Author Topic: Proof that Time Travel Harry did not fix Little Chicago?? (CD Spoilers)  (Read 42946 times)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
Re: Proof that Time Travel Harry did not fix Little Chicago?? (CD Spoilers)
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2013, 12:54:36 AM »
(click to show/hide)

So why is Parasite causing the same type of headaches as the ones Harry experienced when his mind was apparently Mabipulated?  Specifically, the "pain in the temples", which are attributed to the Parasite in CD, but were previously described during his lapses (SmF blasting rod; TC LC).

:o   Oooooooohhhh....

Maybe Mab isn't causing the headaches.  Nor is her manipulation of his mind.  When you think about it, Mab should be able to leave no trace of her manipulation, right?

But what if the headaches are the Parasite's attempts to draw his attention?  What if it's Lash trying to point a neon sign at the parts of Harry's brain that Mab manipulated?

The first time, in regards to the blasting rod, Harry doesn't hear Michael say the words.  His mind is prevented from even recognizing those words together.  But then he has the shooting pain, and he remembers the words, and then their relationship to him.

The second time, Harry seems to have no recollection of LC.  He sits and tries tracking spells in the circle in his lab.  It's not until after he tells Molly that he hesitates after saying he has no idea what to do next that he has the shooting pain. 

What if Lash was saying "Blasting rod, idjit!" and "Try LC, idjit!", and it came across as ice-picks-to-the-temples headaches.

according to SmF, the headaches are natural reactions to when someone changes a person's memories. If you recall, harry had his firsts et when mab took his blasting rod.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2013, 01:04:20 AM »
according to SmF, the headaches are natural reactions to when someone changes a person's memories. If you recall, harry had his firsts et when mab took his blasting rod.

No, when Mab manipulated Harry in SmF, she froze his eyes and kissed his ear.  That's presumably when she laid her memory compulsion on him.  And it may have triggered Lash.  What if the resurrection of Lash was partly -- accidentally -- induced by Mab's memory manipulations?

Then the headaches occur when her compulsion kicks in.  Lash is trying to warn Harry, causing the headache.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2013, 07:11:56 AM »
No, when Mab manipulated Harry in SmF, she froze his eyes and kissed his ear.  That's presumably when she laid her memory compulsion on him.  And it may have triggered Lash.  What if the resurrection of Lash was partly -- accidentally -- induced by Mab's memory manipulations?

Then the headaches occur when her compulsion kicks in.  Lash is trying to warn Harry, causing the headache.

problem with that theory is Mab swore to stop messing with his head at the end of GS- and some of those headaches were damn convenient for Mab
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline beetnemesis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »

b) Not be noticed/or mentioned later by Bob the Skull
-- also lampshaded in cold days. Mab always knew bob was there; Harry notes this in CD

Wait, I think I must have missed this.  Where does it say Mab always knew Bob was there?

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »
Wait, I think I must have missed this.  Where does it say Mab always knew Bob was there?

when she had a car waiting to go get Bob... the one person who could tell Harry how to kill Maeve.

page 95, hard back, cold days.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2013, 05:21:37 PM »
The first time I met him, he asked me what the secret of my sexual success was.  That kind of disinclined me to excessive reference.

Wat
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2013, 08:26:18 PM »
Wat

Sorry, that should be "reverence", not "reference".
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2013, 08:33:18 PM »
Sorry, that should be "reverence", not "reference".

No, I mean...THE Terry Pratchett, the creator of the discworld books... asked you what the secret of your sexu-I mean. Wat

Wat.

Wat. 

