Author Topic: 7th Sea DFRPG kitbash?  (Read 6665 times)

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
Re: 7th Sea DFRPG kitbash?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 08:15:40 PM »
I haven't forgotten about this, but I've gotten sidetracked with the umpteen drafts of my yearly review (just finished last week) and the two FATE games I am running for a convention in two weeks.

Any feedback anyone can provide for the above would be greatly appreciated.
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 11:19:12 PM »
One of the random things that's come up as I've been writing out my notes and soundboarding with my (potential) players: how much of this could be better using FATE Core vs DFRPG? Anyone have any input on this?
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 09:37:28 PM »
As I'm doing some of the number crunching, I've realized I've hit a snag with the Twice-Blooded or Half-Blooded sorceries.

I mean, with Porte and Pyryem, it's easy: buy your specific stunts/forms and be done with it. Most of the others reach the point of utilizing the High Concept of being Twice-Blooded to limit the sort of high-end things you can do.

But when you want to combine Glamour with El Fuego Adentro, for example, I hit a snag in numbers (as El Fuego Adentro is essentially Channeling with Physical Immunity to Fire, making it cost 5 Refresh, while Glamour is Sponsored Magic at -4), making the character a -9 Refresh at the start and relying on Aspects to keep the magical abilities on hold. Doable, but a bit clunky in my head, as the character is paying full price and not having the full powers at their disposal.

That said, should that concept be scrapped due to lack of translation, or should it be kept and narrowed down even further, like changing some of the Channeling abilities to Breath Weapon, or reducing the cost of "sponsored magic" type abilities and removing some of the major aspects of them.
Of course, this is where the "Limitation" custom power could be brought up, but I wonder if "Weak Blood" is a proper limitation here, as it impacts the overall capabilities and not actual availability.

For those of you who don't know 7th Sea: If you are a Full-Blooded mage, you could have immense power at your disposal as long as you dedicated yourself to it. Think of it as an equivalent of starting the game with Ritual and moving up to full blown Thaumaturgy, or starting with Beast Change and ending with True Shapeshifter.

Half-Blooded characters have access to the magic of their country but in a VERY limited manner. The differences don't translate very well, but it'd be closer to compare Channeling to Thaumaturgy. While a full- and half-blooded start in the same place with the same trick or two, the half-blooded gets left WAY behind in the scale of power.

For those who have followed the above discussion as a whole but don't know the setting: Porte could only open small portals for objects, but could never do the world-walker side of things; Pyryem could only turn into the full animal forms and not take the individual aspects (like taking the strength of a bear); Glamour was limited to just a fraction of the power available from the invoked legend (like turning a coin into a leaf when compared to being immortal in your own home); Sorte could see the strands and offer blessings, but could NEVER touch them. Those are the big ones here, and trying to limit them is the issue.

So...suggestions? Comments? Anything?