Linked Events

• Phoenix ComiCon: June 05, 2014 - June 08, 2014

Author Topic: Jim at Phoenix ComiCon - June 5-8  (Read 15298 times)

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at Phoenix ComiCon - June 5-8
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2014, 06:31:32 AM »
I wanted to go to Coppercon as well but I was broke at the time.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Fleegle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 01:36:05 AM »
Aw, crap...  I've been looking at the Phoenix Comicon events, and the Spotlight on Jim Butcher ends 30 minutes before the Spotlight on John Barrowman starts...  My wife will want to line uip early for Barrowman...  This may cause... friction.

Offline anungunrama

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 09:37:21 PM »
you can always have her get in line and save you a spot :)...also i was just going through and jim is going on be on several different panels

Offline EyeballKid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 05:25:46 PM »
I'll be there for Friday and half of Saturday, so I'll be able to make Jim's solo panel! This will be my first con in probably ten years...should be interesting!

I'm heading up from Tucson, as well, and hopefully I'll make it to the Poisoned Pen on Thursday to avoid the long lines for signings at the con. It's gonna be a lot of driving...

Offline Fleegle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 11:51:07 PM »
Here's Jim's page on the Phoenix Comicon's website.  It shows which panels he'll be attending.

https://phoenixcomicon.com/guests/1011

I can't seem to find any info on when any guests will be available for autographs, so I don't know if or when Jim will be signing there.

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2014, 08:24:58 PM »
Another Phoenician here.  Very excited about the Con.  Went last year, but missed out on many things.  Bought the 4 day pass this year.  Gonna be good!

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2014, 06:52:06 PM »
Are any of you all planning to meet up somewhere during the convention like before the signing last night?

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2014, 04:48:26 AM »
I haven't heard anything about that. I got a couple of books signed today. That was fun. I finally got to meet (as in "Hi. Nice to finally meet you. Goodbye.) Priscellie. Of course I'm going to have to change my name to Aahz now so she'll know who I am. I got to meet Anne Sowards as well which was fun. Of course I immediately called her Amie. I'd like to blame it on my old and abused eyes not being able to tell the difference between nn and mi but I've actually heard people call her by name before. I'll have to come up with another excuse for my mental lapse. I'm planning to be at the spotlight event tomorrow as well as the signing. I might even make a panel. I asked the people in line around me if any of them were on the board but they all looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language so I I didn't say any more.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline EyeballKid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2014, 04:42:07 PM »
I was racing around Comic Con the last two days and I had to leave early yesterday to drive back to Tucson. I was hoping to make it up again today, but it's not in the cards. I saw Cenphx briefly in the hall as I was racing out to my car and I believe at the Magic Systems panel - but by the time the smoke cleared you were gone.

The Magic Systems panel was a lot of fun, as was Jim's Saturday morning spotlight. He said we WOULD get a definitive answer about Mac before the series ends! I asked Jim what he'd like to see in Star Wars VII, and he said he'd love to see Han Solo being a jealous husband and grumpy father. I'd love to see that!

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to the signing line, but I'm glad I still got a couple signatures on Thursday. Hope you all have fun today at the con!

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2014, 05:38:14 PM »
I hope I didn't post this somewhere else already. My brain is still reeling from the con. I'm probably going back to day but I haven't decided for sure. I somehow overlooked the magic systems panel and missed it but I went to the Setting and Place in Urban Fantasy panel and laughed until I nearly cried. I don't know that I learned much about setting and place but Heather Brewer was hysterical and once she got warmed up Vicki Pettersson was funny as well. Jim was trying to stay quiet but Heather kept drawing him into the discussions and he had his usual humor. It was a lot of fun.

At the end, the authors were all asked where they were going next and they all replied that they were going to the drinks with authors event so my friend and I wandered over there. It was a blast. Jim was surrounded the whole night so I only got to speak with him briefly but he was charming as usual in spite of posing for dozens of pictures and being hemmed in until I'm surprised he could breathe. I got to speak with quite a few authors most of whom I've never read but all were very nice. It was a fantastic event. I even got another chance to talk briefly with Anne Sowards and Priscilla. Everyone was friendly. There are a couple of authors whose books I am going to have to try just because they were such incredibly nice people that I feel I should give their work a chance. Of course my brain was overheating and I usually thought about what I should have said or asked about ten minutes after I walked away from someone.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to go back today. I'm tired but I'll probably go. There are a couple of panels that look fun and my friend never got his copy of Skin Game signed so I might go to one of Jim's signings. I have a copy of Fool Moon that I wouldn't mind getting signed myself.

