Author Topic: Request A Character  (Read 130823 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Request A Character
« Reply #285 on: March 09, 2016, 08:41:11 AM »
Looks good. Never played Undertale but I've got a decent understanding of it through online osmosis, and this seems pretty accurate.

Only real sticking point is the Incite Effect. Does he ever do anything with it other than attack? If not, then I don't see any reason to require two purchases of Additional Effect.

Also, I think he should buy the Avoidable option.

In theory this should be a Natural Weaponry thing, but I can see why you went with Incite Effect here. Mechanically it's just a better choice if you don't have Strength and want to use an unconventional skill.

PS: He's got Stealth twice.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 09, 2016, 01:13:03 PM »
I've never played Undertale, but if Sans simply can't be hit without being ambushed, wouldn't that be better modelled by Physical Immunity? As it is, if you have an entire party working together in stacking aspects, you'd be able to hit him in straight up combat.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 09, 2016, 02:45:31 PM »
Looks good. Never played Undertale but I've got a decent understanding of it through online osmosis, and this seems pretty accurate.

Only real sticking point is the Incite Effect. Does he ever do anything with it other than attack? If not, then I don't see any reason to require two purchases of Additional Effect.

95% of the time, his gravity manipulation is more maneuver-ish than an actual attack. He's attacking you throughout his engagement, but it's fairly clear that he actually uses it in a distinctly different fashion than his bone attacks . That being said, I think his gasterblasters and his other bone attacks are fairly similar that I'm gonna compress them down into one effect.

Also, I think he should buy the Avoidable option.

In theory this should be a Natural Weaponry thing, but I can see why you went with Incite Effect here. Mechanically it's just a better choice if you don't have Strength and want to use an unconventional skill.

PS: He's got Stealth twice.

D'oh!, yup, and D'OH, respectively.

I've never played Undertale, but if Sans simply can't be hit without being ambushed, wouldn't that be better modelled by Physical Immunity? As it is, if you have an entire party working together in stacking aspects, you'd be able to hit him in straight up combat.

Actually, this is actually further reason to leave him as is in that regard. I'd let a dedicated party stacking aspects and getting clever hit him, but definitionally, by the time you get anywhere near actually engaging the guy in combat, you have no allies (because you killed everyone). Leaving it as is is actually a fairly good way of going "if you made friends instead of trying to slaughter literally everyone, you could have a chance against this guy (buuuut he wouldn't try to fight you anyway).

Also, gonna give him one more aspect. Can't believe I forgot it, actually.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 09, 2016, 06:22:29 PM »
Double post: Forgot to mention: he incites with Lore. Because of course he does.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 12, 2016, 10:16:17 PM »
Triple post: Also @Sancta: I'm worried about the balance of Karmic Retribution. I'm not sure if it's too powerful, powerfiul enough, etc.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 13, 2016, 01:44:44 AM »
It basically negates a -1 penalty to hit, so I'd say it's balanced. Thing is, now that I'm looking at the rules for Incite Effect...you need Mass Effect to use Persistent Effect. Only zone attacks can be extended.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #291 on: March 13, 2016, 03:27:46 AM »
That sucks.  One of my characters gets a lot of use from it.  Persistent attacks don't seem balanced to me anyways.  Dot spells/attacks can mess up the action economy. 

Blocks & maneuvers seem more balanced.

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2016, 08:26:32 AM »
May I request an apprentice wizard who is on the run after the mysterious death of their master - the previous Blackstaff? As a result, he or she possesses the staff. It was an idea I had for a friend's campaign that fell through. I'm curious to see what you might do with it.
Cookies are awesome. Join the Dark Side.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 15, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »
Seems tricky. Apprentices don't generally have any spare Refresh at all for stuff like the Blackstaff.

I guess I don't have to stick to the standard power levels, but I prefer to.

Maybe I'll make the apprentice Submerged, with a 2-Refresh Blackstaff or a 3-Refresh Blackstaff and some hole in their wizard package.

What rules did you have in mind for the staff?

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 15, 2016, 11:15:10 AM »
That's generally what we do in my group. Apprentices tend to have Channeling/Ritual or both, rather than full Evocation and Thaumaturgy. The groups I've played with(a while back) started off submerged after the first time.

As for the Blackstaff, there's a write-up for it on pg. 332 of the Paranet Papers. Paraphrasing: It weighs in at [-4] refresh Item of Power, with the usual stuff you'd expect from that. It also means whenever you use the staff to cast a spell that violates the Laws, you're treated as if you've got the full +3 from Lawbreaker and don't have to take a level of it afterwards. It's also happy to help, and acts as a source of sponsored magic for... I think another -2? I'd have to double check to make sure I got all that right...

Good luck, I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 16, 2016, 12:19:13 AM »
It basically negates a -1 penalty to hit, so I'd say it's balanced. Thing is, now that I'm looking at the rules for Incite Effect...you need Mass Effect to use Persistent Effect. Only zone attacks can be extended.

Fixed
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 16, 2016, 05:54:13 AM »
The Paranet Papers are terribly unclear about how much the Blackstaff actually costs.

4 Refresh before the IoP discount? 4 Refresh after the IoP discount? 6 Refresh after all discounts, as implied by Eb's Refresh total? Also, are there Evocation/Thaumaturgy discounts?

Whatever. I'm statting up an apprentice with 4 Refresh to spare. If you use these stats, I'll let you worry about all that nonsense.

Also leaving his item loadout blank, because I figure it'll depend on how you round out his stats.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 17, 2016, 03:00:36 AM »
I love what you've done with the idea. The backstory is fun and would offer tons of opportunities for adventure. I do, however, find it both hilarious and creepy that you somehow managed to tag it with my real name(first, not last).  :o ???

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 17, 2016, 03:27:37 AM »
I love what you've done with the idea. The backstory is fun and would offer tons of opportunities for adventure. I do, however, find it both hilarious and creepy that you somehow managed to tag it with my real name(first, not last).  :o ???

Sanctaphrax can stalk over the Internet. It's a superpower.

He's used it for good so far (and for making people post).

Sanctaphrax, please do not be tempted by cookies. We will burn Orbius as many times as you want.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 17, 2016, 11:59:18 PM »
It was a coincidence this time, I swear.