Author Topic: Paranet Papers  (Read 9296 times)

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Paranet Papers
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 03:10:54 PM »
Seriously, thanks for calling these to our attention, especially the stats, which are my weak point.

And the stats blocks are images, which is why they're not searchable. :(
@jeditigger on Twitter
Quote from: Spot
BatPooh! You shall be known as BatPooh now. Yup.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 03:19:09 PM »
Something else I noticed about the pdf, while the main text is searchable, none of the statblocks are.

It's possible that's due to some blending of transparency elements together with text elements. Not sure if it can be addressed, but we'll see.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Chee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 03:22:42 PM »
That's kind of what I figured the case was, but I wanted to point it out because they were searchable in YS and OW.

Offline Magizoologist

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
Page 80 has a crossed out note by Butters that actually says "[REDACTED]," which is unusual as these places usually contain actual words without formatting, not to mention it's not in Butters' handwriting, so I'm wondering if actual text was supposed to be there and wasn't.
My predictions:
Harry is Cowl. Outsiders and Denarians are the same "species." Harry turns out to be Merlin somehow, too, possibly by taking his mantle.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 06:06:40 PM »
Listens to Wind (p 326) has Great Endurance but only 3 Physical Stress.

Offline Magizoologist

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 06:24:59 PM »
Page 188 has a section on Buenos Aires that Murphy and Billy briefly discuss, and there's a paragraph of Will's text from the sticky note in the entry. It doesn't seem like Billy is repeating the text because I don't think the letter writer would have used the word "totally."
My predictions:
Harry is Cowl. Outsiders and Denarians are the same "species." Harry turns out to be Merlin somehow, too, possibly by taking his mantle.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 01:43:03 AM »
p195, there's a sidebar that says "But what happens if you (or someone you know) tries to carve out a little space of the Nevernever for themselves? We included some rules for that on page 243."  Except that p243 has nothing of the sort... nor does anywhere else that I can find in the books.  Having had a PC try to carve out their own demesne before, I was really looking forward to some advice on the topic...

Offline Chee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 01:59:15 AM »
Something else that strikes me a little weird, but why is the Plot Devices and You just smack dab in the middle of the Who's Who? Was that intentional or was that something that might have been meant to be at the beginning of the chapter?

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 02:06:50 AM »
If memory serves, this was to facilitate layout.
@jeditigger on Twitter

Offline Chee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 02:16:09 AM »
Oh, hey, found another XX

Molly's Statblock pg308 Under One Woman Rave, 'This spell is written up in detail on page XX' should be page 279

*nods* Good to know.

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 02:20:10 AM »
Oh, hey, found another XX

Molly's Statblock pg308 Under One Woman Rave, 'This spell is written up in detail on page XX' should be page 279

Got that one. Thank you! Really appreciate the help.
@jeditigger on Twitter

Offline Chee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 02:37:01 AM »
Its no problem, I've been dying to tear into this stuff for months.

Offline Chee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2015, 02:57:46 AM »
I think someone else mentioned it elsewhere, but on Silk's statblock pg33, according to YS, Lawbreakers only upgrade to -2 and +2 (+3 if you have 3 different Lawbreakers). So her powers should read Lawbreaker (First) -2, Lawbreaker (Fourth) -2, her TRC -9 instead.

EDIT: And the descriptions of the shifts she can draw for her spells support that already, btw.

EDIT2: Flicking through some of the other peeps with Lawbreakers

Orpheus pg34 All three of his should be priced at -2 if he wants the +2 bonus, increasing TRC to -18
Moria pg37 Her Lawbreaker should have (First) stuck on it since she killed someone

I think everywhere past Vegas are correct on the Lawbreakers. Though it does feel like both Silk and Juan Ramirez (who is called a Psychomancer) should have Ritual (Psychomancy) instead of Channeling (Spirit)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 03:21:35 AM by Chee »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2015, 05:53:34 AM »
Most of my observations are in the thread I started, but I figure it's worth copying the typo reports over here.

So here are some of the typos and small oddities that I've caught. I only included the things that I figured could plausibly be addressed in this final moment.

This is all copypasta, so expect awkward phrasing and unrelated bits attached to the phrases you care about.

Quote from: Me
Fortunato's description says that his Greater Glamours are of Legendary quality. But they're actually of Legendary + 1 quality.

Brianna's writeup should say Bows (Guns) instead of just Guns, like Fortunato's. Also, is her bow really weapon 4?

Silk's writeup is wrong. Lawbreaker's cost caps at -2. Unless there's some new rule in the Paranet Papers, of course. Also, enthralling people with Channelling seems a bit much. I wouldn't let a PC do that without Ritual or Thaumaturgy.

They should specify which Lawbreaker Power Moira has. I'm guessing First, since she killed that guy in her backstory. A bit indirectly, but it probably counts. Also, she needs at least Fair Lore for that focus. Unless they changed the rules, of course.

On page 57, the paragraph that starts with "a few years ago" is missing an indent.

Also, two odd things: Sveta lacks a Trouble Aspect, and Lara apparently needs a focus to cast a 4-power fire spell despite her base fire power being 4.

Missing period in Boris's Motivation.

Trappings of Summer is not a +1 Catch.

I'm not sure if the Saboteur Stunt does anything. Isn't that a standard Craftsmanship effect?

Koschei's statblocks are a bit messed up. It says "OTHER ASPECTS" above the skills of his wizard version, and the spacing between skill names and ratings is inconsistent on both sheets. And the wizard version has a total Refresh cost of "-27 or more", but I count 45 Refresh of stuff on his sheet. And the vampire version has no listed Discipline, even though he's got 4 Hunger stress boxes and an extra Hunger mild.

"any purely supernatural source of damage" is not a +0 Catch.

I think knowing the Fount's location might be a worthwhile Supernatural Sense. And since "any purely supernatural source of damage" isn't actually a +0 Catch, Alec's got a point of Refresh to spare...

Also, Alec should probably have at least Average Performance. He says he plays the fiddle.

There's a period missing in the note about giving Manny the Pure Mortal bonus.

Dougie's tracking skills probably deserve a Stunt or a Supernatural Sense.

Coat-Like-Midnight has a typo in his statblock: it should say Pack Instincts, not Pack Instinct. Also I was really surprised to see that he doesn't have Cloak of Shadows. Still, I like the character a lot.

The Colonel's statblock claims he has Good defences, but they only look Fair to me. And he's weirdly lacking in any ability that'd let him zap someone into ashes. I was expecting Channelling or something.

That aside, the Sentinel statblocks are hinky. Ritual and Seelie Magic seems redundant. There's a missing space between "Supernatural Sense (Sonar)" and "[-1]". There's a missing comma between "+1 mild consequence" and "Armor: 2" in the Fomor version. The Catches seem undervalued. And it's weird that one version has Hulking Size and the other doesn't...the thing's size isn't in dispute, is it? I guess maybe it's to let the Fomor version use Stealth...

I'm pretty sure Listening is a Power on Harry's sheet now. It should probably a Power on Missus Simmons' sheet too, for consistency's sake.

Swampjack should probably have foci.

If Withered Jim is creating giant mutant bugs, then his Insectomancy probably isn't just Summoning and Binding with a different type of being.

There are also three other notes which I'm spoilering because they're really petty and probably not worth your time.

(click to show/hide)

I'm going to bed now. I'll probably find more stuff tomorrow. Be better to find stuff now while it's fixable, but I need my sleep.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 05:27:10 AM »
Not sure if Harry Dresden's new writeup should have
(click to show/hide)