Author Topic: Dexterity Powers  (Read 6175 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Dexterity Powers
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 05:15:46 AM »
No response?

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 06:27:55 PM »
Night shift kills me.

Various thoughts with little connection to each other:

1. I dunno about that. I can see a lot of scenarios where the swordsman wins. But it depends on the Refresh level, how far away the fighters start, and the way each character is built.

2. Of course, duels generally ignore a lot of important stuff. Like a spellcaster's ritual casting, the flexibility of magic, a swordsman's greater skill selection, and a swordsman's ability to fight more-or-less forever.

The set up seems about right to me, bar a couple of things I'm not a fan of (like Living Weapon). It matches up to magic quite well, though I feel that spellcasters are still more powerful than this.

3. In retrospect, it would probably be appropriate for the Weapons boosts to affect maneuvers and blocks. Don't want to make the Power stronger, but it feels weird.

Maybe drop the weapon bonus down to:

Inhuman: +2 stress.
Supernatural: +1 Weapons, +2 stress.
Mythic: +2 Weapons, +4 stress.

That would put it at Fantastic Weapons, but would make it a bit more balanced when including manoeuvres and blocks. It'd be effectively the same as Incite Potent Mass Selective Physical Restrictive Protective Effect [-7] in that case, but limited to Weapons and unable to upgrade past Mythic.

4. If you had the job of altering the Skill Powers until you felt they were fair, what changes would you make? Would you make any?

Damn, that's a tough one. I think Limitation does a lot more for balancing than any changes to the actual skills would do, since the Catch always seemed clunky to me (plus there's no way as a GM I'd let anything, PC or NPC, take a +6 Catch like the rulebook allows).

5. If any of you are going to allow Powers like these in your game, please think about the effect they have on the viability of Stunts and whether you're okay with that.

Well, this kinda came up as part of a Worm RPG I'm running on another site, where the character has self improvement powers associated with the wind (speed, dexterity, teleportation, etc.). He tried to take Inhuman Dexterity as is on the wiki and my mind went NOPE!

6. Sorry about the derail, PirateJack.

No problem. Discussions like this are always better than Q/A sessions.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 09:13:38 PM »
The set up seems about right to me, bar a couple of things I'm not a fan of (like Living Weapon). It matches up to magic quite well, though I feel that spellcasters are still more powerful than this.

Huh, really?

Seems like people in general don't rate this Power nearly as highly as I do.

Also, what do you not like about Living Weapon? Do you think it should be changed because it's bad, or is it just not to your taste?

Maybe drop the weapon bonus down to:

Inhuman: +2 stress.
Supernatural: +1 Weapons, +2 stress.
Mythic: +2 Weapons, +4 stress.

That could work, but it's simpler and more elegant to have each tier give +1. I'll think about it.

What would you think of just removing the weapon rating bonus? People could pick up stunts or Strength for that. Maybe also get rid of the multi-zone attack option on Mythic Skill, since that seems to scare people. Then we could expand the Weapons bonus to maneuvers and blocks. It'd still be too strong compared to stunts, but it might balance well against other Powers.

And do you think the stacking limitation is actually necessary? I'm starting to think that people wouldn't buy stunts or True Aim anyway, since another level of Skill is probably better.

Well, this kinda came up as part of a Worm RPG I'm running on another site...

Sounds interesting. Can I get a link?

Offline cowardlylion

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 11:38:11 PM »
Just to see what a Submerged character with this power might look like here is one I made earlier.

Name: Lancer
High Concept: Spear of Justice
Trouble: Last of a cursed Tribe
Aspect: Code Sworn , Untouchable Martial Master, The quickest path is straight ahead, A time for all things.

Powers
Mythic Skill (-6)
Berserk Armour (-2)
+2 Obvious Item of Power (Red Plate Mail)
+2 Inhuman Toughness
+2 Inhuman Strength

Stunts
Mind of Steel: Add +2 to discipline when defending against supernatural mental attacks.

Skills:
+5 Weapons, Discipline
+4 Alertness, Conviction
+3 Endurance, Presence 
+2 Athletics, Might, Intimidate
+1 Rapport, Empathy, Resources, Contacts, Survival

So he has an eight for both physical attack and defense and a weapon rating of 8 when wielding a great-sword.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:40:15 PM by cowardlylion »

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 10:06:10 AM »
Huh, really?

Seems like people in general don't rate this Power nearly as highly as I do.

Also, what do you not like about Living Weapon? Do you think it should be changed because it's bad, or is it just not to your taste?

