How do you feel about fanfic?

Love it!!
48 (41%)
Okay, I guess...
42 (35.9%)
Useless.
27 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: Fanfiction - Good or Evil?  (Read 40492 times)

Offline Sil76

• Participant
  • Self-Confessed Book Devourer
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfiction - Good or Evil?
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2007, 05:08:46 AM »
I've done both fanfic and original work, and I'm an avid reader of published fiction and a very very selective reader of fanfic in a few chosen fandoms. 
I agree that there is some very bad fanfic out there, as well as some absolute gems - sadly, there is a lot of muck to shovel through to find those prizes, and it is easy to see why fanfic gets a bad wrap as a whole because of it.
I can tell you that fanfic helped break me out of a very long period of writer's block; I agree that it can be very valuable exercise in the art of putting together imagination and the written word, as well as the grace to accept constructive criticism along with praise (and indifference :-\) once one drags up the confidence to show it.
When I write fanfic, I enjoy the challenge and the shortcuts that a pre-existing world entails; I find it useful to take new interactions and situations and get feedback on them from fellow fanficcers; I find it pleasant to be able to commiserate with others who like to read and write, and share a particular world we are already fond of.  Writing is a lonely sort of vocation, each piece a labor of individual isolated effort -- with fanfic, well, there is the small comfort that others are right there suffering with you!  ;D 
As to what I'd feel if someone fanficced an original work of mine (assuming I manage to publish someday), well, I'd be flattered that something I wrote was 'alive' enough to jog someone's muse into action.  :)  But at the same time, I understand why anyone would cringe, given some of the results...  Oh the many bottles of bleach my poor eyes have needed over the years!  Often the trick is to find a decent archive with a quality control policy; it can make a potentially painful search much more pleasant!:)

Hmmm... ok, so .02c turned into $1.20...  professional deformation?  ;)

Sil
Darned tired.  Darn me unto heck.

Offline buckarama

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2007, 03:31:55 PM »
Fan fic is like when you try to play some one else's song for the first time. Doesn't sound good that's why you do it in the basement away from everyone. The trouble is with everyone writing Fanfic, and posting it somewhere, it's like turning up your guitar's amp to to eleven. (You know what I mean)
Fan fic is fine as a learning tool, just don't expect me to read it, or listen to your guitar playing. :)

Offline *Lady Disappearing Act *

• Posty McPostington
  • don't you use those ellipses on me
    • View Profile
    • Upstairs Productions
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2007, 02:43:53 AM »
the problem i have with fanfic, whenever i've been inspired to look for it, is the same problem i have with any group of highly excited people - some of them are Crazy People, a lot of them are just over excited, and maybe two of them have something interesting to contribute. 
unless you can write your own stuff, i would stay out of the realms of fanfic. 
that being said, go write fanfic!  write away, USE those characters like puppets, and then, as someone else said, HIDE IT FOREVER.
i was there for the first International Rasputin Day

You should be watching Break a Leg

Offline Kaos Wizard

• Conversationalist
  • Keep an open mind and it'll get wet when it rains
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2007, 04:26:07 AM »
I used to shudder at the thought of Fanfic for a very long time. Just for kicks while I was at work the other night I went looking for some Dresden Fanfic. Man Harry Dresden vs. Harry Potter...made my eyes want to bleed. However, that isn't to say that Fanfic dosn't have it's purposes. I agree that it can be a great way for writers to get some practice. I write for a Star Trek RPG which is basically just a whole bunch of on-going fanfic. I get a lot of fun out of it because of the group of writers/role players I work with. Also we all make original characters, so we don't have a whole bunch of Kirks running around. Also, writing for that RPG has helped me get back into my own writing, by allowing me to flex my creative muscles. Writing for that RPG has been a great way for me to break through my writers block on a number of occasions. And I'll admit it that I've written a couple of little stories in the Dresdenverse just to get some practice at writing in the first person. I've never been big on that, usually can't even stand reading it, but Jim's style has really made me want to reconsider my stance on first person narratives. Fanfic helped to keep the Star Trek franchise alive after The Original Series was cancelled, and even now it's serving some of that same purpose.

