Author Topic: Release Date?  (Read 20683 times)

Offline slayn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Release Date?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 06:06:04 PM »
I suspect we'll see a new book from Jim every spring, and it'll alternate between a Dresden book and a Cinder Spires book, until the latter series is finished, then back to a 12-18 month cycle for the Dresden Files (until Jim starts a new series).

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »
I suspect we'll see a new book from Jim every spring, and it'll alternate between a Dresden book and a Cinder Spires book, until the latter series is finished, then back to a 12-18 month cycle for the Dresden Files (until Jim starts a new series).

I don't know if it will be that bad.  Look at the release dates of the Codex Alera books and the Dresden File books.  You don't see an alternating pattern of one book a year.  Also, Jim said that as soon as he finishes the Aeronauts Windless he'll start on the next Dresden book, which kind of surprised me, I thought he'd need to take some time off before starting book 16; or Peace Talks if that's what it will be called. 

Perhaps because the delay in finishing the first Cinder Spires book was caused by dental problems and not some kind of writers block, which Jim has said he doesn't believe in, he already has a strong grasp of what he needs do to finish the first story off and it won't be a great leap for him to jump back into the Dresden Verse again.  He also said it takes about six months to write a novel, not counting exploding teeth and other complications life can throw at you.  So here's to Jim having few life complications to deal with so your prediction of either a Dresden or Cinder Spires book per year; but not both, doesn't occur.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline slayn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 08:16:43 PM »
It's taken Jim a lot longer than six months to write the last three Dresden books, and the series has only grown more complicated in that time.  Beyond that, Jim himself has all but stated that a DF book once a year is a thing of the past.

Quote from: Jim Butcher
A few things have changed which have slowed my writing pace.  First, I started getting involved in other projects: there was the TV show, there are the graphic novels, the RPG and mostly the accursed short stories.  Those are a huge time sink for me, because I really suck at actually producing them.  Seriously, they're harder to put together than novels, and eat up a BUNCH more time for their size.  I've just finished the last short piece I'm going to write for a while, so hopefully that will help.

Second:  In the last three or four years as the series has gotten more popular, it's gotten more attention, which means that I have as well.  There is a constant stream of interviews, appearances, tours, events, charity requests, autographings and so on.  That doesn't happen forty hours a week, but it sure as hell eats up way more time than it did when I was writing Death Masks or Blood Rites.

Third:  The process of writing itself has changed for me.  As I learn more about the craft, my process has become more involved and it takes a little more time to write up to the standards that I set for myself, and I at least try to keep setting them higher, to keep learning and growing.  I can't make it happen any faster and still call it my best effort.

Fourth: I'm just plain tireder and older than when I got started.  My self-discipline is greater, but my energy is probably less ferocious than it used to be.  I could turn Dresden into Mack Bolan, from a mental-stamina standpoint, but I don't think I'd much enjoy it, and I doubt most of the readers would, either.  My wrists and hands hurt a lot more quickly than they used to when I sit down at the keyboard.  It isn't a huge deal, but it does put a limit on how much time I can sit and concentrate.

Fifth: There are way more miscellaneous demands on my time than there used to be, as I've gotten older and taken on more responsibility and stuff.  Things like, for example, spending an hour of keyboard time writing frustration-driven fan-relations posts to the web site.

Now, granted, this was from over two years ago, but I would imagine most, if not all, of this still holds true.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »
It's taken Jim a lot longer than six months to write the last three Dresden books, and the series has only grown more complicated in that time.  Beyond that, Jim himself has all but stated that a DF book once a year is a thing of the past.

Now, granted, this was from over two years ago, but I would imagine most, if not all, of this still holds true.
Probably so, and all reasonable.  That being said he was churning out 2 books a year last time he had two series going, and kept saying at the time that the 2nd project actually helped keep him fresh and motivated, when he'd otherwise burn out on Dresden.  So while Dresden may not get a book a year anymore, its still possible that Butcher himself will be able to do more than a book a year overall.  Especially if he is dialing back the short story commitments, per your quote they sound like a disproportionate amount of time.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 06:52:47 AM »
This tweet just in from Jim.

"2.5 hours, 4500 words.

Damn, I love it when I get on a roll. :)

Cinder Spires 1, almost done!"
https://twitter.com/longshotauthor

It won't be long before it's finished and the publishing countdown can begin.

Groucho Marx

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 09:54:48 AM »
This tweet just in from Jim.

"2.5 hours, 4500 words.

