Author Topic: Fans of the show Leverage? How would you stat Elliot?  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Jreafman

• Participant
    • View Profile
Fans of the show Leverage? How would you stat Elliot?
« on: July 14, 2014, 07:36:42 PM »
The subject pretty much says it all.

I was watching Leverage, and thought... you know, Elliot would make a pretty nifty Pure Mortal character. It would involve giving him the right aspects, and maybe a custom stunt, but he'd be a pretty cool character to play.

I figure an aspect like, "I don't like guns" and a stunt (under the Fists skill) like "Never bring a gun to a fist fight" would make him easily rounded out.

Never bring a gun to a fist fight would give him bonuses to dodge against ranged attacks, and disarming.

The "I don't like guns" aspect would allow for invokes against ranged weapons, and compels to keep him from using guns.

So here's my go at a Feet In The Water build for Elliot.
Name: Elliot
High Concept: Human Hitter in a Supernatural World
Trouble: I make "friends" everywhere I go
Aspect: I don't like guns
Aspect: I've seen that before
Aspect: Rugged Exterior, Rugged Interior
Aspect: Not just a dumb thug
Aspect: Never Con a Con

Skills:
Great: Fists, Athletics
Good: Deceit, Resources
Fair: Endurance, Scholarship
Average: Might, Stealth

Stunts:
Never Bring a Gun to a Fist Fight(Fists)(Custom)
+1 To dodge ranged attacks, +1 to attack or disarm an attacker who is using a ranged weapon in melee

Takes One to Know One (Deceit)(YS151)
Use Deceit instead of Empathy to catch someone in a lie.

Forgery Expert(Scholarship)(YS155)
You are trained to distinguish forged documents from real ones. you gain a +2 on any roll to spot forgeries or falsified documentation.

Too Fast To Hit(Athletics)(YS 149)
When making a full defense (YS199), gain an additional +1 to the roll (for a total of +3) if you also take a supplemental action to move one zone. You do not take the usual -1 penalty for the supplemental action.

Lethal Weapon(Fists)(YS 152)
your hands are lethal weapons. When using Fists to strike an unarmored opponent, you are considered to have Weapon:2. Against opponents with Armor:1, your Fists attacks are Weapon:1. There is no benefit against more heavily armored opponents.

Armed Arts(Fists)(YS 152) - Knife and Baton
You are practiced with a small number of weapons as part of your martial arts training. Pick two weapons which logically fit in with your training (nightstick and knife with cop training, for example). You may use the Fists skill instead of weapons when wielding these implements.

(I considered adding Martial Artist as well, because it's something he would have, but decided that that would be something added later, so that for now, his refresh didn't get too high, wanted to be able to hold onto a couple FP)

That's what I came up with, though I'm sure with the folks here will have some pretty awesome and interesting ideas as well!

Note: The trouble aspect made sense to me because, as demonstrated in the show, Elliot has traveled all over the world, and in many cases left behind people who would happily help dig his grave. You never know when you might run into just one more people in the long line waiting to get the drop on him.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:38:59 PM by Jreafman »

Offline ironpoet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Fans of the show Leverage? How would you stat Elliot?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 02:10:39 PM »
In my opinion, Elliot should have higher Endurance (I'd make it his highest skill) as well as some Endurance/Toughness stunts.  In the show, he was always getting beaten down but he just kept getting up again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeLYWVVMo_w

Possible stunts:
"Why won't you stay down?" Allows Elliot to take 1 additional minor consequences
"Got my second wind" Allows him to clear his entire stress track once per scene

I'd probably lower Resources, too, since he never seemed to use money that much, so maybe...
Skills:
Superb: Performance (Cooking)
Great: Endurance, Athletics
Good: Fists , Weapons
Fair: Deceit, Scholarship
Average: Might, Stealth

(The Superb cooking skill might be a bit of a stretch...)

Offline Jreafman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 04:20:14 PM »
Ooohhhh! I definitely like those stunts!

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »
Off topic, but part of a convo I had when I finished the last episode of Leverage on Netflix. If I ever had to cast a Dresden Files movie, Christian Kane (the actor who plays Eliot Spencer) is who I would cast as Jared Kincaid.

