Author Topic: Deirdre's Coin [Possible Spoilers]  (Read 31018 times)

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Deirdre's Coin [Possible Spoilers]
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:36:11 PM »
Did we ever find out the name of Deirdre's Fallen? Her angel in the coin? If not, I'd like someone to ask JB about it if they get ever the chance.

I do have a suggestion for a name, "Urumiel" taken from the name of this sword, the Urumi, which resembled her hair:

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 05:23:29 PM by Serack »
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Deirdre's Coin [Possible Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
Did we ever find out the name of Deirdre's Fallen? Her angel in the coin? If not, I'd like someone to ask JB about it if they get ever the chance.

I do have a suggestion for a name, "Urumiel" taken from the name of this sword, the Urumi, which resembled her hair:

That would be a cool name.  More important, who is Nick going to either hand off the coin to or trick into taking it up? 

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 01:53:46 PM »
  More important, who is Nick going to either hand off the coin to or trick into taking it up?

Considering his 'emotional attachment' to it, I would be surprised if he passed it off at all, or at least not so quickly. Once passed off, there is a good chance it would eventually wind up in the church or buried under some Wizard's sub-basement.

There are 30 coins, plenty for Nick to choose from.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 03:28:19 PM »
Considering his 'emotional attachment' to it, I would be surprised if he passed it off at all, or at least not so quickly. Once passed off, there is a good chance it would eventually wind up in the church or buried under some Wizard's sub-basement.
There are 30 coins, plenty for Nick to choose from.

But Nick *doesn't* have the others to choose from for elevating new henchmen.  Tessa and Rosanna made off with the bag containing most of the loose ones at the end of Small Favour, so Nic had to resort to retrieving Ursiel and Lasciel to rebuild his cadre from Death Masks.  Unless he went to extraordinary lengths to rescue them in the few minutes the escape from Hades took, those two coins are lost to him again for the long term.  Even if Saluriel (Cassius' Fallen) and most of the others in Church custody get busted out soon, Nic is a pariah with a price on his head - rolling with Tessa and Imariel for the next few decades is going to look a lot better to most of them.

Deirdre's Fallen might be the only one willing to take Nic's calls at this point.

I really do want to see some silver buried under a wizard's creepy prison-fortress island at some point, though.

Offline mid_life_crisis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 03:53:27 PM »
But Nick *doesn't* have the others to choose from for elevating new henchmen.  Tessa and Rosanna made off with the bag containing most of the loose ones at the end of Small Favour, so Nic had to resort to retrieving Ursiel and Lasciel to rebuild his cadre from Death Masks.  Unless he went to extraordinary lengths to rescue them in the few minutes the escape from Hades took, those two coins are lost to him again for the long term.  Even if Saluriel (Cassius' Fallen) and most of the others in Church custody get busted out soon, Nic is a pariah with a price on his head - rolling with Tessa and Imariel for the next few decades is going to look a lot better to most of them.

Deirdre's Fallen might be the only one willing to take Nic's calls at this point.

I really do want to see some silver buried under a wizard's creepy prison-fortress island at some point, though.
I hadn't considered this before.  You know the events of the end of Skin Game quickly spread amongst the fallen.  They (Nic and Anduriel) must have lost some serious credibility.
“Sex is like Bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.” - Mae West
Papa said, "son there's a lot of evil temptations out there in the world.  Best to try 'em all so you know which ones to avoid."
Sweat is fat cells crying.  - T-shirt wisdom

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »

Going back to SmF, there's a Denariian called "Urumviel" (yes, I know there's an extra "v" in there) that's described as having lots of muscle and a ridge of leathery plates going down its spine.

We've got nothing on the name of Dierdre's denariian, from SmF or elsewhere, though, so Urumiel is as good as any other.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:38:43 PM »
  Or it could go down one of two ways..

Nick has the Holy Grail now, what he said he wanted, but not whathe wanted.  If Michael is right, that object if it is a weapon, isn't a conventional one.  It might backfire and Nick will give that coin up, plus his own..  He might even wield the Sword of Love in the end, because in spite of everything he did still love his daughter.  Yeah, I know, unlikely, but had to put it down...

