Author Topic: Lacuna's true nature (theory) [CD Spoilers]  (Read 26811 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: Lacuna's true nature (theory) [CD Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »
While I love the notion that Lucuna is a tooth fairy, I'm sticking with my gut feeling that Lacuna was force fed by Ace, as Ace was trying to duplicate Harry's guard.  Lacuna thinks the pizza made her bigger, which from Toot, we understand is considered a bad thing.

Much like being fat.

First I'll admit that the below doesn't necessarily reflect on what Lacuna "thinks."  Heck Toot thinks washing himself will cause him to shrink like a wool sweater.  But I thought I'd quote it because it explains what is actually causing the Toot's growth.

Quote from: 2009 lexington signing
Q:  How big will Toot get?
A:  Depends on how much influence he has in the world.  That’s how the sidhe gain their size and power.  Mab wasn’t always as big as she is now.

Quote from: 2010 Bitten by Books Q&A:
#150 Is Toot-toot’s increase in size due to his actions, or the title and followers he has acquired doing Harry’s bidding?”
It’s due to /Harry’s/ actions, mostly. Toot done hitched his star to Harry’s wagon. As a result, he’s taken actions he never would have taken on his own, some of which had major consequences. Toot has effectively become a much more powerful being than he was as an independent dewdrop faerie. The physical growth is a reflection of that fact.
I mean gosh, where do you think the Sidhe came from in the first place?
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »
Quote from: 2009 lexington signing

Q:  How big will Toot get?
    A:  Depends on how much influence he has in the world.  That’s how the sidhe gain their size and power.  Mab wasn’t always as big as she is now.

Quote from: 2010 Bitten by Books Q&A:

#150 Is Toot-toot’s increase in size due to his actions, or the title and followers he has acquired doing Harry’s bidding?”
    It’s due to /Harry’s/ actions, mostly. Toot done hitched his star to Harry’s wagon. As a result, he’s taken actions he never would have taken on his own, some of which had major consequences. Toot has effectively become a much more powerful being than he was as an independent dewdrop faerie. The physical growth is a reflection of that fact.
    I mean gosh, where do you think the Sidhe came from in the first place?

I hope this isn't hijacking the topic, but doesn't that WOJ contradict just a bit of what Mab said in CDs?  The hint that she was once human?  Here Jim seems to be saying that Mab might have been a dew drop fairy at one time..  Or most likely she was a changeling, thus half human and chose?  So implications for Molly, I still think she is a changeling or she couldn't have become one of the queens.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
I hope this isn't hijacking the topic, but doesn't that WOJ contradict just a bit of what Mab said in CDs?  The hint that she was once human?  Here Jim seems to be saying that Mab might have been a dew drop fairy at one time..  Or most likely she was a changeling, thus half human and chose?  So implications for Molly, I still think she is a changeling or she couldn't have become one of the queens.
Thats a strange and twisted topic.  From the books Ive always been under the impression that "Sidhe" referred to a specific race/breed of relatively humanoid Fae, and that they happened to be the ruling class of the Courts.  But there are recent WOJ's that define it as the top echelon of /any/ of the various fae races; so by that definition Sith, Erl, and the Reaper were all sidhe, even though they were a Maulk, a Goblin, and a Fetch, respectively.  So by that definition Toot could become a Sidhe if he gained sufficient power, regardless of his origins. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Thats a strange and twisted topic.  From the books Ive always been under the impression that "Sidhe" referred to a specific race/breed of relatively humanoid Fae, and that they happened to be the ruling class of the Courts.  But there are recent WOJ's that define it as the top echelon of /any/ of the various fae races; so by that definition Sith, Erl, and the Reaper were all sidhe, even though they were a Maulk, a Goblin, and a Fetch, respectively.  So by that definition Toot could become a Sidhe if he gained sufficient power, regardless of his origins. 
  Though after Maeve is killed and Harry confronts Mab, she admits to having been human once, or at least having human emotions... So she couldn't have started out as a dew drop fairy.   Though she could have been a changeling, thus at least half human before she became Winter Lady, this must be true for Titania as well because the implication is that she and Mab are indeed sisters, or did I read that wrong?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 02:42:02 PM »
Your missing my point.  MAB may have been a changeling/Human before she became a fae, but that doesnt mean all of them are, or that all the fae that reach the level of sidhe have followed that path.  Sith is a Malk Sidhe, but I doubt he was ever human.  Same goes for the a number of the more un-anthropomorphized fae races, like the rawhead. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »
  Though after Maeve is killed and Harry confronts Mab, she admits to having been human once, or at least having human emotions... So she couldn't have started out as a dew drop fairy.   Though she could have been a changeling, thus at least half human before she became Winter Lady, this must be true for Titania as well because the implication is that she and Mab are indeed sisters, or did I read that wrong?

