Author Topic: Codex Alera Timeline  (Read 95482 times)

Offline Daghda

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Codex Alera Timeline
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2009, 04:22:54 PM »
Now the SS, that seems like a likely place to take the story. I mean the Codex is just oozing with anti-semitism.

Offline jasowat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2009, 12:18:59 PM »
I am making an assumption that FoC takes place at the same time as our own time.
That means that FoC takes place in 2004 AD (or CE)

Date in Our TimeDate Relative to Furies of CalderonEvents
9 AD1,995 Years beforeRoman 17th, 18th and 19th Legions plus Germanic opponents sent to Carna
10 AD1,994 Years beforeApia Founded on Carna
C. 500 AD~1,500 Years beforeFury Crafting Discovered
C. 1,000 AD~1,000 Years beforeHouse of Gauis becomes First Lords of Alera
C. 1,150 AD~850 Years beforeSenatorum founded & Gray Tower built
C. 1,500 AD~500 Years beforeChildren of the Sun destroyed in Feverthorn Jungle
1989 AD16 Years beforeGauis Septimus Wounded at the Battle of the Seven Hills
Gauis Septimus marries Isana

1989 AD15 Years beforeFirst Battle ofCalderon
Gauis Septimus Killed by Kalurus Brencis Majoris, High Lord Rhodes & Lady Invidia + others,
Gauis Octavian Born

1999 AD 10 Years BeforeGauis Sextus marries Attica Caria
2004 AD1 Day BeforeAmara ex Cursori and Fidelias ex Cursori begin final training exercise for Amara ex Cursori

I would like to flush this out more so posts and I will update as more info comes in I am stopping at the start of Furies of Calderon as we know what happens from there on out

Thaks Priscilla for the correction (but what are the odds that it was exactly between us)

In FoC Amara notes that Sextus married Caria three years ago.

Exitao

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2009, 01:26:26 AM »
I also tend to think that the Legions were more probably from between 300-400 AD.  Why?  They have stirrups. 

Also, you can't be sure that one year on Carna equals one year on Earth.  Suns, solar systems, planets, planetary orbits all have different sizes which would effect the definition of a local year.  I know we don't have year numbers in the books, but you can't really use our years.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2009, 02:29:16 AM »
I also tend to think that the Legions were more probably from between 300-400 AD.  Why?  They have stirrups. 

Also, you can't be sure that one year on Carna equals one year on Earth.  Suns, solar systems, planets, planetary orbits all have different sizes which would effect the definition of a local year.  I know we don't have year numbers in the books, but you can't really use our years.

Well, the ages given in the books seem to correspond to the appropriate Terran-year ages.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline URIELa.k.aWATCHMAN

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2009, 02:56:49 AM »
i couldn't find on page 40 of FC where it says that isana could not have children i looked it up after seeing the timeline ....i dont think thats right

Exitao

« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2009, 04:29:27 AM »
i couldn't find on page 40 of FC where it says that isana could not have children i looked it up after seeing the timeline ....i dont think thats right

It didn't say it was impossible, just that it wasn't going to happen.  At her age, being as skinny as a boy, who would want her?  That was her thinking at least.

Shecky:

Why do you say they correspond with Terran years?  In a land where every human has enough water furies to use the fury-bound water faucets, the years could be longer and the humans age slower. 

All we know is that they are Aleran years.  I do recall that Butcher stated that they are "contemporary" but in fiction, there's always a +/- factor.

Offline jasowat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2009, 06:26:14 AM »
Why do you say they correspond with Terran years?  In a land where every human has enough water furies to use the fury-bound water faucets, the years could be longer and the humans age slower. 

All we know is that they are Aleran years.  I do recall that Butcher stated that they are "contemporary" but in fiction, there's always a +/- factor.

Actually, we have Tavi as evidence.  He had no crafting at all until he was about 20, but aged at a fairly normal rate.  There really isn't any reason to assume time doesn't pass at the same rate.