Damn, I love it when I get on a roll. :)

Cinder Spires 1, almost done!"
https://twitter.com/longshotauthor

It won't be long before it's finished and the publishing countdown can begin.

Thanks for spreading the word :)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Magogthemighty

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 10:24:59 PM »
Has the book been completed?

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 07:26:07 PM »
As far as we know he hasn't finished it, but I noticed that he hasn't made a single tweet about anything for the past week.  Jim will be appearing at DragonCon this weekend.  Perhaps he will make some kind of announcement there.  Watch his twitter account the weekend, he will almost certainly do some tweets from the convention.  Even if he doesn't make an official announcement someone at the Q&A session he will be doing will certainly record it and post it to YouTube.  I would look for that to happen sometime early next week.  He will likely get a question about The Cinder Spires, so we can watch his response when it's posted.  Plus anyone on the forum whose in attendance can post that information here.     

Groucho Marx

Offline slayn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 08:38:51 PM »
I overheard Jim talking to someone after a panel about this.  He has six chapters left to write, then he'll turn it over to his editor(s).  He said publishers don't like to announced release dates until they have a manuscript in hand, so we should realistically expect to hear something by the end of October.

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 09:50:26 PM »
Cool. Maybe I can consider a late birthday present for myself. :)

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 03:43:39 PM »
At Dragon Con Jim said the first Cinder Spires book will be published "Some time next year."  I attended most of his panels and I don't recall hearing anything more specific than that. 

Here are my video recordings of the panels I attended: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWB32AbZlbsBM6aW5bythLg428V4W3KVe

As far as we know he hasn't finished it, but I noticed that he hasn't made a single tweet about anything for the past week.  Jim will be appearing at DragonCon this weekend.  Perhaps he will make some kind of announcement there.  Watch his twitter account the weekend, he will almost certainly do some tweets from the convention.  Even if he doesn't make an official announcement someone at the Q&A session he will be doing will certainly record it and post it to YouTube.  I would look for that to happen sometime early next week.  He will likely get a question about The Cinder Spires, so we can watch his response when it's posted.  Plus anyone on the forum whose in attendance can post that information here.     

Offline Palescotsman

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 12:35:37 AM »
Meh. A great book that's late is late until it comes out.

A bad book is bad forever. I'm willing to wait for another great book.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 08:41:11 AM »
Latest tweet from Jim:

"Just came out of a three hour writing trance during the climax of the first Cinder Spires.  Mmmm*MMM* that's good doom!"
https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/528103751895490560

So that means Jim just has to finish the denouement.  That can't be more than two chapters, probably.  Then the Beta readers look over the last chapters, Jim makes any revisions he feels are necessary and he sends the whole thing in.  Can't be more than what, another month? (Hoping)

Anyway, once Jim gives the official word that he sent it in, I believe from past books the publishing process takes about eight months, so my guess is a mid to late Summer release. 

Groucho Marx

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 12:43:48 PM »
Latest tweet from Jim:

"Just came out of a three hour writing trance during the climax of the first Cinder Spires.  Mmmm*MMM* that's good doom!"
https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/528103751895490560

So that means Jim just has to finish the denouement.  That can't be more than two chapters, probably.  Then the Beta readers look over the last chapters, Jim makes any revisions he feels are necessary and he sends the whole thing in.  Can't be more than what, another month? (Hoping)

Anyway, once Jim gives the official word that he sent it in, I believe from past books the publishing process takes about eight months, so my guess is a mid to late Summer release.
It depends. usually he had beta's reading it as he goes, so only the new parts need to be read. since it's the conclusion, he might just send it to the editor.

editing and publishing has taken anywhere from 3 months to 6, depending on how busy the printers are. is he sends it in by the end of November, editing could  done by the end of December, depending on schedules and holidays, it could be March or spring.

Offline frankcesca

• Posty McPostington
  • Captain Nitpick
    • View Profile
    • and then I cooked...
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2014, 08:23:11 PM »
It depends. usually he had beta's reading it as he goes, so only the new parts need to be read. since it's the conclusion, he might just send it to the editor.

editing and publishing has taken anywhere from 3 months to 6, depending on how busy the printers are. is he sends it in by the end of November, editing could  done by the end of December, depending on schedules and holidays, it could be March or spring.

I hope it's March! I'll have nothing to do as I gotta stop working 6 weeks before my due date in April :)
Carlos is a planarian.  This is quite efficient as, if he is ever bisected during a fight, there will be two of him.

You are a good person. Don't let anyone take that away from you. Not even yourself.
JB, TC