Or more likely;

Nick is isolated, he has been brought down and is at rock bottom..  He wants revenge...He knows now about the love between Harry and Murphy.  He lost his love, he knows tricking Harry into picking up a coin doesn't work.. So for the sheer revenge factor, he finds a way to trick Murphy into it.. She's been hurt, she made a couple of poor decisions regarding the Swords, she may never be as effective [because of injuries] physically as she once was. 

All of the above, even if her and Harry get together, make her vulnerable to Nick possibly tricking her into picking up the coin.  Revenge not just on Harry, but on her as well.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 02:07:07 AM »
 I have this theory that the new kid has alot of info about denarians, their symbols, their names, their sigils, and lots more. I wonder if it might even know spells to summon the coins in some circumstances, especially considering harry has access to soul fire. If properly contained or protected, then the coin would be impossible to summon, but say nic is acting sentimental and simply carries the coin with him, it might be possible to track or even summon it to him. Nic could be forced to bargin for it, also, i am betting any resurrection spells for his daughter, include the coin being present.
k moinuddin

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 03:11:04 AM »
I have this theory that the new kid has alot of info about denarians, their symbols, their names, their sigils, and lots more. I wonder if it might even know spells to summon the coins in some circumstances, especially considering harry has access to soul fire. If properly contained or protected, then the coin would be impossible to summon, but say nic is acting sentimental and simply carries the coin with him, it might be possible to track or even summon it to him. Nic could be forced to bargin for it, also, i am betting any resurrection spells for his daughter, include the coin being present.
  Except Deidre doesn't have a get out of Hades free card, and never will.  Remember what Hades said?  So while she may be safe from Heaven's justice, she will still pay for her crimes and I doubt that there is any bargain Nick can make to get her back.

Offline Eire

• Conversationalist
  • Peasant. But literate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 02:22:12 PM »
Last time you claimed that Murphy is already Denarian, now you say that she might pick up the coin... progress.
Your other theory-just no. Nick feelings towards Deidre have nothing to do with Love that was praised by St. Paul. He broke her, bended to his will abd used as a tool. He may even claim that he had best intentions.and be truly sorry after they were separated. But you know who.behaves exactly the same? Domestic abusers. Stalkers. Rapists. Shall we forgive them, because they are sad?
Every time you misspell Sanya's name, somebody decides not to give Dresden Files a chance.

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 02:29:23 PM »
What is the scenario even for Murphy picking up the coin? Nick doingthe same ploy he used on Harry? (i.e. Tossing the coin in front of Maggie with only Murph to see and pick it up.)

I like the suggestion of Deidre's Fallen's name. I doubt there will be a new host for her. Perhaps Nick will have two Fallen Angels whispering in his ear.
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 04:21:33 AM »
Last time you claimed that Murphy is already Denarian, now you say that she might pick up the coin... progress.
Your other theory-just no. Nick feelings towards Deidre have nothing to do with Love that was praised by St. Paul. He broke her, bended to his will abd used as a tool. He may even claim that he had best intentions.and be truly sorry after they were separated. But you know who.behaves exactly the same? Domestic abusers. Stalkers. Rapists. Shall we forgive them, because they are sad?
  Revenge, my dear, revenge..   Nick has lost the one person he has ever loved, he is at a all time low, he has got to get somebody.   So go after the one or ones that Harry loves the most, that would be, Murphy, Maggie, Eb and Thomas..  Don't know of coins can change genders, so I think Thomas and Eb are safe.  I can see him going afer little Maggie, but he has to get past Mouse.. Can Foo Dogs take up a coin?  That leaves Murphy, I think she is vulnerable... 

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 04:30:22 AM »
Don't know of coins can change genders, so I think Thomas and Eb are safe.

... Huh? Lasciel is identified as female and we spend five books watching her try to get Harry to partner with her.
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline Seidmadr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 05:18:08 AM »
... Huh? Lasciel is identified as female and we spend five books watching her try to get Harry to partner with her.

I suspect Harry, if he took up the coin, would've looked quite similar to Thomas if he did...

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 06:18:24 AM »
I suspect Harry, if he took up the coin, would've looked quite similar to Thomas if he did...

Harry should be used to fighting in the buff anyway.  ;)
War Cry -