Author Topic: POLL: End Game Opinion of the Series  (Read 65311 times)

Offline Finsup

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: End Game Opinion of the Series
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 05:32:01 PM »
I didn't care for the Sci_fi series. It was too different from the books and I've read or heard all the various reasons why.

Here's wishing there will be a big screen adaptation or someone like HBO takes on a true adaptation.

That's a great idea! (the HBO thing) I'd even settle for a Showtime series.

I liked the show, of course the books are better, but my wife watched the show and got into it, she's not a big sci-fi fantasy fan.

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 06:36:44 PM »
I bought the dvds.  My husband watches them on Sundays.  It eases his pain. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 08:49:34 PM by Blaze »
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline ranlynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 07:55:08 PM »
In all honesty TDF the TV series was not a *great* show but it was good & had the promise of getting better if it had been allowed to continue.

Part of the problem, besides the current business model of cancelling shows almost as soon as they begin if they don't have 'blockbuster' ratings straight away is that doing a genre show like the TDF files is limited budgets (especially in the first year).

The books are heavy with spells & magical creatures but if you don't have a theatrical level budget TV FX tend to look cheesy, which will kill a show with today's audiences that are used to seeing Matrix & Star Wars level FX.

So they have to try rely on plots & characters to get the 'feel' of the books & save the FX for *big* moments.

TDF the series was starting to find that balance by the end of it's initial (& sadly limited) run of episodes.

Offline rinascita

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Keepers Of The Veil
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2007, 08:19:49 PM »
I only started reading The Dresden Files books in the last couple of months.
I've never seen the series.
Have been looking for it, but I guess I missed my chance.
As far as books - into - movies go...the book is always better...imagination makes it so.

Thanks, Jim for the books...wonderful entertainment.  I am so envious of the ease you seem to have in writing them. Hope for many more.
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Offline Intempesta Nox

• Participant
  • @IntempestaNox
    • View Profile
    • Intempesta Nox - The Dead of Night (the blog)
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 08:22:54 PM »
Hi rinascita - Welcome to the Forum!  The tv series is available at places like Bestbuy and Virgin Megastore.  I've also had friends find it on Amazon, and I'm sure others are selling it on ebay.  It's also for sale (individual episodes, or the whole season) on Itunes.  One doesn't have to have an Ipod to download one of the shows, and watch it on their Mac, PC or laptop.

Also, the series will reair starting mid November.  Check posts here noted for Reruns.

Saving the world since 1977.

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 12:58:32 AM »
I've recently seen a chunk of the original pilot.

Sometime in the near future, I will be posting a review, but Robert & Hans' original take on Dresden was far closer to the books in tone and character than the series was. Geometrically closer. Even supermodel Murphy was more convincing.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Blaze

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 01:09:30 AM »
*sigh*
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline fracz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 01:48:48 AM »
Love the books.  Loved the show.   Have now had to switch allegiances to vampires on Fridays nights.  I miss Harry & Bob the most.  (tear falls)

Offline [beatle mania]

• Conversationalist
  • Wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 01:00:37 AM »
The show had a weak, weak start, but a few episodes in---
It was brain candy. XD
Not on the level of Doctor Who or Firefly brain candy, but brain candy nonetheless.
Everyone grew on me and I WISH I could have seen what else they'd pull out for a second season. D:

I'm totally buying it---when I'm no longer a broke panda.
shaking and crying

Offline Darkling

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Darklings we listen
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 06:58:44 AM »

I loved the show. It started to have life of it's own. I would have loved to have seen the show's incarnation of Thomas.  It's too bad that never came about, or the full revelation about Bob's back story.

'The night holds more than darkness and the stars.' - The San Francisco version of the Lestat musical.

Offline Norzemen

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 06:46:39 PM »
TDF Was the first show I remembered to take time to watch since, um..Deadwood. (I missed Firefly and just bought the DVD)

It was a very high quality entertaining show. I could tell the level of effort and detail in the show was high. It was worth my time to check it out. There is nothing on TV other than the occasional Nova or Front line series that Ill will spend my time watching these days. It was exciting to come home and watch a new series. I fully expected that the show would continue into Season two. But it didn't and Ive gone back to not watching TV.

I bought the DVD last night and for the first time ever listened to the comments while the show was running. It was interesting listening to the process from the directors and writers and actors perspective. Ill keep an eye out for any quality shows like this one. I would love to see someone try and put Robert Jordens stuff to film someday.

Offline hkjakkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 09:03:29 PM »
How about > Loved the show. One of the best series I have ever seen.
I have said this before but as soon as I saw "..based on Jim Butcher..." ran to the book store....screamed in frustration that the books had been out for several years and I have missed....have the DVD, the books.....I am planning on having Buthcher budget....I now live in the Dresden Files/Codex uninverse
(part TV series and part books)...I am totally addicted(which is good)..which is why even though I do not know how to post I am writing now...so everyone involved again...I wish untold  fame and fortune....

Jackie

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 02:36:25 AM »
I find it telling that no one, event he people who didn't like the show, has voted for being glad it was replaced with Flash Gordon.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline rinascita

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Keepers Of The Veil
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 07:52:07 PM »
Hi rinascita - Welcome to the Forum!  The tv series is available ...

Thanks Intempesta Nox :)
I'll probrably d/l the series from iTunes as soon as I have a few more dollars to spare. (I tend to spend my extra $ on books.)

My next book pruchase will most likely be the other series... Codex Alera.
Then I'll be hooked on yet another!  Fun though, and reading keeps me out of trouble!  If I didn't stay home and read I'd probrably go to bars, have wild sexual escapades, and end up with an STD....

Cheers to Jim Butcher, protector of women's chastity everywhere!

(geesh....sounds like I do need to get out a little  more often)   LMAO btw ( don't take me too seriously please...except about the protector of chastity and such  ;D
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Offline Blaze

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 10:25:48 PM »
Oh, Mickey, I can't even imagine how people can bear to watch the new iteration of Flash Gordon.  It is so totally wrong.

(Opinionated, yes, but I am a long time Flash fan, and even have compilations of the comics.)