It means that if you don't have a Wizard on side there's very little way to stop this guy. The way you defeat a master swordsman is to take away his sword; if you can't do that you're effectively forced to cripple or kill him in order to win. It limits the options available to a character to be forced into that level of violence, especially if you want to take him alive. It also means that if another Mythic-level swordsman comes along they're both unable to disarm each other, which is probably realistic, but not quite in the spirit of the way the FATE system works, which is more like a pulp fiction novel than real life.

More than that though, the infinite bonus for modifying is fine for Weapons but doesn't make sense for other skills. Why should a swordsman get a bonus to, say, Might when using it to modify? He doesn't grow any stronger, and any bonuses Might would give to Weapons is already included in there implicitly since it goes into being able to wield a sword in the first place. Doesn't make sense to me.

Lastly, you effectively make Weapons into Fists+ with the ability to use it unarmed. Maybe if you had Natural Weaponry or a Shapeshifting ability, but even then I think this would be better off as a stunt than part of this power.

That could work, but it's simpler and more elegant to have each tier give +1. I'll think about it.

What would you think of just removing the weapon rating bonus? People could pick up stunts or Strength for that. Maybe also get rid of the multi-zone attack option on Mythic Skill, since that seems to scare people. Then we could expand the Weapons bonus to maneuvers and blocks. It'd still be too strong compared to stunts, but it might balance well against other Powers.

That could work. This power is trying to do too much and is overlapping in other skills' areas. So yeah, let's get rid of the weapon rating bonus.

Thinking about it, this skill with the multi-zone attack would be a great way to model Black Kaze's power in Worm.

Anyway, let's compare the bonuses to the other skill powers, assuming an optimised build at Submerged for each power.

Mythic strength acts at +8 Might with 4 stress inflicted as a supplemental in a grapple. Muscular force attacks get +6 stress.

Mythic Speed gives an effective Athletics of +8. Sprinting increases that to +11.

Mythic Toughness gives +6 physical stress boxes and natural Armour:3. That means 10 stress minimum to inflict a consequence in one hit.

Mythic Recovery gives instant recovery after a scene has ended and the ability to clear away three physical consequences. (As a side note, does that mean you can clear three consequences at once or one consequence three times? The wording favours the latter, but I'd like to be sure.) That's an effective minimum of +6 stress per scene, with a maximum of +24 stress per scene.

I'd say we want this power to be a bit weaker than Mythic Strength and Speed, since this power would cover both offence and defence plus manoeuvres and blocks. Since Strength has stress bonuses already, we should shelve that. We don't want to completely replace Athletics as the defensive power, so perhaps getting rid of the ability to parry anything... Limit it to being able to block single target attacks that are targeting him? We have to drop the multi-zone attack because Wizards have to pay -2 power for every zone they want to attack. This guy could do it at full power with exactly zero cost. The choice of target for zone wide attacks is enough, I think.

(click to show/hide)

Thinking about it some more, I think the flat bonus to Weapons could easily apply to knowledge as well, since part of being an expert swordsman is knowing what you're up against as well as using various forms with various advantages/disadvantages (or that's what my fantasy reading tells me). If it doesn't, Limitation would be able to cover that more effectively.

Anyway, this way we're looking at +8 Weapons/+3 stress, but able to target every enemy in a zone (without hurting allies) for 11 stress before rolls/armour. Defensively we've got +8 defence against everything from Fists to lasers, but not area of effect weaponry or some spells.

I'd say we have to drop the flat bonus. Maybe drop it from Inhuman Skill entirely and make Sup/Mythic Skill into a +1/+2 bonus. So we'd be looking at +7/+3 at 10 stress total before rolls/armour and +7 as a defensive skill. That means it's not quite doing the same job as Mythic Speed but it synergises well with the lower levels of it, with the same going for the Strength powers but moreso because of the stress bonus.

It also means a Submerged character would need to take a pretty hefty Limitation to get anything above Inhuman Power to go with Mythic Skill, which I think fits.

And do you think the stacking limitation is actually necessary? I'm starting to think that people wouldn't buy stunts or True Aim anyway, since another level of Skill is probably better.

Well, that's kinda true about Athletics and Fists with the Speed and Strength powers. I mean, another level of Strength is objectively better than the Killer Blow stunt and Fleet of Foot is part of Inhuman Athletics. Not to mention Tireless, No Pain, No Gain and Tough Stuff compared to Supernatural Toughness (plus Catch/Limitation). I think what we're seeing here is a difference in how stunts are viewed. I view stunts as a way to make a character unique, which is why most of the stunts I use are made up from scratch. Once I've got the basic character concept down (powers) I'll go for stunts to make him my own.

Sounds interesting. Can I get a link?

Sure!

