Author Topic: Request A Character  (Read 129766 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Request A Character
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2014, 10:42:59 PM »
I don't want to step on your toes, Sancta, but this one caught my attention and spurred my creativity.

Don't worry about it, I really don't mind.

Now, as for that terramancer knight...

Actually, I don't know this guy's name (Chest Deep)

Or much of his backstory. I think I've got enough to go on, though.

High Concept: Tectonic Teutonic Knight
Trouble Aspect: Cursed With Magic
Other Aspects: Demon Hunter, Attuned To Metal, Truly Devout
Skills:
Superb: Conviction, Discipline
Great: Athletics, Alertness
Good: Endurance, Fists
Fair: Lore, Empathy
Average: Presence, Rapport
Stunts:
Holy Warrior (Conviction): Use Conviction for knowledge of theology, pilgrimage routes, church politics, and other such things.
Attuned To Metal (Discipline): Wield metallic melee weapons with Discipline.
Powers:
Channelling (Earth) [-2]
Refinement [-1]
Supernatural Toughness [-4]
The Catch (Needs metal armour) [+3]
Lawbreaker [-1]?
Magic:
Foci: left gauntlet (+2 defensive earth power), right gauntlet (+2 defensive earth control)
Total Refresh Cost:
-6/-7
Refresh Total:
2/1

This is a character I'm running in a game, but I would love to see your take on it.

He's the Winter Knight, but the reason he was chosen by Mab wasn't because of his combat prowess but because of the control he had over the mortal world. He has a large organization he built up, and held a job similar to Reddington from The Blacklist before he became the Winter Knight. I was thinking Contacts and Resources as his top skills but feel free to change it up if you want to.

We're at 15 refresh and 49 but once again, feel free to change it if you want.
I'll have to check those out to see how similar they are, but here's a brief quote from The Ranting Dragon on Libriomancer's magic:
Isaac is a libriomancer with the power to pull things out of books. Now, there are some limitations to this, like you can only use a book so many times and whatever you use must be able to fit through the book (and living things tend to come out insane or as blank slates with a couple exceptions), but there’s still the fact that at one point Isaac fights with a lightsaber. For those who like well-defined magic systems, Hines has done a great job of fleshing it out while still leaving a lot of room to grow in future books. Everything is well thought out and clearly presented, and tailor-made for bookworms everywhere.

I'll do these tomorrow.

What's the skill cap on the Winter Knight?

Offline dmonty7990

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2014, 10:52:32 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 10:00:22 PM »
Yuri Milczarek (Special)

Yuri is Mab's most recent Winter Knight. Before he was chosen for his current job, he was a criminal mastermind. Actually, he still kind of is a criminal mastermind. But now he's a criminal mastermind on Mab's behalf.

Yuri took to magic like a duck to water. The first thing he did after being "hired" was to shut himself in Mab's library studying her lore. The second thing he did was to build himself some genuinely impressive magical gear.

In theory he could be a fair bit more powerful than he is, but he prefers not to draw too deeply on the physical abilities of his mantle. He might be an awful human being, but he values his freedom.

High Concept: Winter Knight Mastermind
Trouble Aspect: Plans Within Plans
Other Aspects: Crime Lord, Superficially Friendly, You're All Pawns
Skills:
Fantastic: Resources, Contacts
Superb: Lore, Discipline
Great: Deceit, Empathy
Good: Presence, Conviction, Rapport
Fair: Scholarship, Alertness, Intimidation
Average: Endurance, Investigation, Stealth, Athletics
Stunts:
Filthy Lucre (Resources): +2 to Resources when using it illicitly.
International Operations (Contacts): Contacts is never penalized due to location.
Criminal Mastermind (Contacts): +2 to Contacts within the underworld.
The Boss (Contacts): May use Contacts to acquire and already have minions as well as contacts.
Powers:
Marked By Power [-1]
Unseelie Magic [-4]
Refinement [-3]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
The Catch (cold iron) [+3]
Magic:
Foci: staff (+4 offensive winter control), jewelled tools (+3 crafting strength)
Enchanted Items: shield bracelet (8-shift block against attacks, 3 uses/session), faerie-woven suit (armour 4, 3 uses/session), 2 potion slots (strength 8 )
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Alexandra Hawthorne (Feet In The Water)

Alexandra is a university student studying literature, and until pretty recently she was a normal-ish human being. But recently she discovered some old books in a second store which changed her life. They were books on magic written by the Merlin that came before Arthur Langtry, enchanted to protect against divination magic and then lost due to bizarre events too complicated to explain here.