I closing in on 50 and this was my first con but I'm glad I went. I'll have to start planning to make this a yearly event.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2014, 05:42:02 PM »
The Magic Systems panel was a lot of fun, as was Jim's Saturday morning spotlight. He said we WOULD get a definitive answer about Mac before the series ends! I asked Jim what he'd like to see in Star Wars VII, and he said he'd love to see Han Solo being a jealous husband and grumpy father. I'd love to see that!

That was you? I heard the question but I didn't pay attention to who was asking. Jim talking about Hans stunning his daughter's unsuitable dates made me laugh.

Offline EyeballKid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2014, 05:52:34 PM »
I hope I didn't post this somewhere else already. My brain is still reeling from the con. I'm probably going back to day but I haven't decided for sure. I somehow overlooked the magic systems panel and missed it but I went to the Setting and Place in Urban Fantasy panel and laughed until I nearly cried. I don't know that I learned much about setting and place but Heather Brewer was hysterical and once she got warmed up Vicki Pettersson was funny as well. Jim was trying to stay quiet but Heather kept drawing him into the discussions and he had his usual humor. It was a lot of fun.

At the end, the authors were all asked where they were going next and they all replied that they were going to the drinks with authors event so my friend and I wandered over there. It was a blast. Jim was surrounded the whole night so I only got to speak with him briefly but he was charming as usual in spite of posing for dozens of pictures and being hemmed in until I'm surprised he could breathe. I got to speak with quite a few authors most of whom I've never read but all were very nice. It was a fantastic event. I even got another chance to talk briefly with Anne Sowards and Priscilla. Everyone was friendly. There are a couple of authors whose books I am going to have to try just because they were such incredibly nice people that I feel I should give their work a chance. Of course my brain was overheating and I usually thought about what I should have said or asked about ten minutes after I walked away from someone.

I closing in on 50 and this was my first con but I'm glad I went. I'll have to start planning to make this a yearly event.

Both of those sound like a lot of fun, I wish I could have gone! Did you make it to the Comedy's Hard panel on Friday? That was one I was very sad to miss, but the drive took a good two hours and just figuring out the layout of the con was ridiculous!

It was my first con as well (other than some small single focus events - X-Files and Buffy back in the day), and I had a blast! It was confusing and crazy and ridiculous, but quite fun. I realized that in the realm of nerds, I am a VERY SMALL nerd. I mean...there are fandoms at the con that I didn't even know existed. Plus, I am completely oblivious to the whole anime thing, which had a very strong presence.

That was you? I heard the question but I didn't pay attention to who was asking. Jim talking about Hans stunning his daughter's unsuitable dates made me laugh.

That was me! I thought it was hilarious, as well. I'd love to see overprotective Han! I figured Jim would actually have more ideas, but he seemed slightly flummoxed by the question.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2014, 06:13:15 PM »
I did not make the comedy panel. It did sound good.

I figured Jim would actually have more ideas, but he seemed slightly flummoxed by the question.

I think that he was getting too many questions from too many different angles, everything from comparing Buffy the Musical to Dr. Horrible's Sing a Long Blog to which three fictinal characters he'd like to spend time with (I totally nailed this one. I said, "Lara" just seconds before Jim gave the same answer.  If you asked him that one on one and he had time to think about it, I'm sure he would have more ideas.

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »
My first Con as well. I was only going to go for one day and have instead been here every day. It's been beyond amazing. I have been following Rothfuss and Sam Sykes and Myke Cole and Jim to every panel they are on. No matter they are talking about, it has been incredibly interesting and funny.

Right now I am awaiting Jim's panel on how to keep a long running series interesting and I can't wait for the Writing Rogues panel this afternoon.

For anyone who did not make it to the Author Batsu panel run by Sam Sykes, you missed out on one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Anytime one of the authors laughed, they had to do a shot of salsa. Rothfuss wore a wizard's hat throughout, Scalzi had on a lucha libra mask at one point. Myke Cole laughed while doing a shot and inhaled the salsa. Then he threw up.

I can't believe how great this whole CC was. Completely worth the time and money.

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2014, 06:22:20 PM »
Aw, crap...  I've been looking at the Phoenix Comicon events, and the Spotlight on Jim Butcher ends 30 minutes before the Spotlight on John Barrowman starts...  My wife will want to line uip early for Barrowman...  This may cause... friction.
Hey Fleegle!!! It's was great meeting you at Jim's panel!