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=25726

We're in the City Creation stage at the moment and I'm trying to wrangle the players into making actual characters rather than powersets at the same time. Also, if you're in to fanfic we've got a decent amount of Dresden Files stuff. Mostly of very high quality.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 02:48:10 PM »
Personally, I'd have a dexterity grant a bonus to maneuvers with weapons, not attacks or stress.  To show skilled, somewhat flashy, uses of weapons skill.  The swashbuckler disarming his opponent, cutting the strap on their armor, that sort of thing.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 07:37:23 PM »
Personally, I'd have a dexterity grant a bonus to maneuvers with weapons, not attacks or stress.  To show skilled, somewhat flashy, uses of weapons skill.  The swashbuckler disarming his opponent, cutting the strap on their armor, that sort of thing.

Yeah.  My group wouldn't use the old version or the new one.  Still unbalanced in out opinions.  I agree with InferrumVeritas.  Bonuses to dodge or accuracy are better than just doing stress most times. 

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 06:28:59 AM »
If we break down what each of the powers do, each has about 4 effects of similar power: (I've grouped recovery/toughness).  From looking at PirateJacks original take, it looks like he kind of broke it down like this.

Primary Effect
Strength gives +2/4/6 Damage
Speed gives +1/2/3 dodge
Toughness/recovery gives: 1/2/3 armour

Dexterity shouldn't give any of those benefits. Give it +1/2/3 accuracy instead.

Secondary Effect
Strength gives +3/6/9 for lifting breaking
Speed gives +1/2/3 free zones for moving
Toughness/recovery gives + 2/4/6 stress boxes

Dexterity should give some equivalent. +1/2/3 for Weapons maneuvers (or maybe +2/4/6?)

specific "situational" bonus
Strength: +1/2/3 damage/accuracy for grappling
Speed: +4 etc.. initiative bonuses
Toughness/recovery: long term recovery from consequences.

dexterity: Ambush 1/scene. ambush @+1; ambush @+2

Random Effect
Strength: Modifies: +1/2/3
Speed: Diffuculty factors for stealth drop by 2/4/never impedes
Toughness/recovery: Endurance never restricts.  No need to eat or sleep.

Dexterity: Quick Draw + Maybe can draw so quickly that they never parry at mediocre even when ambushed?
Or  Weapons never restricts...something to that effect.

I'm not saying it's perfect...  Just suggesting a way to make it on par with the other "building block" powers.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 09:05:37 PM »
I like the idea of breaking it down into 4 effects and I tried to do something like that myself. But...

There should be some defensive benefits. Otherwise weapon-dude will probably end up defending with Athletics, and that's kinda lame. If you want the benefit to not be too strong, maybe Weapons Footwork + the ability to apply your Speed dodge bonuses to Weapons defences would fit.

+1/+2/+3 to maneuvers is just really weak.

And ambushes are kinda brutal, but adding 1 or 2 to the roll doesn't change much. I think that suggestion front-loads too much power in the Inhuman tier.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 09:40:14 PM »
Strength doesn't give a benefit to defense.  But I see your point. +1/2/3 to weapon skill (including parrying) but I wouldn't let it replace the speed power by letting you defend against ranged attacks.

Originally, for the ambushes, I had:
inhuman = quick-draw (no supplemental to draw) which is the equivalent to a +1
supernatural = ambush
Mythic = ambush +1

I don't really like that, though.  Also, I don't want to give an advantage to initiative, though, since speed does that already.

- I like the spray attack idea (not the zone-wide)
- I like the Maneuver idea - maybe a +2/4/6 to maneuvers.
- I like the "never defending at mediocre" - even when ambushed.  So you still don't get an action on an ambush round, but at least you can instantly draw(a la quick-draw) and defend.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 10:19:47 PM »
If you give people a Weapons defence boost and no ranged parry, they'll just take Footwork. Using your probably-about-Good Athletics instead of your probably-effectively-Epic Weapons is just a huge pain.

And honestly, it should be possible to be a great fighter and not a great sprinter. Someone like Shiro shouldn't be so vulnerable to guns and evocations.

Never defending at mediocre sounds good to me. Doubling the maneuver bonus also sounds good, though there are potential issues.

That model for ambushes just moves the big level to Supernatural. The problem is, the three levels aren't remotely equal.

Not sure what you have against zone attacks. Anyone with Weapons can use them just by grabbing a grenade and every wizard has them. They're a common effect, no point trying to play keep-away with them.

Personally, I like zone attacks here because they're a natural outgrowth of the spray attack effect. Spray-zone-selective zone is a nice progression between tiers, with a mechanically-useful and narratively-appropriate effect.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »
If you give people a Weapons defence boost and no ranged parry, they'll just take Footwork. Using your probably-about-Good Athletics instead of your probably-effectively-Epic Weapons is just a huge pain.

And honestly, it should be possible to be a great fighter and not a great sprinter. Someone like Shiro shouldn't be so vulnerable to guns and evocations.

