Author Topic: Paranet Papers  (Read 3263 times)

Offline killking72

• Participant
    • View Profile
Paranet Papers
« on: February 04, 2015, 09:11:08 AM »
I didn't see anything posted here, but JediTigger from EvilHat posted on the DFRPG subreddit. Apparently the only thing left is indexing and to get Jim's blessing. Also an update to spellcasting, and it includes the books/side stories from changes up to ghost story
https://www.reddit.com/r/DresdenFilesRPG/comments/2upmii/paranet_papers_is_practically_done/

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Paranet Papers
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:46:28 AM »
Back in mid-ish december, Fred Hicks also shared the ToC: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6gxsje2yne3suy/Screenshot%202014-12-19%2014.57.28.png?dl=0

I've been salivating ever since...

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 01:53:50 PM »
Soul-Fire stress Track....

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 04:42:34 PM »
Wow. Now I'm super excited to see how they've improved upon the rules :)
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:07:45 PM »
I dunno, I'm a little nervous. The custom Powers in the Las Vegas chapter were a bit uneven. A spellcasting rewrite on that level would cause more problems than it solves.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 11:30:21 AM »
I have to say, my first reaction to seeing an added stress track for Soulfire was "Awesome!" but the more I think about it the less certain I get. Done right it I'm sure it can be superb, but I sure hope they haven't made Soulfire-users capable of casting _more_ spells per scene than non-users because I don't think we've seen Harry have more staying power with Soulfire than before, that's primarily a Winter Mantle thing...

About the general rules update, I don't get the feeling that it's really a 'rewrite'. A lot of the headlines in the ToC looks more along the line of essay-style 'here's how you can use it' rather than rule changes. "How Long Does My Effect Last", "Do You Even Need To Roll", "The Philosophy of the Elements", "Hexing".

Of course, there's definitely new rules in there! "Evocation and Simple Actions" has to be some small amount of new rules since Evo at the moment is only described as three of the four Conflict actions + Counterspell (which is sort of an attack against a spell rather than an active opponent). "Mental Toughness" is also definitely new stuff, but I don't think we have to fear a complete rewrite of the magic system.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 01:16:39 PM »
I'm really curious.  I always thought the mental stress mechanic was the best way to represent Soul-Fire.  In fact, I found it fits Soul-Fire better than it does regular spell casting.

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »
I've been pondering for a while now the best way to utilize soulfire with a stress track.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with and how closely it matches my attempts.

Offline WadeL

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 07:36:48 PM »
Does anyone have any clue what is meant by "Cheer-saving Thaumaturgy"?

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 09:19:25 PM »
If I had to venture a guess, it's how not to get bogged down in game-play with setting up and casting thaumaturgy spells.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 12:46:27 AM »
I'm really excited to see what the write up for Kenku and all of the changes, that have been made.

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 03:51:48 PM »
I really should check these boards more often. :)

Publication date is 6/1, as Fred posted elsewhere.
@jeditigger on Twitter
Quote from: Spot
BatPooh! You shall be known as BatPooh now. Yup.

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 06:41:03 PM »
For those that want it, you can get a free copy of the Las Vegas portion of the supplement.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/139271/Dresden-Files-RPG-Paranet-Papers-Vegas-Chapter-Early-Preview

If you don't already have a Drive-Thru RPG account it's quick and easy to create. It comes in Adobe format (artwork and all!). It's about 50 pages long.

I downloaded, printed and read the whole thing last night.

Sheer genius. I'm using it... soon.
"Sufficiently advanced technology," my ass.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 02:15:08 AM »
I'm really fond of the Vegas chapter. Lenny lived a long while in Vegas, and he wrote that one from experience, of a sort. It's bitter and it's glitter and it's just about perfect.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/