Poll

Who attacked Arctis Tor?  What was their motivation?  

The Circle
11 (21.2%)
The Outsiders/Nemesis (formerly known as the Black Council)
31 (59.6%)
The Red Court
0 (0%)
The Fomor
2 (3.8%)
A faction attacking while Maeve was in charge, so that she could sabotage the defenses
8 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Who Attacked Arctis Tor, and Why  (Read 70754 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Who Attacked Arctis Tor, and Why
« Reply #225 on: February 27, 2015, 05:28:49 PM »
I don't even think when we see Mab on Earth that she in her entirety is even on Earth.  I go along with what others have stated that the construct we see on Earth is a whisper of power from that other being which resides within NN.

The NN is walled off from Earth with a threshold.  Those being that exist within NN lose power when crossing that threshold. 
I think the only being that could extend a complete invitation to cross the threshold without loss of power would be Mother Earth.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:34:45 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 27, 2015, 06:52:25 PM »
Kringle says something to the effect of "Before Halloween, I'm not Santa; afterwards, I am."  Maybe his Mantle is dependent on when in the year it is?

This remark was made as a complaint about how early Christmas Season has begun.

Offline Al-Hajj Bilal Ammar Jihad

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 27, 2015, 11:40:54 PM »
I don't even think when we see Mab on Earth that she in her entirety is even on Earth.  I go along with what others have stated that the construct we see on Earth is a whisper of power from that other being which resides within NN.

The NN is walled off from Earth with a threshold.  Those being that exist within NN lose power when crossing that threshold. 
I think the only being that could extend a complete invitation to cross the threshold without loss of power would be Mother Earth.

Gotta take issue with this interpretation, my brother:

A threshold is established by the beings that inhabit a space (structure/building whatever).  I see no evidence--in the DV at least--that a world sentience/personification of the earth even exists, and in the RW posit that, if it does (big if), it's some form of "collective consciousness" of which all living inhabitants are a part (while ironically being unconscious of it, for the most part).

There has been some suggestion that fire ants, for example, may represent a "hive mind" that extends over many square miles, incorporate millions of nests and billions of individuals.  Similarly, Acacia trees can chemically communicate their "distress" when fed upon by giraffes or elephants, such that neighboring trees in a radius of several miles increase production of tannic acid to make their own leaves less palatable.  But this is a long way from extrapolating a worldwide consciousness.

Therefore if a threshold exists, it would have to be generated by the beings inhabiting the earth in this dimension.  For a variety of reasons I think that would be difficult to maintain on a worldwide basis.  It may depend on the nature of the beings seeking to cross from the NN--since the Fae or largely of human origin, they may not be inhibited by "threshold" effects, if these exist between NN/our world.  Some of the really evil bastards might have more trouble.

Historically, at least in RW beliefs (including my own), other sentient beings besides ourselves have inhabited this world.  Jinni, for example, were once earth's sole sentient inhabitants until they departed to "al-Gaib"--the Unseen Realm--which is close enough to be considered the NN in my book.  And at lease some of them readily move back and forth between dimensions.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:42:42 PM by Al-Hajj Bilal Ammar Jihad »
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn.  He will bear thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all Darkness, where thy living flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked before the Lidless Eye.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 27, 2015, 11:56:29 PM »

A threshold is established by the beings that inhabit a space (structure/building whatever).  I see no evidence--in the DV at least--that a world sentience/personification of the earth even exists, and in the RW posit that, if it does (big if), it's some form of "collective consciousness" of which all living inhabitants are a part (while ironically being unconscious of it, for the most part).

There has been some suggestion that fire ants, for example, may represent a "hive mind" that extends over many square miles, incorporate millions of nests and billions of individuals.  Similarly, Acacia trees can chemically communicate their "distress" when fed upon by giraffes or elephants, such that neighboring trees in a radius of several miles increase production of tannic acid to make their own leaves less palatable.  But this is a long way from extrapolating a worldwide consciousness.

Therefore if a threshold exists, it would have to be generated by the beings inhabiting the earth in this dimension.  For a variety of reasons I think that would be difficult to maintain on a worldwide basis.  It may depend on the nature of the beings seeking to cross from the NN--since the Fae or largely of human origin, they may not be inhibited by "threshold" effects, if these exist between NN/our world.  Some of the really evil bastards might have more trouble.

Historically, at least in RW beliefs (including my own), other sentient beings besides ourselves have inhabited this world.  Jinni, for example, were once earth's sole sentient inhabitants until they departed to "al-Gaib"--the Unseen Realm--which is close enough to be considered the NN in my book.  And at lease some of them readily move back and forth between dimensions.

Ooooooh, but what if everyone's belief in reality and the real world is the source of the barrier between the earth and the never-never?  And the barrier grows weaker on Halloween not because of some cosmic cycle, but because people believe in the supernatural more on that night than any other, thus making it happen? 

Don't mind me, just eating my Chinese food and tripping on the beef and broccoli sauce.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 28, 2015, 12:02:17 AM »
Ooooooh, but what if everyone's belief in reality and the real world is the source of the barrier between the earth and the never-never?  And the barrier grows weaker on Halloween not because of some cosmic cycle, but because people believe in the supernatural more on that night than any other, thus making it happen? 

Don't mind me, just eating my Chinese food and tripping on the beef and broccoli sauce.

Enjoy.  Gotta get hold of a copy of CD (left mine on an airplane) and review what Bob said about Halloween.  Get back to you on it.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn.  He will bear thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all Darkness, where thy living flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked before the Lidless Eye.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 28, 2015, 12:04:13 AM »

Your entirely right to take issue with the interpretation.  In particular the part about Mother Earth.  When I wrote it, I considered who would be that 'person' who is allowed to invite.  I disagreed with any one mere mortal as having the ability to give permission to an entity to completely come over without any loss in power.  So, I made a guess as to what entity could play that part.

That said, it is obvious that mortals do get a privileged position in being able to summon things to Earth.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:07:43 AM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 28, 2015, 07:06:11 AM »
Your entirely right to take issue with the interpretation.  In particular the part about Mother Earth.  When I wrote it, I considered who would be that 'person' who is allowed to invite.  I disagreed with any one mere mortal as having the ability to give permission to an entity to completely come over without any loss in power.  So, I made a guess as to what entity could play that part.

That said, it is obvious that mortals do get a privileged position in being able to summon things to Earth.

Sometimes certain mental associations give me the creeps.  Your post reminded me of a short-story I read in one of the old SF pulp magazines back in the 60s or 70s.  I remember neither title nor author.

Theme was that a guy on a psych ward in, I think NYC, and who thought he was Napoleon actually was Napoleon--he'd been whisked from his own time and place and a delusional lookalike from the mid-20th century who thought he was Napoleon was sent to replace him on the battlefield.  At Waterloo.

A disembodied voice explained to him, as he sat on his bunk at night in the locked psych ward that humans were merely the pawns in an eternal game played between all-powerful factions identified only as "the Red", "the Black" and "the White".  One of them made the switch as a gambit to alter history, thus furthering its own position vis-a-vis the other two.  These three factions controlled all reality, all power, and formed a collective consciousness that for all practical purposes was "God" to the poor ignorant humans with whom they played.

Napoleon finally demanded to know these "Red" "Black" and "White" puppet masters.  The voice replied, "It will drive you mad."  Napoleon repeated his demand.  The voice told him, "Walk to the door."

He did, but for several minutes he saw nothing.  Then he looked closer, and saw a black ant crawling on the door.  Napoleon went mad.

Later he was "cured" of his delusion and released.  And the game went on...