Author Topic: dresden trivia  (Read 151043 times)

Offline Magus

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: dresden trivia
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 10:50:45 PM »

Question - I was re-reading DB and came across this (p392 (?) hardback) from when Morgan gives Harry his first check.  Morgan says:
This seems to imply that they're down to Harry and one other (Carlos).  As I thought about this, it occurred to me that when Harry first became a Warden, Morgan was one of the 4.  Then when Morgan took over the role of leading the wardens (due to Luccio's injuries), he was no longer a regional commander?  I also thought that in the battles, another one got killed.  But I skimmed back through DB and searched PG, and I can't find anything to back up either of these recollections specifically.

Are there other references to the regional commanders?  I don't have White Night, so I can't look there.

- Confused, BL
 ???

The part about Morgan i can answer. Morgan was elevated to the acting field commander leader of the Wardens. this was because of Luccio's little body incident. When he was elevated he became only the acting field commander of the Wardens, losing his title as regional commander.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Offline Miharu

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 10:16:38 AM »
Off-topic, I apologize. But I am so confused as to the different titles of wardens. Can anyone just list them in rank? Is Harry in the middle or at the bottom?
Tinkerbell's probably some flesh-eating Willowisp.

Offline KeyMasterOfGozer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 12:57:53 PM »
Off-topic, I apologize. But I am so confused as to the different titles of wardens. Can anyone just list them in rank? Is Harry in the middle or at the bottom?
I don't have anything specific from the books to back this up, but it's my feeling that there isn't probably a real hierarchy, as Wizards in a group are like herding cats.  The only titles that I recall having seen were Warden, Regional Commander, and Field Commander.

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 08:50:20 PM »
Harry is more or less incharge of any of the magical mishaps in the midwest...in short, he's doing what he's always been doing, just in a grey cloak...

on a side note, I'd like to meet the East Coast commander...perhaps he's from New York :D
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Bob

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 09:07:46 PM »

on a side note, I'd like to meet the East Coast commander...perhaps he's from New York :D

If there was one, there isn't any more--just Ramirez in LA and Harry in Chicago.
Solve a man's problem with violence, help him for a day.  Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime!

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 09:14:13 PM »
From the "four regional commanders in America" line, together with the comments about Harry and Ramirez being the two regional commanders in America, I'd been guessing that the other two regional commanders were in Canada, and by "in America", Luccio really meant "in North America."
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Bob

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 09:39:03 AM »
From the "four regional commanders in America" line, together with the comments about Harry and Ramirez being the two regional commanders in America, I'd been guessing that the other two regional commanders were in Canada, and by "in America", Luccio really meant "in North America."

Based on population and proximity to the Red Court strongholds, more likely Mexico.
Solve a man's problem with violence, help him for a day.  Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime!

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 01:43:11 PM »
Good notion, AcornAmy!  That hadn't occurred to me, and it makes a lot of sense.

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 01:49:53 PM »
What color is Harry's "blue" beetle?

Ok, I don't have White Night right now, so I can't dig up the answer... but I will!
I just finished re-reading WN, and the only description of the beetle is that it is blue, red, yellow, and green.  I know one of the earlier books is more detailed (i.e. the color of the hood & the doors), and am searching for that info.  I haven't found it in SK, DM, BR, DB, or PG.  But now I am on a mission!!

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 02:52:35 PM »
I believe the reference your looking for is in Fool Moon, BookLover.  I'm at work right now, though, so I can't look it up.  Then Harry adds a description of the primer grey trunk hood in BR, I think?

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 07:32:53 PM »

I would like to meet the Canadian Warden - Dresden Files meets Northern Exposure.
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 05:38:39 PM »
What color is Harry's "blue" beetle?
Answer:  Powder blue, white, yellow, red, green, and primer grey

I found 3 quotes for this (Thanks, Priscellie for pointing me to FM!):

Fool Moon
The Beetle wasn't really blue, not anymore.  One of the doors had been replaced with a green duplicate, the other one with white, when something with claws had shredded the originals.  The hood had been slagged by fire, and my mechanic, Mike, had replaced it with the hood from a red vehicle.

Dead Beat
The car has had various doors and panels replaced with white, yellow, red, and green.  My mechanic, Mike, had managed to pound the hood more or less back into its original condition, which I’d bent our of shape while ramming a bad guy, but I hadn’t had the money to repaint, so now the car had primer grey added to its ensemble.

Proven Guilty
It’s a jumble of different colors, as my mechanic has replaced damaged portions of the body with parts from junked Bugs, but it started off as a shade of powder blue, and that had earned it the sobriquet of the Blue Beetle.

ETA quote from PG, to clarify that the "blue" is "powder blue," 'cause it's a fine piece of trivia  :D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 03:11:27 PM by BookLover »

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 05:40:15 PM »
Woohoo!  Excellent sleuthing, BookLover!  Thanks.

Offline Chuck Chuck Razool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 02:13:43 AM »
in response to all the "number of regional commanders" questions, I think it's something like this...*deep Inhale*

It all starts with 4 regional commanders, when Morgan is promoted that brings it down to 3. Harry then fills this position bringing the total back up to four. this is when the war with the red court kicks into high gear and the other 2 commanders are killed, leaving just harry in chicago and Carlos in LA, so there you go everyone is right...*whew*

Quickie edit to remove spoiler for White Night.  --Priscilla
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 01:45:54 PM by Priscellie »
"There's a voice that comes from everywhere, and it's not saying anything."

Offline Wilgar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 12:44:38 AM »
On the subject of which characters have appeared in every published book, with It's My Birthday To, I think the list shortens to:

-Harry

kind of an easy question now...