:o
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »
No, I mean...THE Terry Pratchett, the creator of the discworld books... asked you what the secret of your sexu-I mean. Wat

He knew me online, some time ago.  Different world, different alias, but a couple of decades ago there were Pratchett fan communities that had some similarities to this here forum in terms of groups of cool people getting to know each other through a common interest; except largely UK-centric, so quite a bit easier to meet each other in person also. As for the rest, well, I got a fortune cookie this weekend saying people find it difficult to resist my persuasive manner. *waggles eyebrows*

If I ever do publish fiction of my own, I intend to see whether I can get that quote on the back (along with Steve Brust calling me cute and JB's "dear god are you a CIA analyst or something").
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:46:31 PM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Dedwrekka

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2013, 09:11:27 PM »
Does Vadderung telling Harry that a mortal wizard can't possibly draw enough power to go back in time have any play in the conversation?

Actually, as I've been rereading through the series, I've been compiling a headache journal for Harry.
The first time in the series he complains about a headache not related to an injury is in Fool Moon.
However, there's another series of headaches that happen where Harry has a headache, and then does something uncharacteristic. It's most obvious and frequent in Cold Days, but it's also happened in the series for some time, and at least one such occurrence happens in Summer Knight.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2013, 09:29:48 PM »
Does Vadderung telling Harry that a mortal wizard can't possibly draw enough power to go back in time have any play in the conversation?
Actually, as I've been rereading through the series, I've been compiling a headache journal for Harry.
The first time in the series he complains about a headache not related to an injury is in Fool Moon.
However, there's another series of headaches that happen where Harry has a headache, and then does something uncharacteristic. It's most obvious and frequent in Cold Days, but it's also happened in the series for some time, and at least one such occurrence happens in Summer Knight.

there's one specific type of headache that occurs first in SmF, however:

the two piercing points of cold, like a pair of icicles shoved into his brain.

occurs in SmF (in relation to Mab and the rod), In TC (when harry is about to get mouse to lead him to Thomas)(also with the missing LC) and again in CD.

its like a giant 'Mab was here' sign.

He knew me online, some time ago.  Different world, different alias, but a couple of decades ago there were Pratchett fan communities that had some similarities to this here forum in terms of groups of cool people getting to know each other through a common interest; except largely UK-centric, so quite a bit easier to meet each other in person also. As for the rest, well, I got a fortune cookie this weekend saying people find it difficult to resist my persuasive manner. *waggles eyebrows*

If I ever do publish fiction of my own, I intend to see whether I can get that quote on the back (along with Steve Brust calling me cute and JB's "dear god are you a CIA analyst or something").

what nothing from Charles Stross?

;D

Offline Dedwrekka

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2013, 09:36:43 PM »
there's one specific type of headache that occurs first in SmF, however:

the two piercing points of cold, like a pair of icicles shoved into his brain.

occurs in SmF (in relation to Mab and the rod), In TC (when harry is about to get mouse to lead him to Thomas)(also with the missing LC) and again in CD.

its like a giant 'Mab was here' sign.

However, we have excellent proof that the "Parasite" has been causing headaches, and that it's separate from Mab, from both Ghost Story and Cold Days.
So, while I'm not saying some didn't come from Mab's mind warp, I'm doubting all of them did.

Also, there's a lot more than headaches that come from someone messing with your mind, and we have plenty of proof of that from the series starting at Proven Guilty.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:38:24 PM by Dedwrekka »

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2013, 11:08:09 PM »

Here's a thread with a list of all the headaches, when they occur and what the context of the headache was....http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,35813.msg1701063.html#msg1701063

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »
However, we have excellent proof that the "Parasite" has been causing headaches, and that it's separate from Mab, from both Ghost Story and Cold Days.
So, while I'm not saying some didn't come from Mab's mind warp, I'm doubting all of them did.

Also, there's a lot more than headaches that come from someone messing with your mind, and we have plenty of proof of that from the series starting at Proven Guilty.

we know one headache was caused by Mab

we know one was caused by the parasite

we know Mab and the parasite made a deal

we know Mab promised to stop messing with Harry's head in GS

what we don't know is what caused the incidents in TC

Offline Hex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2013, 12:07:47 AM »
we know Mab promised to stop messing with Harry's head in GS

Where in the book did this happen? I don't recall this happening.
Mark Twain : Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities, truth isn't.