Linked Events

• Phoenix ComiCon: June 05, 2014 - June 08, 2014

Author Topic: Jim at Phoenix ComiCon - June 5-8  (Read 15291 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Jim at Phoenix ComiCon - June 5-8
« on: March 04, 2014, 05:02:14 AM »
Phoenix Comicon
June 5-8, 2014
Phoenix Convention Center
122 N 2nd Street
Phoenix, AZ 85004

Jim's time in AZ also includes a signing for folks not attending the convention:
Thursday, June 5 at 7:00 PM
Poisoned Pen
4014 N Goldwater Blvd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:52:24 PM by Priscellie »

Offline sftv

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at Phoenix ComiCon - June 5-8
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 09:07:05 PM »
A few notes on Phoenix Comicon for those who aren't local and might be interested in attending.

The convention is growing (much as a lot of Comic Cons), but we've been doing a steady increase over several years so have not had the growing pains some cons have had.  Last year's attendance was 55,000.  This year is expected to be more.  We've expanded the exhibitor space from last year and have additional program space. 

We will have close to 70 published authors on hand with three publishers exhibiting (Tor Books, Del Rey Books and Angry Robot).  The front page at http://www.phoenixcomicon.com currently has around 40 of the authors listed with 20+ more to come.

For the Books and Authors programming, I have four rooms dedicated to SF/F literature oriented programming (including a number of panels about writing), one dedicated to educational topics (for which educators can get learning credits), plus will also have panels in our larger event rooms.  We're also doing an evening Drinks with Authors event on Saturday night.

On the exhibit floor, we'll have an Author's Alley area with many of the participating authors having table space, signing table for those authors not doing a table as well as a larger area for the authors who will definitely draw a crowd.  Our bookseller is Mysterious Galaxy Books and we've expanded their space this year to accommodate all the books they will be carrying.

Jim will definitely be doing a solo talk and will be doing panels with other authors during the weekend. We're still in the process of putting together panel ideas.

For those interested in gaming, we have a large gaming area with many RPG and card games available. There's also plenty of comics guests, anime, horror, costuming, youth, actor guests, and various other things going on.

The hotels closest to the convention center are filling up, with the Sheraton being the one with the most rooms available.  Yes, it will be warm in Phoenix in early June, but the convention center and the hotels have very strong air conditioners.  The light rail also goes right by the convention center, so if you are staying elsewhere and you can get to it, you don't have to worry about parking.

Any questions you may have about the convention, please post them in this thread.

Lee Whiteside
Books and Authors Manager, Phoenix Comicon

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »
I am excited about this year's Comicon. Several more author's names have been added including Scott Lynch and L E Modesitt. I also see that John Barrowman and Nathan Fillion have been added to the guest list.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 09:43:17 PM »
SCOTT LYNCH EEEEEEEEE

Offline sftv

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:45:08 PM »
SCOTT LYNCH EEEEEEEEE

Calm down....  Bear will be there as well, so restrain yourself.

BTW, We've got almost the entire list of authors announced.  Now the trick is figuring out who goes on what panel.  We definitely won't put 10 urban fantasy authors all on the same panel like San Diego.

Offline foxfyre841

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 11:29:04 PM »
New user here!  Didn't see where it said if he would bring "Skin Game" for signing (and if he would be toting the books "in quantity.")  I am sure that by saturday or sunday, which is when I will be attending, that not many would be left if the number brought were reduced!

Looking forward to the con!

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 07:12:54 AM »
New user here!  Didn't see where it said if he would bring "Skin Game" for signing (and if he would be toting the books "in quantity.")  I am sure that by saturday or sunday, which is when I will be attending, that not many would be left if the number brought were reduced!

Looking forward to the con!

Jim won't be bringing copies to sell himself, but I expect there will be a designated book vendor at the con who will stock up in anticipation!  Lee probably knows better than I, though.

Offline sftv

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »
Yes, Mysterious Galaxy will be the bookseller at the convention and should have plenty of copies.  Jim is also doing the signing at The Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale on Thursday night and they should have some available afterwards.  I would suggest that if you are planning to go to Phoenix Comicon, it would be best to purchase your tickets in advance.

For programming, it looks like Jim's main solo talk will be early afternoon on Saturday.  He'll be doing other panels throughout the weekend but that will be the one where it will be all about Jim's work.

Lee Whiteside
Books and Authors Manager, Phoenix Comicon

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 12:53:08 AM »
Man, I am so freaking squeeful about PHXCC. Cannot waaaaaaaaaait!

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 04:05:47 AM »
You are planning to be there? I guess I should have known from your earlier comments and I know it's not that far from L.A. to Phoenix but I didn't realize.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 08:02:57 AM »
You are planning to be there? I guess I should have known from your earlier comments and I know it's not that far from L.A. to Phoenix but I didn't realize.

Yup! It's just a six hour drive.  Lots of quality audiobook time. :D

Offline anungunrama

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 09:24:16 AM »
I'm super excited about this...i had already bought tickets for phoenix comicon but if i hadn't i would have the day this was posted.  when i saw them announce it on their facebook page i flipped out. 

Offline mcjanie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 02:56:14 AM »
Hi all. Joined this forum just to ask for advice on this very topic.  How crowded do Jim's panels tend to get?  I'm considering my first "real" con attendance at this year's event in Phoenix, and it's because of several of the authors who are coming (Jim B. and Scott L. being top of the growing list -- very nice work, Mr. Whiteside!).  And by real con attendance, I mean taking off work (gasp) and going for myself to attend panels, not just taking my young son to show off his Joker costume on Sunday in the exhibition hall (we live in Phx).  But I'm dithering because I worry about taking leave time, finding a babysitter, and getting myself down there, only to get shut out of the popular author panels by other fans who have a much higher tolerance for and ability to get someplace early and camp out until the panel they want to see comes on. Is it not worth coming if I'm not willing to do the hardcore queuing thing?  What has your experience been in getting in to see Jim's panels at cons in other large cities?  Thanks for any advice you may have, including that I must not be a real fan if I feel the need to ask this question -- that will be most of an answer in and of itself.

Offline anungunrama

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 11:08:12 AM »
i've never seen jim at a convention before but i have been to phoenix comicon before and they do a really good job at having enough room for the panels they are having.  the only panel i missed out on last year was john barrowman but that was only because the line was so long that i just decided to go to another panel only to find out they still had a lot of seats left.  besides that i haven't had any problems at phoenixcc in the past with making it into a panel i wanted to see due to seating.  hope this helps

Offline jomaxc

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »
Hi mcjanie, and welcome. I'm curious as well. I went to MisCon last year and had a blast. The panels had plenty of room and Jim was everywhere; chatting, mingling, just being very approachable and awesome in every way at that con. MisCon was my first con ever and I've been itching to find the time and resources to attend another. Phoenix Comicon will be my second convention, and in a much larger venue. I'm going to see the authors, especially Jim and absorb whatever writerly wisdoms I can from them in person. The comics, stars and cosplay are just a bonus. Hopefully the lines won't be horrendous. I'd imagine the rooms will be large enough, but with a convention this large I could be wrong. Crossing my fingers there'll be plenty of room.