Author Topic: True Emotion Catch  (Read 1570 times)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
True Emotion Catch
« on: March 28, 2013, 01:18:54 PM »
Does anyone else think that the True Emotion Catch for Whampires is underrated? I think it should be worth at least a +1 because a rare class of people can access it, but it's not like it needs a super special Outsider sponsored ritual to do it, and maybe even +2 because it's probable wizards keep an eye on it.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: True Emotion Catch
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 01:30:29 PM »
This is one of those arguments that happens every few months.
It can get somewhat heated.

Suffice to say that there are some who agree with you, and some who do not.

Beyond that, I'm going to try to refrain from getting involved, for now, so as to attempt to avoid the unpleasantness of previous iterations of this thread.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »
Maybe its that way because a True emotion can actually harm them, not just negate their powers? Though, I do think it needs some tweaking. I imagine True hope might be more common than True love.
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 01:40:37 PM »
@Tedronai: Shit. I tumbled into One Of Those Topics (tm)?
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 02:35:44 PM »
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 10:55:34 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »
Yes.

I love how, in each thread, you have a post that links to an older thread.  Like a big chain of debates.

Magicpockets

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »
I love how, in each thread, you have a post that links to an older thread.  Like a big chain of debates.

I'm already reading the third thread^^

Seriously though, the Catch should have been:
+0-2: Ease of weaponizing a catch
+0-2: Research

Rarity doesn't matter jack squat if you can't use it properly as a weapon. By RAW, Silk would and Cold Iron would both qualify as +2 for the availability part, and the former is a lot more difficult to weaponize.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 05:02:21 PM »
People don't listen to me but I'm a big advocate about catches and symbols.

That's part of the research.  So maybe cold iron is the catch (+2), you can get it anywhere

But maybe how to implement that catch is more rare than just smacking them with it (+0) research.

The same with Love.  Even if you could get True Love anywhere, how so you weaponize it?  This is part of the research aspect of the catch.  Since "symbols" of true love are a catch, symbolism is going to be a big part in how to weaponize it.

Maybe you need to have 2 wedding rings from a couple who've been married for 50 years crafted into the hilt of the sword.  So while the sword itself isn't "true love", by the fashion it was crafted and the symbols placed in it makes fulfill the catch.  Maybe someone who has experienced true love must craft a sword themselves to use as a weapon.

I have a character that has a catch of "flowing silk".  Wrap a club in silk and voila.  It's weaponized.  If you want to use something like a sword, a special "prayer or ritual" must be said as the silk is being tied to the weapon.  This done, the sword acts as a catch even though the silk, that is wrapped around the hilt, never touches the enemy.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:22:59 PM by Taran »