Exitao

« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2009, 12:33:56 PM »
No, Tavi did not age at a regular rate.  His mother stunted his growth through her furies.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2009, 02:45:45 PM »

Apparently, by what information we do have, they correspond closely enough as not to matter in any practical way. Otherwise, this line of thought becomes parallel to that which produced the claim that the Iliad was not written by Homer but by another Greek of the same name. :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline URIELa.k.aWATCHMAN

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2009, 05:16:05 PM »
Now that we are at the end of this series i hope to crap that tavi pulls some kick ass fury asswhippins. I think we can assume that by the cover. All of the other covers dipict(sp?) a certain scene that happens real close to the cover art. I wonder what that woman was at the end of book 5 she told tavi that his grandfather called her alera. Ehern saw her when they were in ceres when he walked to the top of the wall and stopped at the top o the stairs and overheard Gauis. Is she a great fury?? is that how they pass there fury to the next in the fam? or some kind of bond with a great fury?                                                                                                           

kalare had a great fury in is home and there was one in the capital can we assume that there is one in every city that allows them some kind of control over the furys??

if tavi manifests a fury could kitai use it like he could??

last quest..... is tavi furies going to be really strong because he is so much older? so by his mother watercrafting him as a baby he might be the stongest in alera in all the 1000 years.....we can only hope right??

Offline pdqsport

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2009, 08:23:13 AM »
No, Tavi did not age at a regular rate.  His mother stunted his growth through her furies.

Yes he aged just as anyone else did.  His growth was stunted.  Not his age.
 :)

Exitao

« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2009, 09:27:06 PM »
Yes he aged just as anyone else did.  His growth was stunted.  Not his age.
 :)

<exasperated sigh> How do you judge age?  In the young we judge it through growth.  As we get older, by signs of ageing.  Do you see where I'm going with this?

For all we know, Carna could have shorter years and with fatality rates and the effects of water crafting... well, all I'm saying is that it may be roughly contemporary, but trying to use our years/dates as a timeline is not worth the effort. 

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2009, 12:51:22 AM »
Now that we are at the end of this series i hope to crap that tavi pulls some kick ass fury asswhippins. I think we can assume that by the cover. All of the other covers dipict(sp?) a certain scene that happens real close to the cover art. I wonder what that woman was at the end of book 5 she told tavi that his grandfather called her alera. Ehern saw her when they were in ceres when he walked to the top of the wall and stopped at the top o the stairs and overheard Gauis. Is she a great fury?? is that how they pass there fury to the next in the fam? or some kind of bond with a great fury?                                                                                                           

if tavi manifests a fury could kitai use it like he could??

Answers to this and more can be found in the sample chapters currently available on the Main site, though I warn you they will only lead to more questions  :)

<exasperated sigh> How do you judge age?  In the young we judge it through growth.  As we get older, by signs of ageing.  Do you see where I'm going with this?

For all we know, Carna could have shorter years and with fatality rates and the effects of water crafting... well, all I'm saying is that it may be roughly contemporary, but trying to use our years/dates as a timeline is not worth the effort. 
Just because the accuracy cannot be confirmed doesnt mean it cant be fun to try.  Especially when talking on a board whose primary function is wild speculation.  Its what we dooo  :D

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline pdqsport

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2009, 08:50:24 AM »

His birth date was "X".  Today is "Y".  "Age" is a measure of TIME from "X" to "Y".  Nothing that his mother did to spike his bathwater changes either "X" or "Y".  Thus "Age" is not stunted.  His development was stunted, yes.  Growth and development may be (in some ways) interchangable.  Growth and age are not.

You might find the use of time as inaccurate to judge a person's "age".  I do not.

Exitao

« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2009, 10:45:48 AM »
His birth date was "X".  Today is "Y".  "Age" is a measure of TIME from "X" to "Y".  Nothing that his mother did to spike his bathwater changes either "X" or "Y".  Thus "Age" is not stunted.  His development was stunted, yes.  Growth and development may be (in some ways) interchangable.  Growth and age are not.

You might find the use of time as inaccurate to judge a person's "age".  I do not.

Look, a larger world with the same rotational speed will have more "time" in a day.  Even if they can divide it all evenly into 24 hours of 60 mins of 50 seconds each, those seconds would be longer.  Then again, they could be shorter.

Some can go for the orbit of the planet around its sun.  Years can be longer or shorter.

The variables you suggest are more variable than you want to comprehend.  The measurement of time is subjective.

18 years of Terran time is measured by 18 rotations around Sol. Which is not the same as 18 years of Martian time, which holds a different orbit:
The solar day (or sol) on Mars is only slightly longer than an Earth day: 24 hours, 39 minutes, and 35.244 seconds. A Martian year is equal to 1.8809 Earth years, or 1 year, 320 days, and 18.2 hours.

A one year old Martian would be different from a one year old Terran...  And we know nothing about Carna, but I will point out that probability tells us that it is extremely unlikely that Carna will have exactly the same orbit around its sun as our planet does ours.