Author Topic: Fun Potion Ingredients  (Read 2794 times)

Offline william.cain

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Fun Potion Ingredients
« on: October 19, 2013, 12:57:43 AM »
I think we can all agree that Harry's potion ingredients are the best part of his potions, rather than the actual effects (though naked Harry and naked Ms. Rodriguez were very nice results). Sooo....

My wizard apprentice, Tyler Bryce, just game up with a new potion to give him more mental stamina in a protracted engagement. I give you, the Focusyn potion!

Ingredients: verbal exercise from a mental health book for sound, energy drink for taste, some no-distract fabric for touch, some finely ground glass powder from glasses for sight, peppermint for smell, and for mind - the episode from the simpsons where bart is on Focusyn to do better in school.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Potion Ingredients
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 01:23:10 AM »
If you look through the Potion pages on the wiki, you'll find a fair number of interesting ingredients.

I particularly like the spirit ingredient for the sleeping potion: "Set of 14 lecture CD’s on the subject of tax preparation".

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 06:56:37 AM »
Hmm, never saw that page before somehow - Sherlock in a Bottle in particular stands out for me.  :P

Magicpockets

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »
The True love potion seems kinda cheesy. Devalues the catch for WCVs to at least [+2].

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 01:00:36 PM »
I made a peace potion (dust meant to be thrown into the air covering a zone) involving a dove's feather, decaf coffee (for a base), the UN flag, a CD of chanting monks, a self-help book, a P.M. pain pill...I forget what else, we were giggling too much.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline nick012000

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 01:35:02 PM »
The True love potion seems kinda cheesy. Devalues the catch for WCVs to at least [+2].
I dunno. True Love has to be given willingly, and can't be magically coerced, right? Besides, if you're willing to do a little research and grave-robbing, acquiring a WCV-bane item isn't difficult. Just dig up the remains of a soldier who jumped onto a grenade for his friends.
Come visit Dark Side of the Moon, the new home to the Nasuverse fandom!

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:54:59 PM »
Kinda on topic. but GMs, if characters want to get exotic potions, make that part of the story.
You need Depleted Uranium, or Ivory, or whatever. You don't have any, but (contacts roll) you know a guy over here... blah blah blah Troll Pops out or Blah blah blah Get mugged

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »
Kinda on topic. but GMs, if characters want to get exotic potions, make that part of the story.
You need Depleted Uranium, or Ivory, or whatever. You don't have any, but (contacts roll) you know a guy over here... blah blah blah Troll Pops out or Blah blah blah Get mugged

Potion of swimming:  fish scales etc...

EVIL potion of swimming: dolphin fat and baby seal fur etc...

The latter might be harder to come by ;)

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 03:27:13 PM »
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 03:52:27 PM »
Ingredients: verbal exercise from a mental health book for sound, energy drink for taste, some no-distract fabric for touch, some finely ground glass powder from glasses for sight, peppermint for smell, and for mind - the episode from the simpsons where bart is on Focusyn to do better in school.
Isnt that missing a base and a Spirit ingredient?  Id recommend making the energy drink the Base and instead using some sort of uber-processed sugar candy for the Taste (pixie sticks or wonka hard candies or some such), and workout music or some such for the Focus element of the Spirit ingredient. Personally I find the non-physical ingredients the most interesting, like for sight he could use captured Light from a traffic light or Neon Sign (ie the giant neon sign pointing out the obvious). 

I had an alchemist character a while back, and one thing I did with him was create another potion-like magic that was intended for external/weapnized use instead of the purely internal nature potions that you drink.  I called them Tonics or Infusions or something, I cannot recall.  But they worked the same way as Potions, except the base wasnt always liquid, and instead of engaging the 5 Senses with the ingredients it engaged the 5 Elements (plus the Mind and Spirit as normal).  So for my character I used that formula for things that would be thrown, spread topically, or otherwise were intended for overt phsical effects instead of personal/internal changes as we've always seen for potions. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline ReaderAt2046

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 04:24:40 AM »

I once had this wizard who was trying to build a Thaumaturgic rite to blow up a local abortuary, and he made this potion-like paste to draw the circle in. I remember the ingredients included his own blood, the shredded flesh of a bunch of the abortuary's victims (retrieved from the dumpster in back), communion wine, and I think he might have gotten the blood of an Unseelie Lord as well. Epic stuff.