Author Topic: POLL: End Game Opinion of the Series  (Read 63404 times)

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
POLL: End Game Opinion of the Series
« on: August 27, 2007, 02:49:09 PM »
Poll for people's feelings on the show itself.

A ground rule: respect other viewers' opinions, and respect Robert and his team for the work that they did. If you didn't like the show, don't tear into them. They actually WORKED, folks, while we're just armchair quarterbacking.

(don't read anything into the order of the poll questions. They got scrambled for some reason)

People can change thier vote at any time, but may only vote once.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:05:21 PM by Mickey Finn »
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Sűlien

• Conversationalist
  • Wounded, old and treacherous.
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: End Game Opinion of the Series
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 04:03:15 PM »
I really enjoyed the series.  It had some problems at the beginning, but they were mostly worked out by the last 4 episodes and I wish it could have continued for several more seasons.  Yes, it was different from the books, as most screen adaptations are, and that wasn't a problem for me, because I looked at the TV series as a sort of alternate universe fanfiction.  Taken on its own, "The Dresden Files" was turning into an excellent show and it's a pity Skiffy didn't give it a real chance with a complete, 20 episode season, because it would have been a real winner for them as it progressed through the rest of the first season.  I would be willing to bet some serious money that the series would have picked up a big enough following to make it worth their while and then some if they had decided to continue with it through a complete first season and subsequent seasons as well.
Be the kind of woman who, when her feet hit the ground in the morning, the Devil says, "Oh crap, she's awake!"

"A government is a group of people usually notably ungoverned."
Captain Mal Reynolds, "Firefly"

Offline charmeddigitalchick

• Participant
  • Save Harry Dresden!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 04:58:04 PM »
You know, it's days like this that I wish I had a ton of money laying around so that I could help shows like The Dresden Files continue into a long running series.  I would have loved to donate it to the producers to keep it going.   

It's seems incredibly unfair that Stargate SG-1 ran for so long and yet Dresden was axed so abruptly without giving anyone a chance to fully enjoy it.  Even Dead Zone is still running even though they had to move to a different network later on (they found a way to keep going which is fantastic). 

Heck, I never even saw the show until way after Christmas, it should have been on the air in September like all of the other shows that premiere at that time. 

The Dresden Files was by far one of the best series on television and it deserved to have had a chance to gain a much stronger fan base like Bones.  We really should have been blessed with 20 episodes rather than a measly 12, it didn't give us a chance to get become intimately familiar with it.

I'm keeping my fingers (and my toes) crossed for possible feature films or DVD movies of The Dresden Files.  I'm giddy as a school kid just thinking about it....   
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 05:00:34 PM by charmeddigitalchick »
"... can you see the pyramids?  You are standing knee-deep in de Nile."

Said Bob to Harry in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher.

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 01:24:39 AM »
Very few shows start out fantastic, stay fantastic, and end fantastic. Dresden was no exception.

What Dresden did do, however, was find its feet surprisingly quickly. Bythe 12th episode the cast was working like a well oiled machine, the writers were losing their hesitancy and starting to build a cohesive and fascinating world, and new characters were emerging to deepen and solidify that world.

I firmly believe that, given a full 20-22 episode season, the crew and cast of Dresden would have graced us with an edge of the seat season finale for a show we'd have been counting the days for the return. Word of mouth and critical recognition would have brought the audience it deserved. The second season would have been where the show truly bloomed.

I actually wrote a spec script, in the optimistic days just after 'Second City' aired. I hoped perhaps I could get in on the second season. It was only the second teleplay I've ever been able to finish, mostly because of how involved I felt with the show and how plain the writers made the progression. My spec script involved White Court vampires and took ideas from the books but tailored it towards the very different television world.

As I've said before, I was glad that the producers of the show opted to take the 'alternate world' path. The books are wonderful, but I've already read the books! This was a way to play in the world of Dresden with an entirely new and free set of what-ifs.

Too bad. Maybe in the future a network with more vision and flexibility will give the Dresden world the support and room it needs to truly bloom and grow.

