Author Topic: Dresden Files RPG ACCELERATED!  (Read 11263 times)

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files RPG ACCELERATED!
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2013, 06:13:48 PM »
2014 is going to be a long wait . . . good think we may have paranet papers in the meantime.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2013, 06:29:51 PM »
Yes... Paranet Papers. I've been waiting for that to release since it was announced. *shakes wad of cash at Evil Hat* You've got my money for the Kickstarter, now take my money for the Paranet Papers!
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 06:39:17 PM »
Edit: Another question. Is there any way to preorder a physical copy of DF Accelerated, right now. It doesn't seem to be in the stretch goals

There is not. They don't know how much printing it'll cost and thus don't know how to price such a thing.

Also: Yay!!!

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2013, 07:25:21 PM »
If it is anything like FAE though it will only end up costing $15 @ the most when they release it

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2013, 07:32:12 PM »
According to the announcement they're targeting a $10 PDF. On the other hand they targeted one Volume for the first DF:RPG
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2013, 08:34:07 PM »
It's got to be nice for the developers to see something they made be 100x more valuable to people out there than expected.

I'm pretty sure they were expecting to go well past their goal, actually. There was never any real chance that this would fail.

Is it an evil hat?  *ba-dum-bum-ching*

Sort of. I got it at an anti-tuition protest. Depending on your political views it may or may not be evil.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2013, 08:37:18 PM »
Fred said that he was expecting at most 40,000 so...

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »
Still - Fred is taking the profit from the orders for the basic system to make the other books (good idea) but then giving away PDFs of those books to anyone who coughs up $10.

We're looking major supplements, call it 1000+ pages of professionally produced PDFs (with art and lay) - that he's giving away to 9100+ customers for $10.  A huge value, but I hate to think what this is doing to his bottom line.

For a mere $10 you get PDFs of the basic rules and:
The Fantasy Adventure (Tower of the Serpents)
Kriegszeppelin Valkyrie
Magic system toolkit
Wild Blue
Court/Ship
Burn Shift
Fight Fire
No Exit
The Ellis Affair
CrimeWorld
White Picket Witches
Timeworks
Extras Toolbox - 40,000 words all told (~130-160 pages)
Camelot Trigger
Shadow of the Century
Fate Accelerated Edition
Do: Fate of the Flying Temple
Fate System Freeport Companion
Young Centurions RPG
The Day After Ragnarok
Sally Slick and the Steel Syndicate (Novel)
Strange Tales of the Century, and
Dresden Files Accelerated (note that $20,000 will be going straight to Jim)

Each of those PDFs could go at the $5 - $10 range (more for the larger books), so that's a lot of profit that they are leaving on the table.

Richard

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2013, 03:10:32 AM »
Still - Fred is taking the profit from the orders for the basic system to make the other books (good idea) but then giving away PDFs of those books to anyone who coughs up $10.

We're looking major supplements, call it 1000+ pages of professionally produced PDFs (with art and lay) - that he's giving away to 9100+ customers for $10.  A huge value, but I hate to think what this is doing to his bottom line.

For a mere $10 you get PDFs of the basic rules and:
The Fantasy Adventure (Tower of the Serpents)
Kriegszeppelin Valkyrie
Magic system toolkit
Wild Blue
Court/Ship
Burn Shift
Fight Fire
No Exit
The Ellis Affair
CrimeWorld
White Picket Witches
Timeworks
Extras Toolbox - 40,000 words all told (~130-160 pages)
Camelot Trigger
Shadow of the Century
Fate Accelerated Edition
Do: Fate of the Flying Temple
Fate System Freeport Companion
Young Centurions RPG
The Day After Ragnarok
Sally Slick and the Steel Syndicate (Novel)
Strange Tales of the Century, and
Dresden Files Accelerated (note that $20,000 will be going straight to Jim)

Each of those PDFs could go at the $5 - $10 range (more for the larger books), so that's a lot of profit that they are leaving on the table.

Richard

Yes and no.  This way gets FATE to 9,000+ people.  It strengthens the brand.  As long as the goals were priced with some profit in it, most people should be pretty solid.  9,000+ players of a system before the system is released/on launch is much better than almost any other RPG gets.

I mean, as of right now, they're averaging about $43 per person.  That means that people who pledged a lot are paying for people who didn't.  Even without the $20,000 Jim gets, they're still at $40+/person average.  Not bad for a game system.  And they have products to sell later and a massive fanbase to spur those sales.  If we look at something like GURPS for reference, a lot of those settings would barely sell anyway.  You'd really be at FATE Core+Toolkit for most, with a whole mess of Accelerated (Fate or DFRPG) thrown in.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:18:27 AM by InFerrumVeritas »

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2013, 03:29:30 AM »
Besides which many of the people will buy the actual books of the PDF's they like.  Fate just got an amazing boost and a significant amount of free money out of the deal.  Besides which they showed that they have a HUGE fanbase.  I see big things to come given that outside of the Mistborn RPG I may never run a nonfate game because my experiences have been so stellar with groups and Fate.  It meshes with my personal style very well, and most of what I've seen of Fatecore made changes I'd half made in my campaigns anyway(never used social conflicts because I didn't like them.  Messes with how I like social things to run.)  The free stunt idea is one I personally enjoy because stunts can do a lot to give character, which helps noobie gamers quite a bit. 
In short YAY!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2013, 03:51:06 AM »
10 060 backers. 432 012 dollars. 15 minutes to go.

If you're gonna pledge, do it now.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2013, 03:56:33 AM »
I think Evil Hat's marketing strategy is pretty smart, personally. The best way to look good is to be good.

As evidence, I present the results that Evil Hat is getting. They're pulling in oodles of money. And I've spent more than a week's rent on this Kickstarter, so clearly this stuff works on me.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2013, 04:07:10 AM »
And we're done. 10 098 backers, 433 275 dollars.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2013, 04:21:29 AM »
Not just oodles of money, from what (little) I know about Kickstarter 10k+ is a lot of backers for this sort of product. 

Congrats to Fred and the Evil Hat team.  Thank you for letting me give you my money, it is an honor.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2013, 04:37:01 AM »
Don't forget processing fees.  Between the two,  Kickstarter and Amazon (or Paypal for those who used that) take roughly 10%.

Richard