Alexandra read the books with growing fascination and, in one of them, discovered a way to draw magic from books. Naturally she tried it, and now she's a full-fledged spellcaster. Not a wizard, but powerful in her own way. And shockingly knowledgeable, thanks partly to the Merlin's books and thanks partly to her being a genuine genius despite her often-silly behaviour.

High Concept: Libriomancer Student
Trouble Aspect: New To This
Other Aspects: Book Addict, Much Smarter Than She Acts, The Tomes Of Merlin
Skills:
Great: Scholarship, Lore
Good: Performance, Conviction
Fair: Discipline, Resources
Average: Rapport, Empathy
Stunts:
Literature Student (Performance): +1 to Performance knowledge, further +1 to literature knowledge, further +1 to speculative fiction knowledge.
Powers:
Sponsored Magic: Bibliomancy [-4]
Magic:
Foci: Merlin's books (+3 bibliomancy ritual control), her own handwritten notes (+1 offensive bibliomancy control)
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Dont have a specific need right now, but for the sake of contributing ideas:

-A weredragon son of St George
-A Master Alchemist
-an immortal shapeshifter from eastern Europe
-Sir Stewart in his Prime

I don't remember much about Sir Stewart, so I'll have to pass on that one unless someone fills me in.

I'll do the other three over the next day or two. After that I think I'm done with this little project, unless someone proposes something really interesting.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:08:44 PM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 06:10:02 AM »
These took a bit longer than planned, but they're done now.

Hope y'all enjoy. And enjoyed, since I think I'm done here.

Phoibe Mires (Feet In The Water)

Phoibe is an alchemist, and a very good one. But she's not exactly a spellcaster. She believes, and will tell anyone who listens, that her ability to turn lead into gold is totally nonmagical and scientifically sound.

In her opinion, magic is inherently anti-democratic and corrupting because it sets some people so far above others simply due to inherent ability. Science can enable mass-production and be taught to anyone, so she sees it as a force for good.

Unfortunately, mortal scientists can't make heads or tails of Phoibe's alchemy. So far it only works for her. She fervently believes that this is simply a difficulty in communication, but most people in the know think she's just in denial about her magical abilities.

Not that they'd say that to her face. After all, if they offended her she might stop helping them out when the things that go bump in the night come calling. And they don't want that, because she's amazingly handy in a bad situation.

High Concept: Master Alchemist
Trouble Aspect: Idiosyncratic Worldview
Other Aspects: Please Let Me Teach You, Part Time Hero, It's Science, I Swear!
Skills:
Great: Scholarship
Good: Weapons, Conviction
Fair: Athletics, Contacts, Lore
Average: Endurance, Investigation, Discipline, Alertness
Stunts:
Lead To Gold (Scholarship): Can use Scholarship for a Resources roll if given time to work in her lab first.
Alchemist (Scholarship): Can use Scholarship to create chemicals with various interesting and useful qualities.
Elixir Of Life (Scholarship): Can justify the recovery of physical consequences, and can create potions that justify the recovery of physical consequences for anyone who drinks them.
Acid To The Face! (Weapons): +1 to hit people with chemical weapons.
Total Refresh Cost:
-2 (Pure Mortal, at least mechanically speaking)
Refresh Total:

Draco (Chest Deep)

Draco is the son of St. George, and he's not happy about that. For whatever reason, he just can't stand his dad. And the feeling is mutual.

So when Draco discovered his magical talents, he naturally tried applying them in a way that his dad would hate. And...that's about where his thought process ended. Now he's not sure what to do with his draconic powers. He left home and changed his name ages ago, so rebellion seems pointless now. And he's not sure what to do with himself.

High Concept: Weredragon
Trouble Aspect: Totally Aimless
Other Aspects: Rebellious Son Of St. George, Short-Tempered, Dangerously Charming
Skills:
Superb: Rapport
Great: Survival, Empathy, Deceit
Good: Conviction, Presence, Intimidation
Fair: Survival, Contacts, Discipline
Average: Endurance, Alertness, Lore
Skills (Dragon Form):
Superb: Fists
Great: Might, Athletics, Alertness
Good: Endurance, Conviction, Intimidation
Fair: Discipline, Empathy, Investigation
Average: Presence, Lore, Survival
Powers:
Beast Change [-1]
Human Form [+1]
  Wings [-1]
  Ranged Natural Weaponry [-2]
  Supernatural Strength [-4]
  Supernatural Toughness [-4]
  The Catch (attacks to the underbelly) [+2]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Nameless (On The Beach)

Nameless has a name, namely Nameless. Seven thousand years, they were an ordinary person. Then they offended a god somehow, and ended up cursed. Their name was destroyed, as was their shape. Now Nameless transforms from human to bear to bizarre mechanical entity to pretty much anything you can think of seemingly at random.

