Author Topic: playable artificer in dfrpg  (Read 3507 times)

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
Re: playable artificer in dfrpg
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 02:51:11 PM »
you are correct that he only crafts and that refinement was only taken for the extra item slots not the specialization element we just put spirit down cause it seemed to be the closest thing related to crafting.

oh and got the ritual on the cheap cause of Disability Super(natural) Power [-varies]
Description: You have a disability linked to a supernatural power. Maybe you're blind, but have skill with divination to compensate. Maybe you're inhumanly fast, but not as fast as your biopolarism can make your moods swing. Maybe you're able to move swiftly and silently in the shadows... because you're an albino who is harmed by the sunlight. Maybe you're superstrong... but seizures are a constant threat. Maybe you can shapeshift, but you always are missing that pinkie (or hand!), no matter whose or what appearance you're copying. And so forth.
Skills Affected: None—or any. Skills should be penalized or assigned based on the high concept. For example, a Deaf character should be required to have at least one rank in Scholarship, with the associated language of ASL, or a character with mobility problems should have a cap on their Athletics skill.
Musts: Must have a high concept that is related to both the disability and the power, for example BLIND PSYCHOMETRIC DETECTIVE.
Effects:
Supernatural Disability Power. You have a disability. This grants you a discount on one or more supernatural powers that are linked to it. The cost reduction to those powers is based on how intrusive and problematic the disability is. If the disability is ever cured, healed, or removed, the cost reduction goes away.

If the disability is severe, requiring special accommodation to function in modern society (blindness, serious mobility issues, etc), it's worth a +2.

If the disability threatens you medically (seizures, diseases requiring a strict drug regime, etc) its a +2.

If the disability is an issue that affects your quality of life but can be worked around without extreme cost/effect (missing/paralyzed limbs, deafness, issues requiring moderately expensive drug treatments, etc) its worth a +1.

Disabilities cannot reduce the total cost of linked powers below -1.

and the stunts
19th Century Tech, 20th Century Solutions (CMEast: Forum Post): You are able to make useful items, such as weapons, with non-electric, mechanical technology (clockwork, pneumatic power, etc). Items you create count as +4 higher on the Hexing Table (page YS : 258). very steampunk

"Do you like it? I made it myself": A weapon you made yourself, is a weapon you know really well. Pick melee or ranged. Use Craftsmanship to make attacks and manoeuvres with weapons of that type that you personally built from scratch. back you savages

i love the new improvements and will do a refit on his powers/stunts the next time my group gets together
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:01:36 PM by S1C0 »
Vae Victus

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 03:05:05 PM »
Yea those make sense.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 03:05:45 PM »
oh and got the ritual on the cheap cause of Disability Super(natural) Power [-varies]
Ah ok. Ritual would still cost 2 refresh though, you'd just get a rebate of 1, due to this. As it is written, it looks like ritual + disease gives you +1 refresh, instead of -1 it should. Usually, if there is a rebate power, you write it down like this:

supernatural disease [+1]
affecting:
 ritual (artificer) [-2]

In this case, the disease is +1, because it can't lower the costs of ritual below -1. It does not give a blanket +2 refresh bonus. Like the catch to toughness powers.

Second, I think the disease power is meant to be in line with the power, hindering it in some way. In your case, some sort of magical arthritis might be fitting, limiting how good you are at webbing those magical energies into an item, something like that. Look at the description of the power.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »
yes that is why if out in a huge open space he takes an automatic panic attack (weapon 5) and basically loses all higher brain function in a full body compulsion to get inside now or go absolutely mad as a hatter in a nutshell taking him out side is effectively Taking him out :'(
Vae Victus

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 03:28:32 PM »
Second, I think the disease power is meant to be in line with the power, hindering it in some way. In your case, some sort of magical arthritis might be fitting, limiting how good you are at webbing those magical energies into an item, something like that. Look at the description of the power.

I think that his makes sense. Look at the example of the albino. They are good at being in the shadows because the sun is dangerous. It makes sense for someone who likes to be cooped up in his home to be good at crafting stuff.

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »
the high concept IS artificer svartelves shut-in for that very reason, the reason he has agoraphobia is because he lost in a dog fight with the red baron and in stead of being taken out when he crashed into the water was that he took an extreme consequence
(click to show/hide)
Vae Victus

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 04:37:37 PM »
so on a side note any thoughts about a clockwork dragon "boss"monster 
Vae Victus

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 10:20:09 PM »
I don't like Disability Superpower much. I think that kind of thing is best handled with Compels.

If you're interested in custom Powers and Stunts and the like, there are some lists on the Resources board that you should check out. I can post links if you want, and I can pick out a few Powers that you might find useful.

Also, I suggest you use a different character sheet template. Because the one you have there is kind of hard to read.

There are some house rules for pets and allies out there. They're not great, but you might find them useful if you want to have minions.

There are also some house rules for creating characters with rituals out there. They are significantly better than the pet and ally rules.

Are you interested?

There are quite a few things off here.Craftsmanship is used to create things anyway. I don't think a stunt is necessary for that.

Pretty sure the stunt lets him wield the weapons with Craftsmanship.

Technically this is ok, but pushing everything into one skill is something I am generally very weary about. What's more, you have lore and craftsmanship at the same level, so that is basically 1 point of refresh going to waste. Conviction is not really needed for crafting as well, so that's another point of refresh you could safe. The last one to replace discipline with craftsmanship is the only one that might make sense, but only if you need to create an item in a hurry.

This could be really broken on another character, but it's being used incredibly suboptimally so it's actually underpowered.

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 04:22:23 AM »
at Sanctaphrax

yes i would like to have the links you mentioned about regarding all of what you mentioned i have been trying to get a bigger
data pool on various subjects, minions in particular are a thing of interest because so far only one PC in my group is a lone wolf type and we were planing on fighting in a haunted civil war battle and the core focus was about strategy and
less on hack and slash
Vae Victus

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 12:55:12 AM »
Okay, here are a bunch of links to homebrew things that might conceivably be relevant. My opinion on the quality of each is in brackets.

Pets and Allies. (Bit of a mess.)

Summoning. (Pretty good, but potentially abusable.)

Powers. (Uneven. Some stuff I like a lot, some I don't.)

Stunts. (Pretty solid.)

Items Of Power. (Most good.)

Sponsored Magic. (Generally good, with one or two exceptions.)

I suggest you look at the Semi-Animate, Limitation, and Alternate Magical Paradigm Powers in particular. The Powers document is searchable, so they should be easy to find.