Yah this is an odd issue that has some realatively odd implications.  Notice also that Jim has said that all fae are at least partially mortal:

Quote from: WoJ
Exactly what are the Outsiders?  Are they like the fae, or are they something else entirely?
They are something else entirely.  All the fae are part mortal.  There is some bit of mortal in every single one of the fae.  The Outsiders are something that comes from way beyond that.  Their more the generic Hellboy fangs and tentacles croud. 

And to muddy things up even more, Jim implied... Hmmm by my interpretation he implied that the being that wears the Santa Clause mantle is only fae when he is fulfilling that roll/wearing that mantle. 

Is Kringle Fae?

Quote from: WoJ, 2013 KC signing
Is Kringle Fae? His mantle, yes, is part of the Winter Court. Which does not necessarily mean that he himself is Fae as much as the fact that his mantle is. While he’s there, he’s got to pay deference to Mab. If Mab gives him a command, he has to obey it. Mab’s too smart to throw him many commands, it’s much smarter to just let him do his thing. Because it’s this mysterious Christmas-y stuff anyway, cheer and goodwill, whatever. She supposes it’s good to have somebody like that for PR. That at times could be useful. It’s like, oh, so, Winter Court, whole season of death, evil, but then it’s like,  yeah, Christmas! Oh, wow, yeah, you’re right. It’s like the schools are trying to buy the tobacco company. **unintelligible** It’s something of the same thing. And besides which, if she doesn’t give him a bunch of orders and stuff, then basically, when she does go to him and say, “I need to know something”, that really, what can you do, this is our game of give-and-take. So, in a way, it’s not really a subservient relationship, Mab’s too smart for it to be that.

We also have this from the recent KC signing transcript:
Quote from: WoJ
The other question I had is, **unintelligible**…when a human takes on the mantle of a Fae, do they automatically become Fae? Do they lose their soul?

Ok, do they automatically become Fae, do they lose their soul? The answer to that question is “sort of”. Um, it’s automatic, but not necessarily instant. Mab herself was human once, and she eventually became the, uh, the fun-loving Mab that we all know. So, a lot of it has to do with who you are when you go into it, because most of the Fae were human once. A lot were born as half-bloods and decided to become Fae and sort of automatically got their **unintelligible**. But a lot of the other Fae who were there, including the Erl and several others, who were at one point humans….So, a lot of this is going to depend on who they  might end up being, a lot of it depends on who they are going into it and what kind of will they have to maintain who they are. That’s going to be a big deal. I’m really looking forward to writing the next books so I can see what happens with Molly, ‘cause I’m really not sure yet, I have a vague idea of what’s gonna happen, because basically she just got handed the largest, unruliest crowd of little brothers and sisters to deal with ever.

