Author Topic: Is the fate system the best for the book series  (Read 7514 times)

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Is the fate system the best for the book series
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 12:39:42 AM »
we ll defended and you are all correct I am new to the series and do not completely understand the rules. Which is one of the reasons i posted, to see how you all interpreted the rules.

I cant say I like the magic laws Just don't, not even in the books and intend to play them more as guidelines rather then thou shants. That is peoples intentions weight more then peoples actions.

Thank you though well said all of you.

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 01:04:23 AM »
I'd love to see the Dresdenverse done using Amber Diceless. Not quite as complex as FATE but still free and loose to play...

I'd much rather see the Amber setting in a Fate system.  :)

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 02:25:28 PM »
Brought up in another thread I opined that I don't care much for the rules when it comes to magic. Why you might ask:  Wizards have at best 4 spells per engagement with the possibility to flub them fairly easily. If they decide to go balls to the walls to take out some really big bad they have even less. This makes them about level 2-3 in the old dungeon and dragons system. <snip>
Just picking at nits but wizards have 4 spells per scene which are a) extremely flexible and potentially fit any scene; and b) are the most powerful attacks available on a per refresh basis.

So yeah, four spells per scene.  That's the only major drawback.  (Needing dedicated skills is minor.)  Comparing to D&D as you did, it's like being able to pick any spell of any level to cast...only better since you can tailor them to fit.

An example defense in action: say you end up with a legendary roll: you have a block of 8 for one pass and then you have to roll again and gain another mental stress. Or you can reduce the block to 6 and have the spell last for 3 passes. Provided it isn't brought down early if the bad guy roles well. And what nasty in the Dresden world couldn't beat a block of fantastic.
As others noted, wizards are better off using enchanted items for blocks.

I just can't see how the white court brought down the entire red court of vampires. This system is not meant for large scale engagements. <snip>
Not really sure I'd rely on the novels to be recreatable by the game but:
(click to show/hide)

Now with all my feeling about the magic system you might ask why bother playing. I love urban fantasy, I can't decide which world is better The hollows or Dresdens I like playing in it. I only wish the magic system lived up to the books.
I don't think any game ever really recreates the feel of a novel.  DFRPG did a better than average job at trying but games and novels have completely different methods and processes. 

When it comes to novels, I recommend Ilona Andrews' "Kate Daniels" series and Seanan McGuire's "October Daye" series (and the previously mentioned Mercy Thompson series).  They rank with Dresden for quality and entertainment.  :)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 08:24:01 PM »
I ran a game focused on wizards and not set particularly in the Dresdenverse. I used Toughness Powers for the mental stress track like those for the physical. I think I just called them inhuman, supernatural and mythic spellcaster or something.

Wizards could then sling around lots of spells and only tired when reaching well above their normal capabilities or when they couldn't control what they drew in.

It was fun and the wizards were bad news. After doing this, I would probably give the heavy hitters like Ebenezar and the Merlin these powers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:54:23 AM by Tush Hog »

Offline Wyntonian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 10:01:47 PM »
I ran a game focused on wizards and not set particularly in the Dresdenverse. I used Toughness Powers for the mental stress track instead of the physical. I think I just called them inhuman, supernatural and mythic spellcaster or something.

Wizards could then sling around lots of spells and only tired when reaching well above their normal capabilities or when they couldn't control what they drew in.

It was fun and the wizards were bad news. After doing this, I would probably give the heavy hitters like Ebenezar and the Merlin these powers.

That... is freaking borked. I mean, if it worked for you in your wizard-focused game, hey more power to ya.  But in anything else... my brain hurts to consider it.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 12:35:34 AM »
I ran a game focused on wizards and not set particularly in the Dresdenverse. I used Toughness Powers for the mental stress track instead of the physical. I think I just called them inhuman, supernatural and mythic spellcaster or something.

i like it since i prefere wizards to any other type

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 12:54:45 AM »
I think Eb accomplishes what he does more by only needing one spell to kill pretty much anything rather than really extreme endurance. In Changes, he moved thousands of tons of stone with one force blast and killed 200 human servants of the Red Court by waving the Blackstaff at them.  And in Turn Coat, it talked about how the Senior Council members there (including Eb) could have been brought down by numbers even of pretty weak minions (Fae spiders and Binder's gray men).

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 12:59:40 AM »
Yeah. Ebenezar's endurance is probably on par with Harry's, but no better. He's just vastly more effective on a per-spell basis.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 01:07:06 AM »
IF they were cars, they would have the same gas tank capacity, but Ebenezar would have a lot more gas mileage.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Wyntonian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 01:43:41 AM »
IF they were cars, they would have the same gas tank capacity, but Ebenezar would have a lot more gas mileage.

And a really freaking huge engine. Cuz. Y'know. Moving thousands of tons of stone.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 05:56:50 PM »
Better analogy is that they're both pump action shotguns, but while Ebenezer is a 10 gauge firing solid slugs, Harry's a 20 gauge firing birdshot.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline tymire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 06:31:17 PM »
I just can't see how the white court brought down the entire red court of vampires. This system is not meant for large scale engagements. 

Not really sure I'd rely on the novels to be recreatable by the game but:

(click to show/hide)

Not too sure I agree with you on the ninja mechanic.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 06:44:17 PM »
Yeah...I'm less than surprised that some of the scariest Wizards on earth can take on an army when backed up by various Deities, Archangels, and similar things.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 07:39:39 PM »
i like it since i prefere wizards to any other type

It's not usually a good idea to deliberately unbalance the game in favour of your favourite character type.

For the approach I prefer to mental durability Powers, see the Custom Power list.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 02:24:57 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Not too sure I agree with you on the ninja mechanic.

(click to show/hide)

forgot about the god and the archangel, i think the red court had pissed off a lot of other critters aside from the human wizards.