How do you feel about fanfic?

Love it!!
48 (41%)
Okay, I guess...
42 (35.9%)
Useless.
27 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: Fanfiction - Good or Evil?  (Read 40911 times)

Offline Fade

• Posty McPostington
  • TrottelTruppe #1
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfiction - Good or Evil?
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2007, 10:44:50 PM »
what type of fan fiction ? crazy hentai harry potter fan fiction or kind of normal fan fiction(there is no normal fan fiction )
Zerstören
Ich will ein guter Junge sein
Doch das Verlangen holt mich ein
Ich muss zerstören

Angst Ist Tod
Platypuses are sexy.

Offline Fade

• Posty McPostington
  • TrottelTruppe #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2007, 12:44:40 AM »
there are web sites with 1000's of stories of crap pure crap. I've read one story that i liked and that was Angelic Days. but it is true i guess there has to be some good ones (Unless someone sends them to me though its not worth it to look for it.)
Zerstören
Ich muss zerstören

Angst Ist Tod
Platypuses are sexy.

Offline DresdenStarSourceress

• Participant
  • Magic is the key to the realm of dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2007, 04:53:09 PM »
I luv fanfics because it lets the fans bring out a whole new side of their favorite books and etc. i read them and write them. 8)
Magic is the key to the spirit realm, wizards and sourcerers hold the mystery of ones soul but it's up to us to discover it.

Offline cbmurphy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2007, 08:06:30 PM »
Someone mentioned writing into a gaming world as fan fiction, which I wonder about.

I've taken gaming campaigns or ideas for them, and fleshed them out into a narrative either for the players benefit or to give myself an idea of what else might need to be in the game for the players to come across to make things  interesting.  I am thinking specifically of Classic Battletech in this regard, well before Stackpole  and FASA brought us the Clans, and  how absent a few sourcebooks how bare and wide open the universe appeared to be. 

One thing we took to doing was keeping the hell away from storied units, people, and neither I nor my friends ever got up the nerve to send in any of these stories to the Battletech magazine that was run for a while (what was it called, MechForce or BattleForce, something along those lines....).  I don't really see that as fan-fiction in the sense of taking established characters and a main storyline and writing around it.  Sort of like how some authors try to sell short stories or book treatments to WotC or whomever is responsible for D&D related novels and such. 

On the other hand, I have never gone looking for, nor do I have any desire to read, fan fiction related to novels, movies or television series that I have seen.  It just doesn't seem right to me, somehow.
Malt does more than Milton can, to justify God's ways to man.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2007, 09:29:16 PM »

One thing we took to doing was keeping the hell away from storied units, people, and neither I nor my friends ever got up the nerve to send in any of these stories to the Battletech magazine that was run for a while (what was it called, MechForce or BattleForce, something along those lines....). 

Battletechnology was the magazine you were thinking of. Me and a friend had some stuff published in the last issue they ever put out...

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Betty

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2007, 09:44:16 PM »
  I think some fan fan ficton sites are excellent. But I may be a little biased, for several years I belonged to my friend's fan fiction site. I wrote articles, stories,reviewed stories and even did a little editing as well. My friend expected quality, and rewrites of slated stories was the norm. So I guess it depends on which fan fiction site you visit and how talented and creative the writers there are.
Just when I learned all life's answers, they changed all the questions.

Offline Fade

• Posty McPostington
  • TrottelTruppe #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2007, 01:26:07 AM »
im sorry if i offend you... but i have never gone on a website with fan fiction and left happy :-\

it sucks...honestly sucks
Zerstören
Ich muss zerstören

Angst Ist Tod
Platypuses are sexy.

Offline Sil76

• Participant
  • Self-Confessed Book Devourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2007, 03:26:30 AM »
Good sites are hard to find; a lot of the really good ones (quality fic & friendly atmosphere) are often specific to a single fandom.
Don't bother with ff.net, they have no standards; if slash isn't your thing, the field of available quality sites is even narrower.
Open Scrolls (scribeoz.com) is good (and all het), and just opened up from an LotR-only to multi-fandom (including Firefly, DrWho and other v. good shows); they are open to new writers but have standards, and guests can read all but the NC17 stuff ;D
Darned tired.  Darn me unto heck.

Offline Maiafay

• Participant
  • Nitpicker...and snarky wench
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2007, 03:28:42 AM »
im sorry if i offend you... but i have never gone on a website with fan fiction and left happy :-\

it sucks...honestly sucks

Then maybe you are browsing in the wrong categories? I don't think my stories particularly suck...and I've been told they are well-written--barring a few typos here and there. I have no idea where you are looking or what fandoms you're browsing, but there are good stories out there. 
Fantasy Art that ain't half bad: Deviant Art
Fanfiction that's coherent! My Writing

Offline Maiafay

• Participant
  • Nitpicker...and snarky wench
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2007, 03:30:09 AM »
Good sites are hard to find; a lot of the really good ones (quality fic & friendly atmosphere) are often specific to a single fandom.
Don't bother with ff.net, they have no standards; if slash isn't your thing, the field of available quality sites is even narrower.
Open Scrolls (scribeoz.com) is good (and all het), and just opened up from an LotR-only to multi-fandom (including Firefly, DrWho and other v. good shows); they are open to new writers but have standards, and guests can read all but the NC17 stuff ;D

FF.net may not have standards...but you can find some of the best plot-driven stories there...you just have to look.
Fantasy Art that ain't half bad: Deviant Art
Fanfiction that's coherent! My Writing

Offline Sil76

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2007, 03:54:05 AM »
Oh, I'm not saying there's nothing good on ff.net - heck, some of my older stuff is in there somewhere  ;D  It's just really quite a process, dredging through the muck to find the good stuff.  Naturally, once you spot a decent author, you read their stuff, you follow their recommendations to other decent stuff and so on...  And if you're really lucky, somewhere along the way you find another handful of sites that aren't a free for all.  Less muck is good. ;D
And, incidentally, the trudge is twice as difficult if one is looking for decent het fanfic...  Oh, the gallons and gallons of bleach my poor eyes required before I found the smaller sites I now frequent! ;)

Offline Fade

• Posty McPostington
  • TrottelTruppe #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2007, 11:49:45 AM »
het????
Zerstören
Ich muss zerstören

Angst Ist Tod
Platypuses are sexy.

Offline Sil76

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2007, 12:37:02 PM »
non-slash...  to be most accurate, sticking to cannon-accurate sexual orientation of characters; in other words, if the characters in a pairing are straight in the original work, they are straight in the fanfic.

In general, het sites are 'het-only' sites, mostly because the majority of mixed sites (like ff.net) are slash-heavy, and there are proportionally very few het-heavy sites, especially those that welcome NC17 material.

Nothing wrong with slash, it's all a matter of opinion.  Nothing wrong with bi or gay characters either, mind you, but in the case of fanfic, only when the original author intended it that way -- it's part of respecting the original work.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2007, 07:25:20 PM »
In anime fanfiction, stories with explict sex are called 'Lemons'. Stories that have sexual situations but no details are called 'Limes'. M/M parings are Yaoi, F/F parings are Yuri.

Strange how different areas develop their own lingo......

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Sil76

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2007, 11:50:43 PM »
 ;D