**Audience laughter**

But on the other hand, she’s kinda cool with that. She’s used to that role. So anyway, we’ll have to see what happens to her, but, uh, there’s a lot of choice involved **unintelligible** as far as soul goes. Everybody always talks about souls as if it’s something you can have a receipt for, that if you lose it, then it’s just gone, and I don’t think souls work that way, I think that there’s too much attached to them, I think that there are too many things that consist of what your soul is, so I don’t think this is kinda trying to figure “did you lose your soul?”, because I think you can lose your soul without bothering to stop by any kind of supernatural beings whatsoever. You know, if you watch the news, you’ll see people who do that all the time. But yeah, as far as The Dresden Files goes, as far as eternal damnation, etc., goes, no I don’t think that’s as much an issue for Molly as yet, it could sometime though. Whether Mab has some kind of spark of a soul left or not, that’s one of those questions that would be very difficult to answer, and I’m probably not smart enough to answer it. Probably, when you’ve gone so far down the road, just pure power is madness, it’s hard to hang on to your soul. And it depends on how people who have been handed all this extra stuff deal with it, and what that’s going to do for them in the long run. And it’s one of those long run kind of things, meaning you’re going to be stuck like that for 2,000 years, you don’t really have to go bad tomorrow, you have plenty of time yet to start growing mold on your conscience.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »
I seem to recall someone mentioning at some time that perhaps Pizza is an addiction to the dewdrop faries.

If that's the case, does that make Harry the leader of a drug addicted army?  Harry's a pusher?

Wouldn't that just be Harry's luck?!

Za' Lord's Guard = Bunch of druggies being strung out to do Harry's will.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 03:51:23 PM »

No disrespect, because I understand why he is doing it, but Jim seems to very vague and CHAing, to give himself more wiggle room as the series develops..  If the various rules for various creatures were too inflexible, it would ruin some rather dramatic moments..    Like the Sidhi and human emotion..   Supposedly they don't understand human emotions because they are not human.. Yet, Mab admitted to being once long ago and feeling grief for her daughter... One wonders is Titania more human?  Because she appeared to be out of her head with real grief for her daughter.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 03:55:25 PM »
I seem to recall someone mentioning at some time that perhaps Pizza is an addiction to the dewdrop faries.

I think that was me too.

Realising that for the last however many books he has been addicting a bunch of dewdrop fairies is exactly the sort of interesting direction of tormenting I can see Jim doing to Harry.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 04:15:43 PM »
  Though after Maeve is killed and Harry confronts Mab, she admits to having been human once,

Point of clarification: Didn't Mab say she was mortal once, not human

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
Re: Lacuna's true nature
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 06:37:57 PM »
Out of curiosity, wouldn't the use of junk food accelerate the number of teeth that were falling out, thereby increasing the number of trades (and level of influence) the Faerie had across the board?

I'm a little more inclined to think that if Lacuna was a 'tooth' faerie, she'd want more teeth. Of course it's also possible that Sanya is correct, and Lacuna doesn't want the junk food because it's heavily addictive stuff (she seems to pride herself on her capabilities and knowledge).

Hah! The other day one of my 4 year olds said, "If you don't brush your teeth, they'll fall out, and the tooth fairy will come and give you money for them!!!"

I realized this was a dangerous idea. So I explained the tooth fairy only pays for clean, shiny teeth. The more sparkly the teeth, the more money the tooth fairy will leave. Crisis averted, I hope!
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »
First I'll admit that the below doesn't necessarily reflect on what Lacuna "thinks."  Heck Toot thinks washing himself will cause him to shrink like a wool sweater.  But I thought I'd quote it because it explains what is actually causing the Toot's growth.

In my mind, Ace didn't know what made Toot bigger, or had any real notions of how Harry manipulated his Za Lord guard & thus just did everything Harry did.  Only getting his minions better equipment & tactics, after he figured out how to make it work.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »
Point of clarification: Didn't Mab say she was mortal once, not human?
   It was said in the context of her grief, "human" grief over having killed her daughter... It was in a very human context.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 12:07:21 AM »
   It was said in the context of her grief, "human" grief over having killed her daughter... It was in a very human context.

I agree, but generally speaking trusting context in a discussion with one of the fey is kinda capital S Stupid

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 05:56:19 AM »
I agree, but generally speaking trusting context in a discussion with one of the fey is kinda capital S Stupid
   Yeah, except this moment with Mab was different, for a nanosecond she became vulnerable, what is more allowed Harry to see it..  Good thing they were alone too, as Kringle pointed out, because if anyone had witnessed her showing a moment of weakness, Harry would have paid with his life.