Author Topic: Dexterity Powers  (Read 6221 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Dexterity Powers
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 01:52:37 AM »
False choices are bad design. If everyone who takes Power X wants/needs Stunt X, it's better to include Stunt X in Power X even if you have to increase the Refresh cost. It removes traps and makes the game more balanced.

That's like saying that anyone who takes Weapons as their Apex skill wants/needs footwork or high athletics and is, therefore a design flaw.  It has nothing to do with this power.  It has everything to do with the limitations on the Weapons skill.  I don't think that's bad design or lack of balance.  It's the inherent draw-back of being a melee character. And I think it was purposely designed that way so I would hesitate to just add it in.

I think that'll be the case no matter what we do, unfortunately. If you're "strong guy", there's no reason not to take Strength. If you're "weapon guy", there's no reason not to take this.

But if you're the strong guy, and you take A strength power, it doesn't help you dodge bullets either.  So why should the Melee guy be able to?  That's reserved for the Fast guy. So, you should definitely want to take this power if you're the Weapons guy because it should make you better at melee.  But you shouldn't take it because it also makes you untouchable at range.

Which would be a decent reason not to allow this Power no matter how well-written it is, in my opinion. And honestly none of the versions we have here are super-duper well-done.

Which is why you shouldn't stack parrying ranged on top of it.

How would you feel about using Weapons -1 for ranged defence?

Hmm...what about Inhuman @ -2; Supernatural @-1; Mythic @ weapons skill?
So it definitely worse than a Speed power and a guy with high athletics may still use athletics, even with this power...but a guy with crap athletics may still use the parry - especially at Supernatural and Mythic.

Also, Wings and Speed and a ranged attack is pretty amazing.

Yeah, I noticed that.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:27:09 AM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 03:58:49 AM »
The next point of balance is the true cap. For magic this is skill x 3 as you can add a skill and your lore twice with enough refresh. It is possible with a superb skill cap to have +15 accuracy.

On one hand, that never actually happens. The specialization pyramid is a harsh mistress.

On the other hand, there's Lawbreaker and Sponsored Magic.

That's like saying that anyone who takes Weapons as their Apex skill wants/needs footwork or high athletics and is, therefore a design flaw.

Nah. I'm fine with the choice between Footwork and a decent Athletics. Athletics is a core skill so it's allowed to be a bit mandatory, and at least there are one or two alternatives. (Though I think giving a ranged defence trapping to Guns might be a good idea, to encourage characters with diverse fighting skills. I also might let someone with a ballistic shield use Weapons against bullets. But I digress.)

But once you've got a Weapons defence roll of 7 or something, your Athletics is almost certainly gonna be lame by comparison.

But if you're the strong guy, and you take A strength power, it doesn't help you dodge bullets either.  So why should the Melee guy be able to?

He's not the Melee guy, he's the Weapons guy. Weapons is a ranged attack skill.

Anyway, blocking attacks is a core part of what Weapons does. So Weapons guy ought to be good at it, and have abilities related to it.

That's reserved for the Fast guy.

It really isn't. It's reserved for Fast guy, Crafter guy, bought-a-relevant-stunt guy, has-one-of-various-custom-Powers guy, and maybe sees-the-future guy if you allow OW powers.

Which is why you shouldn't stack parrying ranged on top of it.

No it isn't. Ranged parrying is part of the power even if it's not part of the power, since it's in a universally-available stunt and taking it is a no-brainer. Including a ranged parry in the power proper doesn't actually make the power stronger, assuming it replaces another similarly useful trapping.

Hmm...what about Inhuman @ -2; Supernatural @-1; Mythic @ weapons skill?
So it definitely worse than a Speed power and a guy with high athletics may still use athletics, even with this power...but a guy with crap athletics may still use the parry - especially at Supernatural and Mythic.

Could work. It's a bit clunky though.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 06:24:58 PM »
If we break down what each of the powers do, each has about 4 effects of similar power: (I've grouped recovery/toughness).  From looking at PirateJacks original take, it looks like he kind of broke it down like this.

Primary Effect
Strength gives +2/4/6 Damage
Speed gives +1/2/3 dodge
Toughness/recovery gives: 1/2/3 armour

Dexterity shouldn't give any of those benefits. Give it +1/2/3 accuracy instead.

Maybe instead of accuracy we could go for defence instead. That would put this power as basically Athletics-lite defence wise, and allow a bit more leeway in the secondary abilities it could give.

Secondary Effect
Strength gives +3/6/9 for lifting breaking
Speed gives +1/2/3 free zones for moving
Toughness/recovery gives + 2/4/6 stress boxes

Dexterity should give some equivalent. +1/2/3 for Weapons maneuvers (or maybe +2/4/6?)

Manoeuvres bonus works for me.

specific "situational" bonus
Strength: +1/2/3 damage/accuracy for grappling
Speed: +4 etc.. initiative bonuses
Toughness/recovery: long term recovery from consequences.

dexterity: Ambush 1/scene. ambush @+1; ambush @+2

In light of the different focus for the primary ability, I think a more offensive focus for this one would be more appropriate. Like Sanctaphrax's Spray-Zone-Selective Zone attacks.

Random Effect
Strength: Modifies: +1/2/3
Speed: Diffuculty factors for stealth drop by 2/4/never impedes
Toughness/recovery: Endurance never restricts.  No need to eat or sleep.

Dexterity: Quick Draw + Maybe can draw so quickly that they never parry at mediocre even when ambushed?
Or  Weapons never restricts...something to that effect.

I like the idea of this or the ambush ability filling the fourth slot, with the other being taken as a stunt. Ambush makes more sense as a power-based ability, while Weapons never restricting sounds like something an expert mortal swordsman would be able to do and would do better as a stunt.

So...

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I think I'm happy enough with these that I'd be willing to use them in my games.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 01:14:34 AM »
Okay, this is looking good, now to cover the other side of the equation. We kinda cut the power in half a couple of pages ago, so now why don't we do the actual Dexterity part of this.

In/Sup/Mythic Dexterity
Skills Affected: Burglary, Deceit, Performance, Scholarship.
Primary Effect: Manoeuvres with Performance are at +1/2/3
Secondary Effect: Lockpicking is done 2/4/6 time increments faster.
Situational Bonus: Attempting to hide a small object with Deceit with no penalties/+1/+2
Random Effect: You are competent enough to administer First Aid/Perform Surgery/Be a Neurosurgeon. Mild/Moderate/Severe consequences can begin healing.

This seems a bit rough and I'm thinking that the Deceit/Performance bonuses could be swapped around, giving Playing to an Audience a bonus and Deceit manoeuvres the +1/2/3.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 09:54:13 AM »
Eh, seems weak and scattered.

I have a hard time imagining a character who would want all of those bonuses enough to buy this Power.

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 05:35:12 PM »
Also, you don't need to be inhuman to do first aid (or surgery for that matter)...

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 06:34:08 PM »
Eh, seems weak and scattered.

I have a hard time imagining a character who would want all of those bonuses enough to buy this Power.

Which is why it's a first draft. I didn't want to step on the Swordsmanship power's toes so I focused it more along the lines of sleight of hand and nimble fingers. This power would be more focused at social characters rather than fighters. It is, in essence, a power that makes you very good with your hands.

Might be an idea to have a bonus to Guns in some way, instead of Performance manoeuvres. That would fit the sneaky thief archetype character quite well then, though the First Aid thing is probably not in keeping with it then.

Also, you don't need to be inhuman to do first aid (or surgery for that matter)...

You do need a stunt to start recovery though. This would effectively replace it by means of a steady hand.