Fair enough, then let them spend a refresh on footwork.  I don't think it should be a gimme, IMO.  There'd be less of a reason for taking a Speed Power.  If you give them the defense vs ranged I feel it becomes an all eggs in one basket type of power.  If you're a weapons person, there'd be no reason NOT to take this power since it lets you attack/defend with one skill plus some other benefits.

I don't see why a swordsman should be as effective against guns as they are against weapons.
That model for ambushes just moves the big level to Supernatural. The problem is, the three levels aren't remotely equal.
Yeah, I just thought there could be some kind of bonus for drawing quickly...but once again, I don't think it should actually improve initiative.

Not sure what you have against zone attacks. Anyone with Weapons can use them just by grabbing a grenade and every wizard has them. They're a common effect, no point trying to play keep-away with them.

Both grenades and spells have a limited supply while this ability does not.

I don't know.  Honestly, I've only seen it in one combat and the character had modular abilities.  When she didn't use it, the party was struggling(and they were supposed to struggle...it was a tough encounter); when she used it she wiped the floor with lots of enemies.  Mostly mooks, mind you, but still.  It helped that she could fly and had Supernatural speed.  She could always move then blast and commanded the battlefield.

In the first round she had it on and obliterated people.  Then she turned it off and flew around doing mostly minimal stuff.  It seemed sub-optimal to have it turned off.  When she finally turned it back on again, it was game over for the encounter.

Personally, I like zone attacks here because they're a natural outgrowth of the spray attack effect. Spray-zone-selective zone is a nice progression between tiers, with a mechanically-useful and narratively-appropriate effect.

Spray attacks don't get used much because splitting your attack really lowers effectiveness.  That's why I thought bonuses to spray attacks would make it more a viable ability.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 12:06:22 AM »
Fair enough, then let them spend a refresh on footwork.  I don't think it should be a gimme, IMO.

False choices are bad design. If everyone who takes Power X wants/needs Stunt X, it's better to include Stunt X in Power X even if you have to increase the Refresh cost. It removes traps and makes the game more balanced.

If you're a weapons person, there'd be no reason NOT to take this power since it lets you attack/defend with one skill plus some other benefits.

I think that'll be the case no matter what we do, unfortunately. If you're "strong guy", there's no reason not to take Strength. If you're "weapon guy", there's no reason not to take this.

Which would be a decent reason not to allow this Power no matter how well-written it is, in my opinion. And honestly none of the versions we have here are super-duper well-done.

I don't see why a swordsman should be as effective against guns as they are against weapons.

How would you feel about using Weapons -1 for ranged defence?

I don't know.  Honestly, I've only seen it in one combat and the character had modular abilities.  When she didn't use it, the party was struggling(and they were supposed to struggle...it was a tough encounter); when she used it she wiped the floor with lots of enemies.  Mostly mooks, mind you, but still.  It helped that she could fly and had Supernatural speed.  She could always move then blast and commanded the battlefield.

In the first round she had it on and obliterated people.  Then she turned it off and flew around doing mostly minimal stuff.  It seemed sub-optimal to have it turned off.  When she finally turned it back on again, it was game over for the encounter.

Spray attacks don't get used much because splitting your attack really lowers effectiveness.  That's why I thought bonuses to spray attacks would make it more a viable ability.

Okay, that makes sense.

Zone attacks are indeed brutal against mook hordes. Every half-decent evoker laughs at huge armies of trash enemies.

But they're a part of the system, and the limits on their use are small. If you want to be really effective against hordes, you need them. Restricting them to a couple of character types doesn't fix that.

Also, Wings and Speed and a ranged attack is pretty amazing.

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 05:55:38 PM »
I haven't really followed the thread, but have you considered ranged bonuses? Like, not only on guns, but also a Discipline bonus to aiming enchanted items, and the like, if a wizard takes this power for example.

Offline cowardlylion

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 10:24:19 PM »
Well there are several different balance issues this power has first how much should accuracy boosts cost and the in-game answers are 1 refresh for +2 attack with focus items, 1 refresh for +1 attack with stunts and 1 refresh with true aim (give or take). The power isn't the cheapest way to boost accuracy.

The next point of balance is the true cap. For magic this is skill x 3 as you can add a skill and your lore twice with enough refresh. It is possible with a superb skill cap to have +15 accuracy.

For melee the cap is more subjective as a lot of the ways to raise it most gm's will not allow you can have 6 (with a stunt) 7 (if you allow true aim), possibly 8 (if you allow swing for the fences) or 12 (if you allow sacred guardian).

With the power as written you end up with a Cap of 8 for Weapons so in the mid-range of what is possible with weapons and a fraction of what is possible with magic (about half).