemus wanted. What's it's significant in the story of Christ? I vaguely remember there being a spear that they used to cut into Christ's side after He died, but unless the "knife" is actually a spearhead... What's the deal?

Curator's edit, Below are links to some of the responses I'll highlight.  -Serack

Quantus shows a plausible interpretation of what the "Knife" looks like
Quantus's excellent writeup on what the Relics could be
A quote of an alternate list by Phariah
Quantus's excellent post equating the Relics to some Egyptian concepts of the soul, and Eldest Gruff's excellent response.

Curator's edit 2:  I added some formatting to the OP -Serack

For additional discussion on the relics, see this topic
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:19:36 PM by Serack »

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
Re: The Religious Relics: What Are They?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 01:17:31 AM »
Spear of Longinus

That would be the 'knife'. The perceived possible function as a group would be the possibility of usage in a summoning or ritual. On their own some have legends attached to them that would be of use singularly, the Grail, Shroud and Spear come to mind...but others like the Placard and Crown would be interesting to see the direction they go in.
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 01:30:08 AM »
Another thing that might be important is the fact that there were five items in the armory.  That's enough to start looking into rituals and summonings the items might help in, not to mention whatever abilities the items may have on their own.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 02:37:02 AM »
Personally, I always attributed Harry's realization of which relic Nico truely wanted to the shroud, not the knife. Nico had just killed his own daughter, and it's hinted that he knew what was in the vault before the heist. While I honestly doubt it would have worked after what he pulled... I can't help but wonder if Nico's plan was to get the items, get away with his daughter's corpse, bring her back, and be in possession of all the relics*. I don't have any substantial support for this theory other than Harry stuffing the shroud into his duster pocket**, but... *shrug*

It's just a gut feeling.

* I support the "use in a summoning" theory, for these. Though, who I believe they are meant to summon, I'm still undecided.

** Correct me if I'm wrong here. I seam to remember this being the case. But, I don't have hard or softcover versions of the books. I only listen to the audiobooks. As a result, checking for exact details is difficult.
Cookies are awesome. Join the Dark Side.

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 02:40:57 AM »
Personally, I always attributed Harry's realization of which relic Nico truely wanted to the shroud, not the knife. Nico had just killed his own daughter, and it's hinted that he knew what was in the vault before the heist. While I honestly doubt it would have worked after what he pulled... I can't help but wonder if Nico's plan was to get the items, get away with his daughter's corpse, bring her back, and be in possession of all the relics*. I don't have any substantial support for this theory other than Harry stuffing the shroud into his duster pocket**, but... *shrug*

It's just a gut feeling.

* I support the "use in a summoning" theory, for these. Though, who I believe they are meant to summon, I'm still undecided.

** Correct me if I'm wrong here. I seam to remember this being the case. But, I don't have hard or softcover versions of the books. I only listen to the audiobooks. As a result, checking for exact details is difficult.

“I’d tell you to give me the knife, Dresden,” Nicodemus said, still smiling. “But unlike your friend, I don’t do second chances. And you won’t have any need for it in a moment.” SG.

Twas the blade he was after.
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 08:49:25 AM »
That blade has serious potential, I bet it allows the power of hell to act on earth, like the sword do for heaven, or at least potentially, hopefully it could become the 4th sword of the cross.
k moinuddin

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 10:28:09 AM »
Speaking of Magic Knives, what ever happened to that one that Dresden used at Chicken Pizza?

We know that being used in powerful rituals and such can cause Athame to gain power of their own, and the Red Court's bloodline ritual was quite a thing.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 01:40:33 PM »
Speaking of Magic Knives, what ever happened to that one that Dresden used at Chicken Pizza?

We know that being used in powerful rituals and such can cause Athame to gain power of their own, and the Red Court's bloodline ritual was quite a thing.
He probably let it drop on the floor after he killed Susan, I do not think he kept it.

And then it was removed by the same people who removed all the bullets, swords and dead bodies and prepared the site for the tourists again.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline isoycrazy

• Conversationalist
  • Seeking Harry's Insanity to help make me Sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 01:53:37 PM »
Lea might have it, as a keepsake from her time slaying and killing.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 02:00:06 PM »
Lea might have it, as a keepsake from her time slaying and killing.

Now I'm imagining Lea as one of those bragging parents with a trophy-shelf of all her Kid's Awards:

"This is from the time my 'ickle Godson blew up a Walker with a Gas Station. And this is from the time he burned his Master alive in a duel. This one is from when he burned a mansion full of Vampires to the ground..."  ;D

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 02:04:29 PM »
I tend to believe however that Lea's history with ritual knives means she probably would have steered clear of this one. Fool me once type deal  :P

wizard nelson

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 07:14:42 PM »
Another thing that might be important is the fact that there were five items in the armory.  That's enough to start looking into rituals and summonings the items might help in, not to mention whatever abilities the items may have on their own.
also in changes there are five stars in an empty sky when Harry became winter knight, described as jewels on lady nights neck. I wonder if these have signifcants to these five items, and farther to Stars and stones. Query, besides the 3 swords can anyone think of five positive forces?

The above factoid is also part of why I associate the knives as one.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:29:48 PM by wizard nelson »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 07:43:40 PM »
a fairly similar discussion is happening over here:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,45369.0.html
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 07:55:43 PM »
also in changes there are five stars in an empty sky when Harry became winter knight, described as jewels on lady nights neck. I wonder if these have signifcants to these five items, and farther to Stars and stones. Query, besides the 3 swords can anyone think of five positive forces?

That's actually a really nice catch as far as stars and stones go.  It makes sense that the Stone Table would play a role in the BAT.

What do you mean by five positive forces?

We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 08:35:06 PM »
Twas the blade he was after.

Thanks.

Now I'm imagining Lea as one of those bragging parents with a trophy-shelf of all her Kid's Awards:

"This is from the time my 'ickle Godson blew up a Walker with a Gas Station. And this is from the time he burned his Master alive in a duel. This one is from when he burned a mansion full of Vampires to the ground..."  ;D

This needs to be a short story.

I tend to believe however that Lea's history with ritual knives means she probably would have steered clear of this one. Fool me once type deal  :P

True...

That's actually a really nice catch as far as stars and stones go.  It makes sense that the Stone Table would play a role in the BAT.

What do you mean by five positive forces?

Could it have something to do with Harry's pentacle? You know, the five elements bound within human control and all that? Or, could it be the other way around? Harry's pentacle and the five elements bound within human control having to do with the five stars/five of whatever else might fit here?
Cookies are awesome. Join the Dark Side.