Nameless has no control over which shapes are available at any given time, but can choose which form to assume from the ones available unless Compelled. (Nameless is often Compelled.) Generally speaking, Nameless doesn't have the forms they want available. Sometimes they end up stuck in a nonhuman form for months at a time.

You might expect Nameless to be bitter, but they're actually quite relaxed. They just sort of...drift, unconcerned with life. Nothing is new to them, and nothing really bothers them. If they were more ambitious they'd probably be pretty powerful by now, but they really have no interest in being mighty.

High Concept: God-Cursed Immortal
Trouble Aspect: Unstable Form
Other Aspects: Happy Go Lucky, Seen It All
Skills:
Good: Lore, Scholarship
Fair: Investigation, Alertness, Survival
Average: Endurance, Presence, Conviction
Powers:
Undying [-0]
Wizard's Constitution [-0]
Limitation (uncontrolled) [+9]
  True Shapeshifting [-4]
  Modular Abilities [-8]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 07:49:07 PM »
Those are Fantastic!  Well done. 

Sir Stuart (spelled it wrong above, sorry) is the ghost companion of Morty from Ghost Story.  In life he was a soldier in revolutionary times, of the same general vintage as a young McCoy, Langtry, and LTW.  He was a British Knight and a Colonial Marine, and is Morty's ancestor.  He had a family at the time, skill with pistol and tomahawk, and was "a worthy gentleman, in his fashion. Quite dangerous" according to Lea.   Other than that we know very little about him.  I was curious to see what a historical fighter like that would look like. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2014, 04:01:30 PM »
Because it came up in our game:

The Peter Pan

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2014, 06:58:26 PM »
Probably been done already but my memory aint great,

Roy Mustang from FMA.

HC: The Flame Alchemist
TC: Consumed by Guilt

Arlen Bales from Painted Man trilogy

HC: The Rune Painted Man
TC: Scared of my stolen power
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2014, 07:47:45 PM »
I don't know much about Peter Pan beyond the basics, and I've never heard of Arlen Bales. So I can't make them unless someone fills me in.

I'll do the other two when I next feel like making characters.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2014, 07:54:34 PM »
Arlen aka the painted man is a guy who fights demons he is covers in wards that steel demons powers and utilise it against them. He probably has pretty much supernatural everything, a vampire power that only works vs demons, the ability to become incorporeal, fly and teleport. He fits in to the broody saviour archetype.

Ps the painted man books are well worth a read imo
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »
Rincewind. A cowardly wizard who couldn't cast a spell to save his life (and has empirical evidence to this fact), but still is, somehow, a wizard and has the wizard perks (he can see Octarine, the color of magic, and things like Death). He's Luck's favorite playing piece, and Fate has it in for him, so his life is interesting despite his best efforts and even Death has no idea when he's finally going to bite it. His main useful talent/philosophy on life is the ability to run away, which has kept him alive and, somehow, gotten him to save the world, again, despite his best efforts to not get involved in the first place. Loves potatoes, and is a fair hand with a half-brick in a sock.

He also has one of the most powerful spells in existence, straight from the Creator's spellbook, the Octavo, stuck in his head, but he can't cast that either, except on one special occasion.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »
The Peter Pan
Once Upon A Time did a great version of the character. Gives him a bit more meat than the original version.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2014, 03:04:02 AM »
The OUAT version of Pan is amazing.

Actually, the OUAT version of pretty much everyone is amazing. I have a writeup of the Sorcerer's Apprentice who came about after I saw the show's version of that.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Mojosilver

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2014, 11:42:01 PM »
Would you be willing to convert some D&D 5TH characters?
My groups party is a half-orc Feral Druid as our tank. She's a Monster in a mans world. A Mountain Dwarf arch-fey tome warlock to handle Damage. He is a consummate professional. And a Half-elf Bard of valor for support. Brilliant but lazy kind of guy.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2014, 05:35:09 AM »
Would you be willing to convert some D&D 5TH characters?

Sure. But this thread is on hold until I next feel like making characters.

Offline Mojosilver

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2014, 08:41:09 PM »
OK Thanks.