The problem I see with Fanfic is that most who write it aren't looking to improve their craft. They aren't trying to get practice. In fact most use it as an excuse to take short cuts. They use familar characters so that they don't have to worry as much about character development and heavy character descriptions. Heck most fanfic writers don't even get the characterizations right. They just want to play in the sandbox. It's a chance for some wish or fantasy fullfillment (How many Buffy and Faith love stories are out on the webs right now?). Which wouldn't be such a big problem if they were keeping it to themselves. The internet has put an end to that though.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2007, 02:20:26 PM »
I write fanfic because (as I've said earlier) there's some question that the actual story sparked in my head.  Some loose end that wasn't neatly tied up or was just brushed off by the author will nudge at my creative side until I write a story to tie things up the way I think they should have been done.

Admittedly, I did write one and a half fics that weren't for that purpose but they were written as follow-ups to a fic that *did* serve that purpose, so I think they count. ;)

Oh, and I did write one Stargate fic that was just to be funny.  Humor's always fair game, I feel.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline bugdog

• Participant
  • You never need a pistol until you need one badly
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2007, 02:52:44 PM »
Way back in the olden days, before the Internets, I wrote Duran Duran "fan fic". I was 14. (where's the embarrassed emoticon when you need it?) There were about 10 of us who wrote and exchanged stories back in junior high school ('83-84). It's the sort of thing that I wouldn't discuss in therapy, frankly. Not sure why I'm sharing it now, but there it is. I moved from Duran Duran stories to what they call Real Person Stories, but eventually I figured out that was just kind of creepy and quit that, too.

So, yeah, cut to the year the X-Files came out ('93). That was when I found out that there was such a thing as fan fic and that *gasp* our group of junior high students wasn't actually doing something original. Heh. I belonged to a mailing list that had some ok fan fic, but I wasn't writing anything sharable. I had tons of ideas, but nothing I felt like putting to paper.

Then came Gladiator and Russell Crowe. Oh my dear and fluffy lord, that got me writing. I fell in with a group of women who had beta testers and cared that what they wrote made a certain sense. They had their own little universe where characters from Crowe's movies existed outside of their own worlds. Something about that caught my attention and I wrote like mad for about six months, I think, and I actually shared it with this group - the first time in over 10 years anyone else had read what I'd written. Then I just stopped writing. Stopped cold. I guess I was partially tired of explaining what I was "banging away at" to my husband and something else, but I don't know what. Maybe it was Everquest... That seems pretty likely. That group still writes and what they write is not only readable, but it's usually really good. I still read a lot of their stuff, too, and it's still better written than 99% of what's out there.

Anyway, I still occasionally get an idea for some sort of original story - I get about 8 or 9 pages into it and stop. I lean heavily towards writing romance type stuff, even though that's only about 1/3rd of what I read anymore, because I find it easy (to a point).

So I guess I'm in favor of fanfic to an extent. The crazy people, though, they bug me...

Offline Maiafay

• Participant
  • Nitpicker...and snarky wench
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2007, 11:58:33 PM »
I unabashedly write fanfic.

Yes, I do. While I tend to stay away from novels...books, I write for Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and anything non-book orientated. I had a temptation to write a Laurell K. Hamilton story...simply over disgruntlement with what she's doing currently with her series--but since refrained because explicitly whined asked for people not to do that. I do know Joss Whedon loves fanfic, and even used some lines from such in his shows. JK Rowling frowns on adult fanfic (those available to minors only), but really has no problem with it in general.

I will also give insight into this muddly little world when it concerns OC's (original characters) and the current battle between good OC's and Mary Sues.

Mary Sues, aka MS, are those characters that are self insertions of the author, gleaming paragons of characters that make canon characters (those that are the original creators creation.) weep for joy whenever they enter the prose. Typically, people who read fanfiction and are nuts about 'canon' (the original world, characters, rules etc.) will groan and gag in dismay when Mary Sue/Gary Stu comes aboard, and have made their own rules and even a multiple answer test to determine if your OC is a Sue. The trend now (since so many many young would be authors dip their grubby hands into fandoms like LOTR, Harry Potter, and Anime especially), is to shove all original characters of an author to the background, and they must NEVER outshine the canon characters in the story. They must not be pretty, have powers, be related to any canon character, have sex with the canon character (ohhh, big no-no!), and basically be interesting in any way. As a writer who frequently injects OC's (since I really want to break away from fandom eventually...), I must now deal with OC haters who want to slap a Mary Sue label on any character that they come across.