The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Arcane

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
Off topic, but part of a convo I had when I finished the last episode of Leverage on Netflix. If I ever had to cast a Dresden Files movie, Christian Kane (the actor who plays Eliot Spencer) is who I would cast as Jared Kincaid.

Hillariously enough, I was thinking of suggesting Eliot be statted as Kincaid's younger brother.  :)
You Might Know Me As:

Charlie Wiseman

Jeffrey Campbell

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 06:26:07 PM »
"Got my second wind" Allows him to clear his entire stress track once per scene

I wouldn't allow this stunt.  There's only one power that does this and it's Blood drinker.  And that's a Power(not a stunt) and it requires you to kill someone first.

I might allow it for the cost of a FP, once/scene.

Offline ironpoet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 08:46:42 PM »
I wouldn't allow this stunt.  There's only one power that does this and it's Blood drinker.  And that's a Power(not a stunt) and it requires you to kill someone first.

I might allow it for the cost of a FP, once/scene.

That's sounds like a good tweak.  I think you're right about it being too powerful (in certain fights, it would double your stress track!)

I'd actually been thinking of the "Shrug it off" section from the Inhuman Recovery power (once per scene, remove one mild consequence) but remembered the details wrong.  By itself, that might be acceptable as a stunt, as long as it's clear that taking Inhuman Recovery later would replace that stunt.

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 09:58:47 PM »
There are many places in the series where he identifies a threat by some small detail.  He also often takes the initiative in fights.  So I've given him a bunch of Alertness.  And he should probably have an aspect "It's a very distinctive ...".  I see his trouble as more of a Past he Can't Wash Clean.  Although I do think he should definitely have "I Don't Like Guns".

Great: Fists, Alertness
Good: Athletics, Endurance
Fair: Deceit, Might
Average: Contacts, Scholarship

I don't think his fighting style really goes with the stunt Too Fast To Hit.  He should probably have Tough Stuff (Armor: 1 vs. Blunt).  Maybe add in the Footwork stunt to make sure his defense stays high.  I don't remember too many times in the show where he saw through lies or forgeries, so I think he could do without Takes One to Know One and Forgery Expert.  Armed Arts would only be appropriate if he could choose improvised weapon with it.  Although frankly, I think the Leverage world uses a set of game rules where Fists and Weaponry are the same skill, and using a weapon just gives your opponent a -1 to block unless they are armed.  So when enemies use weapons, Elliot picks up a mop or something and defends until he can disarm them, then drops the mop and beats them up with his fists.

Offline Jreafman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 02:50:24 AM »
There are many places in the series where he identifies a threat by some small detail.  He also often takes the initiative in fights.  So I've given him a bunch of Alertness.  And he should probably have an aspect "It's a very distinctive ...".  I see his trouble as more of a Past he Can't Wash Clean.  Although I do think he should definitely have "I Don't Like Guns".

Great: Fists, Alertness
Good: Athletics, Endurance
Fair: Deceit, Might
Average: Contacts, Scholarship

I don't think his fighting style really goes with the stunt Too Fast To Hit.  He should probably have Tough Stuff (Armor: 1 vs. Blunt).  Maybe add in the Footwork stunt to make sure his defense stays high.  I don't remember too many times in the show where he saw through lies or forgeries, so I think he could do without Takes One to Know One and Forgery Expert.  Armed Arts would only be appropriate if he could choose improvised weapon with it.  Although frankly, I think the Leverage world uses a set of game rules where Fists and Weaponry are the same skill, and using a weapon just gives your opponent a -1 to block unless they are armed.  So when enemies use weapons, Elliot picks up a mop or something and defends until he can disarm them, then drops the mop and beats them up with his fists.

I like the footwork idea, probably better than the Too Fast To Hit. Although it would have to be tied to fists instead of weaponry. I REALLY loved the idea of improvised weapons. I kind of immediately thought of Armed Arts and him with a knife, but I was kind of grasping at straws for what the second weapon should be. Improvised is the BEST fit. That's just an awesome idea, and I feel kinda silly for not thinking of it myself. I used the "I've seen that before..." aspect for multiple things; such as his "It's a very distinctive style/sound/uniform" line, as well as recognizing certain cons, and other stuff that has cropped up in his life.

So far, I love everyone's feedback. It's neat to take a character like this and see where exactly you can go with him at Feet In The Water.