Author Topic: Advice on a new vampire court  (Read 2004 times)

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Advice on a new vampire court
« on: June 30, 2014, 11:54:06 AM »
I'm currently working on a new vampire court for my upcoming DFRPG game. It is set in Orlando, FL and I thought that a small, unique group based there would be fun both for in game reasons and as an exercise to help me learn the rules better. I did a bit of peeking around at various vampire legends and took inspiration from both Indian (of the Asian variety) and Albanian myths. I don't have anything fancy written up yet but I'll put my thoughts here. I'd love some feedback from more experienced players and GMs. I'm trying to make a group that could fit into the Dresden world and who aren't either overpowered or special snowflakes. Thanks!

Court of the Veils
* Originally born out of India.
* Feed on the dreams of humans.
* Able to use the dreams they feed on to empower themselves.
* Make use of ectoplasm when using their powers.
* A new Veil Court vampire is made when an existing one feeds off a victim who was born with a caul on her/his face or head. That's roughly 1 in 80,000 people. So, they have very low numbers.
* Like many supernatural beings they are weakened by thresholds. This causes a problem because their victims are often safe and in bed. Hotels, however, have weaker thresholds. Because of this they've centered in Orlando which has more hotel rooms than any other city in the US (except Vegas, which is much more dangerous for a small group).
* Victims wake up feeling tired and drained, unless they are fed on until death.

Build

Dream Vampire (-1) 
Feeding Dependency - Dreams (+1)
Gaseous Form (-3)
Glamour (-2)
Human Guise (-0)
Incite Emotion - Lethargy (-1)
The Catch - Vulnerable to items and rituals that disrupt and bind ghosts (+1)
The Sight (-1)

Refresh Cost: -6

I see them as being able to use the dreams the devour to power themselves - to inspire sleep (incite emotion), to craft illusions (the glamour) and to turn themselves into brief manifestations of dreams (the gaseous form). And since they are so closely tied to dreams they are more capable of seeing through the falsehoods of reality (hence the Sight).
Ray of Sunshine , a Dresden Files RPG Campaign.

Occult Orlando, setting for Ray of Sunshine.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on a new vampire court
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 12:53:19 PM »
Interesting take. For one, I like that you didn't go the [Colour] Court route.  :P I can'r offer much commentary on the powers (except that I don't really like low-level supernaturals other than wizards getting access to the Sight, since I feel that it cheapens it. But hey, your rules). However, you might like to include suggestions for future powers for players of the template, as well as an idea of how they interact with other supernaturals.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 01:59:06 PM »
I just had a fun thought and would like to throw my own spin on the concept. I created a small Ethiopian Court called the Amber Court  for my first game (sorry Locnil, it was a color court. I was young and needed the money). Well, I was just talking to a co-worker about the purported origins of coffee in Ethiopia vs Arabia and thought that it's origins might be a great way mundanes could fight back against a dream vampire court located in regions where coffee originated. Maybe coffee was a gift from another supernatural power interested in fighting the Nightmare Court.

Nightmare Court

Dream Vampire -1
Incite Emotion (Fear, -At Range, Lasting, Limitation +1: Consequences cannot be tagged until victim sleeps) -2
Supernatural Sense (Fatigue) -1
Glamour (-2)
Need No Sleep -0
Feeding Dependency (Dreams; affecting) +1
Inhuman Speed -2
Inhuman Toughness -2
Inhuman Recovery -2
The Catch +2 (Daylight)

Total: -9

Notes:
I designed these guys to be able to do the veils/illusions just like JGray since it's well within the realm of their powers and gave them some physical toughness with a Catch of Daylight. I don't see these guys having to sleep (illustrated with a -0 cost power), but they only gain the benefit of their toughness and recovery half of the day. I also gave them a limitation on their Incite that they can only be tagged when the victims are sleeping since that is how they feed.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:16:05 PM by bobjob »
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
How can they have The Catch when they don't have Toughness?

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »
How can they have The Catch when they don't have Toughness?

I admit, I wasn't sure what to call it. You're right, though, the catch should be attached to something. Also, a good point was made about giving the Sight to a fairly low refresh supernatural. There are also some other places I wanted to limit them. So, perhaps...

Dream Vampire (-1) 
Gaseous Form (-3)
Glamour, Limitation: Self Only (-1)
Human Guise (-0)
Inhuman Recovery (-2)
Need No Sleep (-0)

Bobjob: I thought your ideas were very neat and borrowed the 'need no sleep' idea. Thank you.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 01:07:45 AM »
I just had a fun thought and would like to throw my own spin on the concept. I created a small Ethiopian Court called the Amber Court  for my first game (sorry Locnil, it was a color court. I was young and needed the money).

It's all right. We've all been there.  ;D

Offline Jreafman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 07:24:36 AM »
I admit, I wasn't sure what to call it. You're right, though, the catch should be attached to something. Also, a good point was made about giving the Sight to a fairly low refresh supernatural. There are also some other places I wanted to limit them. So, perhaps...

Dream Vampire (-1) 
Gaseous Form (-3)
Glamour, Limitation: Self Only (-1)
Human Guise (-0)
Inhuman Recovery (-2)
Need No Sleep (-0)

Bobjob: I thought your ideas were very neat and borrowed the 'need no sleep' idea. Thank you.

I'd almost suggest going the full boat on glamours, taking the entire -2, and making them a base refresh of -7. It fits with more of what I think of when I think of someone who feeds on dreams. I think of someone who, as a part of who they are, could/would use glamours to create "waking dreams" in their opponents. Make you see things that aren't there. Use glamours to create things that are one step shy of being hallucinations (and the only reason they're not hallucinations is because someone ELSE is doing it to you, you're not crazy). I could see them quickly upgrading to the Greater Glamours to create True Seemings (which is where your earlier mention of using ectoplasm would come into play. On the other hand, that's just my thoughts, and I'm not sure I'd trust my judgement. :P

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 10:31:16 AM »
I'd almost suggest going the full boat on glamours, taking the entire -2, and making them a base refresh of -7. It fits with more of what I think of when I think of someone who feeds on dreams. I think of someone who, as a part of who they are, could/would use glamours to create "waking dreams" in their opponents. Make you see things that aren't there. Use glamours to create things that are one step shy of being hallucinations (and the only reason they're not hallucinations is because someone ELSE is doing it to you, you're not crazy). I could see them quickly upgrading to the Greater Glamours to create True Seemings (which is where your earlier mention of using ectoplasm would come into play. On the other hand, that's just my thoughts, and I'm not sure I'd trust my judgement. :P

I'm going to do that, now that my players have taken a pass on playing one. I wanted to put the initial build within their reach (we're playing a second tier, -7 refresh to start with game). I agree, they should have the ability to create waking dreams. Especially since they have very little physical power. Though turning into dream vapors can be a useful defense.