I think I digressed a bit here, but it's only because I've had to deal with these little elitists and their "rules" (silly when you think about it--we already are painting over a painted canvas...) when I placed a OC at center stage of a Silent Hill fic. Despite the fact I've had people who have NEVER played the game interested in the game...because they've read my story. I had one reviewer who said she was disappointed because she realized that my OC wasn't present in the games. I've had the same with my Resident Evil fics...I've made Capcom some money from the folks who said they would buy the game now after reading my story. While I'm not tooting my own horn and saying Capcom should thank me (because that's silly), these are the benefits of fanfic. I can't tell you the fandoms I became interested in because of fanfic. Some anime I went out and rented because of a fan story; I've also bought movies from fanfic, and books as well.  I've seen many reviewers on other well-written fanfic that say they are running out and buying the books, movies, games, because they were so smitten by the story.

Granted, you have to wade through a ton of crummy tales to find the gems...but I believe fanfic is really harmless. I use it as practice...to see what people think of my style and plots--and to smush a plot bunny that may be currently bouncing through my head. I have learned a lot with grammar, spellings, and general style by writing this practice stories. While some people are dead set against it...I can tell you, if I EVER become published, and/or have a series interesting enough to warrant folks writing fanfiction, I would go by said sites just to pay them a visit--give some pointers, shake my head over bad characterization, etc. I wouldn't freak over it or steal fans ideas like I've heard some authors have done. I would encourage that they find their own stories and their own voice...but I wouldn't condemn them for playing in my sandbox.   
Fantasy Art that ain't half bad: Deviant Art
Fanfiction that's coherent! My Writing

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2007, 03:58:30 PM »
There are some forms of fanfiction out there that don't need to use established characters to have great stories. I can't speak for Silent Hill, but I write stories based in the Battletech Universe.

The background for Battletech is so expansive, with hundreds of planets, a dozen major and minor factions to chose from, and a detailed history that can be the backdrop for so many different stories. There is no need to use any established charcters for the story to fit into the universe. I have written over a dozen stories, none of which have used an established BT character. I draw from the background, frame the story so it fits into the universe, and imerse my characters in the rich history. And all without contradiction a single canon storyline.

Stories like this are a step closer to original fiction -- the characters are yours completely, and even some of the events are yours. But the universe building has been done, and exposure to it will gave you an idea of how much goes into such an undertaking.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Maiafay

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2007, 06:47:18 PM »
There are some forms of fanfiction out there that don't need to use established characters to have great stories. I can't speak for Silent Hill, but I write stories based in the Battletech Universe.

The background for Battletech is so expansive, with hundreds of planets, a dozen major and minor factions to chose from, and a detailed history that can be the backdrop for so many different stories. There is no need to use any established charcters for the story to fit into the universe. I have written over a dozen stories, none of which have used an established BT character. I draw from the background, frame the story so it fits into the universe, and imerse my characters in the rich history. And all without contradiction a single canon storyline.

Stories like this are a step closer to original fiction -- the characters are yours completely, and even some of the events are yours. But the universe building has been done, and exposure to it will gave you an idea of how much goes into such an undertaking.

Craig

Yeah, Silent hill you can pretty much do the same thing, but I added some canon characters to generate interest. The tricky part is to make sure all characters relate properly and behave as if they were in the game. Pain in the butt....makes me want to do my own original work! LOL!

Offline ButMadNNW

• Conversationalist
  • Trilling the Wire in the Blood (& some psych.)
    • View Profile
    • The Ladies of the Shadow Gallery
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2007, 10:48:09 PM »
First let me state that I have always written original stuff (Mom still has a "book" I wrote when I was 7 or so). Very few things have been completed; a lot of ideas faded away and died out after an intial excitement phase.

In college, I was deep into Highlander: The Series, and no one else I knew was. I found kindred spirits online - probably the first online community of which I was an active member. I discovered fanfic, but I thought I'd never write any (I thought it was presumptuous to impose oneself on another's world). However, some of the people on the HL board were really good writers, and I enjoyed some of their stories; other stories, it was a struggle to find anything nice to say. After I'd spent enough time obsessing over Methos (my favorite character), studying him and the "rules" of the HL universe, discussing the show, and reading some fanfic, I got an idea that wouldn't go away. And so I wrote a fanfic. That was almost nine years ago, IIRC, when I was 19.

