Author Topic: Is the fate system the best for the book series  (Read 7515 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Is the fate system the best for the book series
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 04:30:14 AM »
Don't forget them also having the next best thing to a Faerie Queen helping them out.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 05:13:40 AM »
Lea is explicitly stronger than Maeve. So, better than a Faerie Queen.

Unless you were referring to Queen as in that specific member of the trio, in which case i'm a goober.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 05:17:02 AM »
You're a goober.  But I won't hold it against you.

Lea is said to be second only to Mab as far as sheer power is concerned among the Winter Court.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 03:41:38 PM »
You're a goober.  But I won't hold it against you.

Lea is said to be second only to Mab as far as sheer power is concerned among the Winter Court.
Ignoring (obviously) the Mothers. I cannot see any way that Mab (never mind Lea) could outgun Mother Winter.
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline thorr-kan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 10:53:08 PM »
Well, FATE seems to fit the setting pretty well, but I can think of at least two other rule sets that would fit.

First, there's In Nomine from Steve Jackson Game.  I'd use the following mapping:
Evocation magic is Coporeal Songs.
Thaumaturgy is Sorcery; some addition skills/rituals necessary.
The Nevernever is the Ethereal and all its denizens.
The various vampires can be handled by various Discords.
You'll need to decide if the "known" supernatural landscape is accurate or if the default IN cosmology applies.
Voila; instant campaign setting.

Second, a d20 system could work.  Before I heard about DFRPG, I was noodling around with a DF setting.  I'd use:
d20 Modern, with the E6 limitations (nobody gets more that 6 levels; add'l XP buys feats)
Green Ronin's True Sorcery for Evocation
The Incantation rules from Zombie Sky Press, Unearthed Arcana, and d20 Modern for Thaumaturgy.
Do some template work for your supernatural races.
Voila; instant d20 setting that can be DF or similar games with the serial numbers filed off.

*Any* rule set can be used for any setting with some work.  Shoot, the Friday Night Gaming Group plays Prep and Landing games every Christmas using Call of Cthulhu rules.
I have a blog; come see what I've created:  https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/tag/charactercreationchallenge/

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »
I'd love to see the Dresdenverse done using Amber Diceless. Not quite as complex as FATE but still free and loose to play...
I hate you right now.  Mainly because Amber Diceless is...  Unweildly.  Awesome in concept, but unweildly.

The only place I really see this as a problem is villanous spellcasters.  I can have a 30 refresh uber wizard, but he can't defend and attack at the same time well enough to handle 6 7 refresh PC's.  (Although the fact my villains average a roll of -2 might play a part there.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:37:09 PM by Aminar »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 04:41:51 AM »
I hate you right now.  Mainly because Amber Diceless is...  Unweildly.  Awesome in concept, but unweildly.

This is true. It can be made less so...but it's a lot of effort.

The only place I really see this as a problem is villanous spellcasters.  I can have a 30 refresh uber wizard, but he can't defend and attack at the same time well enough to handle 6 7 refresh PC's.  (Although the fact my villains average a roll of -2 might play a part there.)

Are you using Blocks with Duration and/or defensive Enchanted Items? Those are the way spellcasters survive, so if not...

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »
I don't see how that's possible. At 30 refresh, you should be able to throw enough power into a spell to seriously cripple at least a couple of those 7-refresh PCs at a time, and should be easily able to create a block that they can't get through without at least a couple maneuvers.

At 30 refresh, you should be able to cast 10-shift evocations without breaking a sweat. Or have minions.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »
I don't see how that's possible. At 30 refresh, you should be able to throw enough power into a spell to seriously cripple at least a couple of those 7-refresh PCs at a time, and should be easily able to create a block that they can't get through without at least a couple maneuvers.

At 30 refresh, you should be able to cast 10-shift evocations without breaking a sweat. Or have minions.
Was a necromancer specializing in Mind Control.  His drummer was dead from a previous session and I couldn't roll crap.  I'd set spells so a negative 1 would succeed and roll negative 3.  Then the PC's would roll 4's.  I mentioned the bad dice right.  He wasn't the crowning moment of awesome for the session anyways(That was the Fetch version of Maleficent the Dragon lurking in front of Cinderella's Castle while he prepped the Darkhallow testrun.)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 08:27:53 PM »

Fred has stated several times that FATE evolved from some things that he was doing Amber.

The biggest problem mixing the DV and Amber is finding a reason to stay in the DV.  Keeping PCs from popping out to get something or trumping home for a meal.  Then there's always the always popular "I go to a fast time Shadow that is completely safe, heal, and trump back in a minute or so".

The second biggest problem is PC scale.  In Amber the average PC can toss an easy chair across the room and two of them could pick up a 70's car (all metal and heavy as hell) and carry it.

While it can be adapted, you'd almost have to rewrite the stat system or in Proven Guilty Harry and Molly would have the same strength score (human).

Speaking of Diceless, there's a new Diceless book coming out.  Due to issues with the Zelazny estate it's not set in Amber but in a cosmos where you travel the Shadows...er, I mean travel the "Realms" by means of a stairway.

Richard

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »
Was a necromancer specializing in Mind Control.  His drummer was dead from a previous session and I couldn't roll crap.  I'd set spells so a negative 1 would succeed and roll negative 3.  Then the PC's would roll 4's.  I mentioned the bad dice right.  He wasn't the crowning moment of awesome for the session anyways(That was the Fetch version of Maleficent the Dragon lurking in front of Cinderella's Castle while he prepped the Darkhallow testrun.)

Well you still should be able to do something. Additionally you could have him roll plot (though some people dont like that)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 01:26:42 AM »
Well you still should be able to do something. Additionally you could have him roll plot (though some people dont like that)
I know.  There are things I could have done.  But in the end it came down to Wizards are really squishy.(And I hadn't figured out the enchanted item block trick yet so shields just sucked.)

Offline Wyntonian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 01:30:45 AM »
Better analogy is that they're both pump action shotguns, but while Ebenezer is a 10 gauge firing solid slugs, Harry's a 20 gauge firing birdshot.

Does that make Molly a Super Soaker full of LSD?

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 01:46:51 AM »
Molly's a Flashbang.

Entendres everywhere.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 03:58:22 AM »

It really depends on your build.

If you have low Alertness and no awesome defensive item, you can easily get murdered before taking an action.

Plus, Refresh invested in ritual magic simply doesn't help in a fight. Non-Crafter thaumaturges can be weak fighters no matter how high their Refresh.

And Refresh invested in Lawbreaker is just generally less effective than Refresh invested in Refinement. There are exceptions, but those exceptions are exceptions.

And then there's standard sub-optimal stuff like focusing on multiple Evocation elements and not putting your casting skills as high as possible.

So it's pretty easy to build an uber-Wizard that's easy to kill.