Until then, I'll treasure these twelve episodes for what they are -- extremely entertaining television.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 05:22:23 AM by Cyclone Jack »
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 08:00:34 PM »
I wasn't able to get cable until the last 3 episodes aired...due to the kindness of some, I was allowed to see maybe 3 others; I'm gonna see if Netflix has the DVDs.

"Quis ego saw , ego amo"

What I saw, I liked.
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

Offline CarolM

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob, Forever with us
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 10:48:32 PM »
I enjoyed the series, though I would have appreciated more resemblence to the books. I'm looking forward to finding the time to watch the DVD and catch up on the episodes that I missed the first time round.
I really wish the show had been kept on for another season/series, but life sucks sometimes... :(
Carol

Bob: in our hearts forever.

Offline Teleri

• Participant
  • My name is Sue - How do you do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 10:16:41 PM »
I've read all the books twice, own them in hard cover, love them dearly.  I had the pleasure of seeing Jim Butcher at Dragon*Con 06, where he talked about the series and how it differed from the books, so was prepared.
I loved the show for what it was.  Paul captured the heart & soul of Harry, Murphy was Murphy (you know, external appearances are NOT the most important things!), the stories were funny & interesting, and then, there was BOB!!!  How great THAT was :D  I will so miss Bob. 
However, apparently Terrence Mann has settled near my home town, so I might get to see him at Flat Rock or something....LOL
BB
Teleri
Teleri ferch Nyfain

Offline AttilaTheNun

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 10:34:02 PM »
Don't forget to buy the dvd set, Teleri!
*as Attila turns green with jealousy of Teleri*

Offline gahmsw

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 01:23:56 PM »
Maybe in the future a network with more vision and flexibility will give the Dresden world the support and room it needs to truly bloom and grow.
8)
That would be cool.

-Steve
"What you know about women I could juggle."
- Bob the Skull

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 07:07:39 PM »
As I've mentioned elsewhere, except for Terry Pratchett, I've never been a big SciFi/Fantasy fan.  My teenaged daughter was the one who made me watch The Dresden Files, and I have to say that I did enjoy it.  I'm sorry that it was cancelled.  I've signed the petition, and am going to buy a drumstick this weekend in hopes that it'll help find the show another home.  The show is very different than the books (which I absolutely love), but it's fun to watch.

Assuming that the show ends up coming back, what will happen with the guy who played Dresden?  I've read that he's got another show on a different station.  Will he come back, or would they have to get someone else?

Offline Zarina

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Info Page
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 01:44:55 AM »
As I've mentioned elsewhere, except for Terry Pratchett, I've never been a big SciFi/Fantasy fan.  My teenaged daughter was the one who made me watch The Dresden Files, and I have to say that I did enjoy it.  I'm sorry that it was cancelled.  I've signed the petition, and am going to buy a drumstick this weekend in hopes that it'll help find the show another home.  The show is very different than the books (which I absolutely love), but it's fun to watch.

Assuming that the show ends up coming back, what will happen with the guy who played Dresden?  I've read that he's got another show on a different station.  Will he come back, or would they have to get someone else?
Paul Blackthorne has a recurring role in Big Shots, but he stated in a recent interview that he 'absolutely' would come back to play Harry. All we have to do is get it back on the air!
Thanks for the signature AND for helping the drumstick campaign!! :)

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 09:14:25 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm glad he'd continue with the role.  I think he fits it perfectly, and it doesn't hurt that he's incredibly sexy.  Even my kid thinks so, and she's young enough to think that the idea of a man in his 30's as attractive is "creepy".

Offline AttilaTheNun

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 11:02:01 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm glad he'd continue with the role.  I think he fits it perfectly, and it doesn't hurt that he's incredibly sexy.  Even my kid thinks so, and she's young enough to think that the idea of a man in his 30's as attractive is "creepy".

*giggles* and what does she think of Bob? I know of at least 3 teenagers among those  gaga over TV-Bob .....

Offline Zarina

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Info Page
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 03:02:22 AM »
Isn't he JUST!!!   ;D

Offline Riggler

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 06:53:19 PM »
I didn't care for the Sci_fi series. It was too different from the books and I've read or heard all the various reasons why.

Here's wishing there will be a big screen adaptation or someone like HBO takes on a true adaptation.