The main character was an extension of myself, because I wanted to go into that universe and play (I didn't know at the time self-insertion was a no-no, and still don't care, to this day; she was my stand-in to start, and grew into her own character). There was no sex involved. Very few of Methos's 5000 years of life have been detailed, so there were a lot of lovely blank spots to play in without overtly breaking universe rules/canon. I stuck to the two existing characters I knew best: Methos and Joe, with guest starring roles from characters I felt I had a pretty good feel for. The major deviation I wrote in was a reincarnation plot - something HL never included.

And yes, I posted the story on my now defunct website. If nothing else, that story holds the distinction of the first longish story I actually brought to a conclusion. ... I enjoyed writing it and amused myself, but didn't think it was that great (but I never like anything I write). I got a lot of lovely, positive comments on it (three in particular still stand out in my mind, but I'll spare you). Many people thought I had a good sense of the characterizations of those existing characters I used. Several people suggested I submit the story for publication - but that is the line I would never cross - I was fully aware I was playing with someone else's toys. (I did start a sequel, but it died.)

However, though I would never submit that story, there was enough interest in it and I liked the plot enough that I started trying to think of a way to adapt the story using my own characters. About four years later, an entirely new character (outside any existing universe, with some new "rules" I don't remember ever having seen before) walked into my head and I'm currently wrestling with him, trying to develop his story into something I can submit for publication. If not for that HL fanfic, he wouldn't exist; so writing the fanfic WAS a positive thing for me.

Soon after I'd written my own fanfic, I got tired of digging through all the drek to find the few fanfics I could stand to read, so I just stopped looking. The typos, bad grammar, overly self-indulgent writing, universe-rule-breaking... I couldn't stand it - if you're going to play in someone else's universe, you need to follow their rules as near as possible, IMNSHO. And I HATE slash - to me, that is the ultimate in disrepectful, canon-twisting rule-breaking. .... However, fanfic as an entity is not going away. People inclined to write have always done it, will always do it. There is some good stuff out there, but I have neither the time nor energy to look for it, so my solution is simply ignore it. If I ever manage to get published, I will make it publicly known that I'd really rather fans stay away from slash (if I want my main character to have same-sex relationships, I'll write that; but if I write him straight, I'd rather the fans respect that); but other than that, I'll probably adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Because I have to feel like I have a firm grasp of the universe and its characters before I would dare to write in it (and I have to have an idea that won't go away), the only other fanfic I've written and shown to people was a tiny, two-page piece that filled in a gap in the film V for Vendetta - I simply described something that logic dictates did happen, but it wasn't shown in the movie. The board I currently Admin liked it and wants me to write more, but I can't - there's not enough playspace/wiggle room in the universe; HL was big enough, V4V isn't. (The only exception I'd possibly make would be to rewrite the movie novelization - I used to love reading novelizations, but I know too much now, and that officially licensed, published book was just horrid.) I also haven't read any of the V4V fanfic my board members have created, except for the pieces written by a writer friend who is *this close* to getting her original novel published (same friend loved my little fill-in and praised me for sticking to the rules of the V-verse). ... I'm so judgmental of others' fanfic, I'd just rather stay away from it altogether.

More recently, I dug out that old HL fanfic to share with a couple people on my board and read it myself for the first time in years. Looking at it now, with a B.A. in English-Creative Writing under my belt, I had to laugh at myself and how proud I was of that piece. There are still some passages that I read as someone else's writing ("I can't have written that - it's too good."), but I can see how my writing has evolved since then and how inexperienced I was. I even, to my chagrin, found some typos! :D

Wow. Sorry I went on so long. To sum up: Fanfic can sometimes have a purpose and some of it can be quite good, but there's too much simply BAD writing out there for me to bother looking for what's worth reading. It's not going away, so I'd rather ignore it than fight it. As long as they're not trying to make money off it and are acknowledging that they're playing with someone else's toys, I'm okay.
"I am but mad north-northwest..." ~ Hamlet
"Words will always retain their power." ~ V
"The bag is really devoid of cats!" ~ Harry
"As to errors of opinion, though I am not yet convinced of any, yet I nowhere pretend to infallibility." ~ Daniel Defoe

Offline Maiafay

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2007, 04:37:34 PM »
The only thing I will say...is I like slash, but only when done well, and IC. Which brings me to non-con, and basically darker stories. I'm not apologizing for liking slash or fanfiction, and I'm getting a slight vibe that I should be doing so...but I'm won't.

