Author Topic: Rituals: Potions vs. Straight Up Thaumaturgy  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Rituals: Potions vs. Straight Up Thaumaturgy
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 06:46:40 PM »
Ritual (Potions) sounds like a worse version of Ritual (Crafting) to me. And Ritual (Crafting) is amply limited by its inability to perform rituals. So there you have it, a serious limitation.
Would you allow a player with Ritual(Crafting) to create an item that would solve a problem they know they will run into later? Not as part of their enchanted item slots, but as an extra item, with some scenes dedicated to it's creation. Just curious.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
Would you allow a player with Ritual(Crafting) to create an item that would solve a problem they know they will run into later? Not as part of their enchanted item slots, but as an extra item, with some scenes dedicated to it's creation. Just curious.

I'm going to go (slightly) off-topic.

I think crafting can do Wards and other things.  I had a disagreement with a GM about this.  There's certain things you are limited to with "Ritual" but it doesn't seem fair that every Ritual (like ectomancy) can do different types of thaumaturgy (as long as it fits the ectomancy theme) and have ecotmancy focused Enchanted items as well.

Although, limiting yourself to potions only seems even more limited.

This was a 'ward' I created with Ritual 'Crafting'.  Is it legal?

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:08:51 PM by Taran »

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »
I'd allow you to do rituals like the super, super SUPER SUPER COOL ONE that Taran just described with Crafting. However, because Crafting isn't a Thematic thaumaturgic specialization, you technically can't, but that's easily solved as saying that your Thematic Thaumaturgic Specialty is Crafting (i.e. scion of a forge god).
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 08:19:46 PM »
However, because Crafting isn't a Thematic thaumaturgic specialization, you technically can't, but that's easily solved as saying that your Thematic Thaumaturgic Specialty is Crafting (i.e. scion of a forge god).

Yes, that character was, thematically, a crafter.  Which is why I called him a Tinker.  But I get things mixed up.

I just figured that each 'school' of thaumaturgy is its own theme.  It confuses me.  Couldn't a 'summoner' also do wards but his wards would involve patrolling sentinels that he'd summoned?

Anyways, To put it my comments back on topic, I'd allow the PC to do any of the types of thaumaturgy with potions as long as he could come up with a clever way of doing it and as long as it made sense, narratively.  Narrowing your specialty to potions will make it that much harder to justify certain types of spells/thaumaturgy.

Offline Melendwyr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 10:03:21 PM »
I just figured that each 'school' of thaumaturgy is its own theme.  It confuses me.  Couldn't a 'summoner' also do wards but his wards would involve patrolling sentinels that he'd summoned?
  I wouldn't interpret it that way.  A summoner wouldn't be able to manage anything more complex than the basic charged circle - the sort of thing that anyone with even a little power can manage.  He would be able to touch the other aspects of thaumaturgy only to the degree that they're part of summoning.

Now, what he could talk or bind the summoned creatures into doing for him is another matter...