Author Topic: Lacuna's true nature (theory) [CD Spoilers]  (Read 27065 times)

Offline Adak

• Participant
    • View Profile
Lacuna's true nature (theory) [CD Spoilers]
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:40:19 AM »
The problem with pizza was hinted by Lacuna in CD.  It's not firm at all, but she seemed rather distressed that they were eating it as if it could have some bad ramifications.  (they could be imagined, or the ramifications might only be important to someone with Lacuna's particular quirks, but they could be significant too)

I have thought that Lacuna was apposed to pizza and candy because she was a tooth fairy and apposed to any junk food, though I don't know of any confirmation of my guess.

Edit:  I thought the Lacuna=Tooth Faerie idea was so cool I exercised my curator powers to split that part of the topic off to make this dedicated topic for it.  This way others that aren't following the older topic are more likely to be exposed to it, and later it can be stored in the DFRC as a stand alone theory.  -Serack

Edit 2:  Jim said here that he kinda included who Lacuna is into her name.  Jump down to this post to see how this discussion has already covered this. -Serack
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:29:48 PM by Serack »

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Lacuna's true nature
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 11:47:30 AM »
I have thought that Lacuna was apposed to pizza and candy because she was a tooth fairy and apposed to any junk food, though I don't know of any confirmation of my guess.

That is a really cool idea. I don't think I've seen that suggestion before.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 12:03:18 PM »
That is a really cool idea. I don't think I've seen that suggestion before.

That is a pretty cool idea. Kudos to Akak for coming up with it  :D.
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 04:06:14 PM »

*blink blink*

that's frikin awesome.

Edit:  I enshrined this theory in Elegast's Theory index here
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:59:12 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Orbweaver

• Posty McPostington
  • Let the games begin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 04:16:53 PM »
Out of curiosity, wouldn't the use of junk food accelerate the number of teeth that were falling out, thereby increasing the number of trades (and level of influence) the Faerie had across the board?

I'm a little more inclined to think that if Lacuna was a 'tooth' faerie, she'd want more teeth. Of course it's also possible that Sanya is correct, and Lacuna doesn't want the junk food because it's heavily addictive stuff (she seems to pride herself on her capabilities and knowledge).
In a world of black, white, and grey's... I'd be bright freaking purple. Resident Female Forum Denarian.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »

This. I wish I came up with this.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »
Out of curiosity, wouldn't the use of junk food accelerate the number of teeth that were falling out, thereby increasing the number of trades (and level of influence) the Faerie had across the board?

Unless she values quality over quantity
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »

Yeah, poor Toot has tried so hard to please her..  Maybe some real dark 70% or higher cocoa content chocolate?  That is a health food after all.. ;D

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 01:44:48 PM »
Some possible supporting evidence:

"Lacuna" is an actual music term, meaning a portion of the music when no notes are played -- a "missing piece".  Apparently (according to wikipedia) it's also used in text to describe a missing section. 

Thus, it would make sense that someone named Lacuna would deal in other "missing" things (e.g. teeth)....

Edit:  I'm adding this truely pertinant definition provided by another poster in another topic:-Serack, 1-14-2014
It has been noted that "Lacuna" literally means "gap", right ?

Not JUST gap either, but specifically :

Anatomy

a cavity or depression, especially in bone.

After I saw you point that out on the other thread, I went and had a look. And I really don't know how anyone can think otherwise to the tooth fairy idea with that piece of information in mind. I mean, c'mon, it literally says CAVITY ;)

Sourced from google and dictionary.com -Serack
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:25:05 PM by Serack »
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Phaeton Seraph

• Conversationalist
  • Diogenes. With fricken laser beams.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 02:11:52 PM »
Some possible supporting evidence:

"Lacuna" is an actual music term, meaning a portion of the music when no notes are played -- a "missing piece".  Apparently (according to wikipedia) it's also used in text to describe a missing section. 

Thus, it would make sense that someone named Lacuna would deal in other "missing" things (e.g. teeth)....

It can also mean amnesia in psychology.

However, it comes from the Latin lacus, also the origin of the English word "lake".  It can mean lake, pond or a vessel for holding water/liquid.

I'm better than a shirt.  I'm a sword....  Look, they're still breathing.   Stupid shirt.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Lacuna's true nature (theory) [CD Spoilers]
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 03:41:05 PM »
Interesting theory.  Makes me wonder why she wanted to duel Toot and the others for the Pizza, though (see below). 

Ive been thinking that maybe it has something to do with the Fae views of Gifts and Repayment.  We know that the Fae are incapable of accepting a gift without giving something equivalent in return, and given how highly they regard pizza it's no surprise that Toot and Co have interpreted that as Lifelong Service and Loyalty.  When offered food Lacuna, by contrast, asked for weak tea, curdled milk, and one of the most nutritionally empty foods known to man.  Such foods would have less value by far that The Pizza.  If however, she dueled them for the Pizza, then it would be the spoils of war and not a gift....

(click to show/hide)

PS  Werent the original Tooth fairies little things that would eat your teeth, more of a tooth troll or something?

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Adak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 04:51:16 PM »
Thanks for the new topic. 

Interesting theory.  Makes me wonder why she wanted to duel Toot and the others for the Pizza, though (see below). 

Ive been thinking that maybe it has something to do with the Fae views of Gifts and Repayment.  We know that the Fae are incapable of accepting a gift without giving something equivalent in return, and given how highly they regard pizza it's no surprise that Toot and Co have interpreted that as Lifelong Service and Loyalty.  When offered food Lacuna, by contrast, asked for weak tea, curdled milk, and one of the most nutritionally empty foods known to man.  Such foods would have less value by far that The Pizza.  If however, she dueled them for the Pizza, then it would be the spoils of war and not a gift....

PS  Werent the original Tooth fairies little things that would eat your teeth, more of a tooth troll or something?

I like this as another possible reason for her aversion to pizza though I'm not sure it accounts for the fury in her voice when talking about children and candy.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 06:09:01 PM »
Hmmm, maybe the same reason:  too many artificial calories being given away for free?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Phaeton Seraph

• Conversationalist
  • Diogenes. With fricken laser beams.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 06:22:55 AM »
they’re going to get that awful pizza all over themselves without the least regard for properly protecting themselves

I don't think it's teeth or empty calories.  She likes green tea and celery.  She's just a fey little Fae.

I'm better than a shirt.  I'm a sword....  Look, they're still breathing.   Stupid shirt.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 10:05:29 AM »
While I love the notion that Lucuna is a tooth fairy, I'm sticking with my gut feeling that Lacuna was force fed by Ace, as Ace was trying to duplicate Harry's guard.  Lacuna thinks the pizza made her bigger, which from Toot, we understand is considered a bad thing.

Much like being fat.