To each their own. While I'm using it as a stepping stone, getting my mistakes and style ironed out, others may say I should do it with orignial works. Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree, and leave it at that. 

Offline milesje

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2007, 06:55:19 PM »
Like most people I have both read and written a few fanfics myself. I have found some that I really like and many more that were just bad.  But, if used correctly it can be a great help for may budding writers to get there feet wet, and explore there style of writing without having to worry about developing characters and a world to place them in.  Most fanfics that I have written where based in the world of the original author but developed my own characters because I am much better a character development than at world development.  I have now started a new story and I am creating my own world, but because I have written some fanfics I feel more comfortable about creating my own place now. But on the flip side many people can become fanatics about what they think is great, and it be nothing but unimaginative crap that no one in the right mind would enjoy reading. These people are the reason many authors do not like fanfics.  It is the few (or many) bad apples that make the world difficult for the rest of us.

Offline Nemo

• Conversationalist
  • International Wizard of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2007, 02:21:32 AM »
For me, most fanfic is pure crap.  I can say that because I used to write crap, and know it when I have the misfortune of coming across it.

That being said, if you are going to write it then follow these rules:
1.  Use secondary characters that never get fully developed
2.  Avoid slash unless you want to die a firy death
3.  Show it off for about a week, then burn it
4.  Afterwards, never write any more fanfic
"Harry, even a nerd should know that it's no coincidence when a girl shows up at a man's hotel room.  You know all she really wants is to--" ~ Bob

Offline Maiafay

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2007, 03:21:33 AM »
For me, most fanfic is pure crap.  I can say that because I used to write crap, and know it when I have the misfortune of coming across it.

That being said, if you are going to write it then follow these rules:
1.  Use secondary characters that never get fully developed
2.  Avoid slash unless you want to die a firy death
3.  Show it off for about a week, then burn it
4.  Afterwards, never write any more fanfic

Not to be mean...but all because you used to write crap...doesn't mean everyone does. I don't consider my work crap, and neither do the folks that read it. I've seen stories that actually outdo the original author, and can tell the writer will probably be published someday. I've read authors that dabbled in fanfic at one point of time. However, I did see you said "most" fanfic...which is why I'm not "really' ranting. But...

1. Secondary characters are very developed in my work...in fact, I revised a story to flesh out all OC secondary characters MORE than what I had.
2. Slash is an acquired taste...not everyone likes it--but many do. As long as it's handled well...and realistic, then I have no issue with it--and prefer it.
3. As for showing it off--been showing it off for around two years now...and learned a lot from reviewers and constructive feedback.
4. Maybe, maybe not...depends if I ever get published. If I do...then I'll have that to occupy my time instead of stomping across another's Sandbox. Till then however...

I'm assuming you're joking...but if you aren't...then you haven't looked hard enough through the crap to find the gems.

Offline Nemo

• Conversationalist
  • International Wizard of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2007, 04:37:03 AM »
I'm assuming you're joking...but if you aren't...then you haven't looked hard enough through the crap to find the gems.

In part, yes I am joking.  I have found a couple of gems, but not many.  Therefore, I haven't been looking.  If somebody asks me to read their work, I will out of courtesy and give an honest critique.  I always try to be constructive and not negative.

My statement about having written crap and knowing it when I see it is kind of an inside joke about movie critic Roger Ebert.  He wrote the script for Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, which he admits was pure crap.  As a result, he knows crap when he sees it.

I must also admit that I have a special loathing for Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings fanfiction.  My ex-wife spent twelve hours a day reading and writing both.  I was subjected to a lot of very bad fanfic.  When I began looking for good fanfic, I found very little. 
"Harry, even a nerd should know that it's no coincidence when a girl shows up at a man's hotel room.  You know all she really wants is to--" ~ Bob