Author Topic: Arting Harder at the Pen Monkey Toiling Pit (Celebrate Them Pages Pt III)  (Read 49395 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
133k - Falon II (13k for the day!)

The End!!!

So baring the brother telling me the ending doesn't work or that I need to add chapters (likely I suppose) that's a wrap on The Painting, Book 2 of the Witch Guard featuring our main Heroine Falon Rankin.

12k for yesterday and 13k for today equal a grand total of 25k in two days.  Its amazing what you can do when you get to the end of a book.  Know what you need to write to wrap it up and don't have any access to the internet or off line tv series you've been waiting for.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Congratulations on finishing your draft!
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Congratulations on finishing your draft!

Thanks Liz!  Falon II felt like it was taking forever to write and I just decided to sit down and finish it.  It feels good, I was afraid I was going to miss another deadline but instead, I came in under the wire with a few days to spare.  Still wish I could have finished it by march 1, but before april 1 is still a blessing!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
Well, my 22nd story for Battlecorps, "State of Grace" went live up on the Battlecorps website. Third story this year, and it's looking like a good year for me so far!  ;)

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
9k - Admiral Invincible (from the original 5.5k and what I've written over the past two days)

And here we go!  Here we go again!!!!  Time for the new writing project.  A writer's job is never done.

The Deposed King

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
124K tonight on The Sequel.  The home stretch!

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Yay! 125,000 words and the first draft of the Big Damn Sequel is finished!  It's rough. Some of it's good rough; mostly it's just rough rough.  Think I'll let it sit for a while (even though the urge to edit is strong) and work on finishing the first draft of my Urban Fantasy,  provisionally titled "Raising Angels", though I'm not sold on that title.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Congrats on the Big Damn Sequel done, Liz!

I'm standing at the top of the Big Hairy-Scary Bobsled Run to the bottom. wait, not ready... Back to fixing some thread clarifications and tie-ins between scenes...

Yeah, chickened out, but every time I come back to leaping into that Bobsled, I've got more details firmed up in my mind. It really is a win situation. And my excitement level is building.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Yeah Liz, really, way to go.   You are the woman!

Congrats,

The Deposed King

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Finished my initial web site design ideas last night. It's been months in the mind hopper and scribbled on napkins, phone message pads, and spiral ring stenographer's pad (my preferred hand note method.) Pretty f-ing cool. Now it's a matter of money and finding the right talent to take my stuff and tell me what will work, what won't, what they think will enhance, and then... can't wait. Won't be live until Dec 1st or so. Plenty of time. Not sure when my cover art will be finalized for Book I anyway, but from the other imprint authors, I'm getting comments that it will be later than I wish, but I'm at the point that I want it all now. Not a good publishing hat position. Months to go, Meg, months.

Writing front, book II needed more boost before the ride begins. So time well spent yesterday. Cranking up the tension on all fronts for ascending higher rocky mountain peaks before the ride down. So #amwriting. :-)

Best writing everyone!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Thanks! :)
This may well be a question for a new thread,  but...how do you go about finding cover artists anyway?  Advertise on CraigsList?

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
I don't think advertising on Craig's List would net you a good illustrator.
There was a discussion on some thread in this Forum about Illustrators
but I don't remember which one.
I think you'd do better to check with various writing groups or Forums
than Craig's List.
Sorry to not be of more help.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Well, I was joking about the CraigsList thing :) but I'm still curious about how one goes about finding reputable artists, how much they typically charge, and so on. (Actually, my older brother is a professional artist and a very good one, but whether I could actually get him to commit to creating something for me is the question.)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Well, I was joking about the CraigsList thing :) but I'm still curious about how one goes about finding reputable artists, how much they typically charge, and so on. (Actually, my older brother is a professional artist and a very good one, but whether I could actually get him to commit to creating something for me is the question.)

Deviant art has artists you can hire to do a cover for you.  As for me, me and well its mostly my brother, but anyway we hire different guys over here in the Philippines and get them to crank out covers for us.  Its cheaper than deviant anyways.

The Deposed King

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Deviant Art is one I've heard about in the past. Great artists. On the SCBWI site, you can find picture book artists. Some of them would probably take on a cover. Also, I found this on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/837698-book-cover-artists-illustrators  It seems to have several art portolio addresses. Google has a bunch of sites as well.

Cover art is a strange mix--it's not just the art, it's the placement of the name etc so there is an element of copy ad to it as well. I've sat in on SCBWI classes about authors reporting months of endless meetings that editors go through to find the perfect cover. Even Walmart and Barnes and Nobel can nix a cover during the process. Gives me a headache.

Goodreads also has an annual best cover awards. I found it fascinating to see what the genre readers liked and how they varied from other genres. Also it felt like I could get a sense of the way trends were headed in different genres.

I don't think I get any say in the matter, but I also assumed they wouldn't like my title and would pick there own. My publisher didn't like my title, but just waited for me to come up with a bunch more. I hate finding titles. I'm a nickname type of gal. Even my characters will often go for half the revision process with place names until something magically firms up in my mind. I even changed a main character's name during my first edit review. In fact, I changed two names...

Maybe if you narrow it down, you could post and we could help with a poll? It would be fun!