Author Topic: mythological figures we'd like to see  (Read 38669 times)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
Re: mythological figures we'd like to see
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 02:57:50 PM »
oeh! I thought of a funny one: The Morrigan, 3 for the price of 1  8)

(and they are rumored to battle Medb a.k.a. Maeve, so the way is clear)

cough coughmabsheshereallreadycoughcough
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 02:58:40 PM »
Personally, I'm pretty sure Heimdall has been in almost every book.  He was/is the watcher, guardian of the bifrost bridge and first line of defense against the invasion of Asgard (and there is a nagging thought in the back of my head that he was only supposed to speak when sounding a warning, but I may well be wrong).  Now who do we know that rarely speaks, has preternatural healing, jokes with Odin, and was called 'the observer' by his enemies?  ;D

Being that they are both supposed to sound a horn to signal the end of the world, my current theory is that Heimdall is an aspect of Gabriel.

Id like to see Cain, personally.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline punkinholler

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 03:03:35 PM »
Athena- if numbers of worshippers actualy mean anything, she'd be the second most powerfull god after the WG. either way, could be interesting.

Carmilla. of course, im quazy enough to think shes allready shown up

;)

Athena still has worshipers?  I know she's one of the better known greek gods and she's symbolically represented in a lot of places but I didn't realize anyone still literally worshiped her anymore.
"The tiny capes are a dead giveaway"

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »
Athena still has worshipers?  I know she's one of the better known greek gods and she's symbolically represented in a lot of places but I didn't realize anyone still literally worshiped her anymore.

a few hundred thousand or so, as herself. A few million if you get into the 'mantles' as the DF uses the term. But I meant as total worshippers in history.

73 different relgions + thousands of years + most popular pagan goddess in western history = some truly ridiculous numbers
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 03:17:52 PM »
Apollo has Sun, Light, intellect, prophecy, and truth among others. Primarily my exposure to Apollo has been as a god of wisdom enlightenment and intellect. The Greek god of of war was Ares.  If he has appeared as one of the immortals I would bet he got rolled into Odin, but I don't see the Erlking as a fit at all.
I like the way that my professor once described Apollo.  The god of everything the Greeks were really proud of (prophecy, healing, light, civilization, etc.)
Ares was the god of war, but mainly the bad aspects of war.  He was the guy that none of the other Olympians really liked (even his daddy Zeus ;D ).  Athena took over the respectable aspects of war.  Once you get to the Romans, Mars was given more respect
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Socratov

• Conversationalist
  • Mantle of Nanny Ogg
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 03:24:21 PM »
cough coughmabsheshereallreadycoughcough
Well, I was more thinking along the lines of Mother Winter revealed. Mab is only 1 aspect of the Morrigan (weirdly enough Maeve, the adversary of the morrigan, is her daughter), maybe mother winter has the other 2...

Oh, and only current worshippers count in power at a given moment. Else stuff gets ridicilous... real fast... It also explains why odin woudl want to take up the mantle of Santa clause and become the king of winter (I mean, that woudl mean consorting with Mab, which is exciting to say the least, never a dull moment) becuase a lot of people (almost the complete western world) believes in Santa in one way or another...

also, does anyone else have the feelign that the lords and gentlemen of Faerie are a lot nicer and reasonable then the ladies? Gruff seems to indicate such sentiments...
I like the way that my professor once described Apollo.  The god of everything the Greeks were really proud of (prophecy, healing, light, civilization, etc.)
Ares was the god of war, but mainly the bad aspects of war.  He was the guy that none of the other Olympians really liked (even his daddy Zeus ;D ).  Athena took over the respectable aspects of war.  Once you get to the Romans, Mars was given more respect
true, however the greatest greek god (and simultaneously the least respected) was Dionysus: God of booze, booty and paaartay! I totally see Molly worshipping him by doing the one woman rave  8)
yes, I am male and I engage in the activity known as shipping. I just wish harry some relief from time to time. He's getting tortured enough as it is...

I think, therefore I am. I am therefore people must believe I exist. Ergo: I think people believe in me ;)

Offline Lind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 03:28:57 PM »
Pele or any of the many things in Hawaiian legend.  Having Jim dig around and play with some of the mythology from where I grew up if he ever writes the Murphy/Kincaid in Hawaii story would make me very happy.

Frankenstein's creature, the Golem, Talos, etc.  I would love to see Jim's take on artificially constructed beings with minds of their own.

Offline robertltux

• Posty McPostington
  • Cat Sith Must rise again
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 03:36:13 PM »
I would like to see Jims version of Tinkerbell (since my other picks have been taken)
Jim/Bast could we have more Cat Sith???

Offline punkinholler

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 03:38:17 PM »
a few hundred thousand or so, as herself. A few million if you get into the 'mantles' as the DF uses the term. But I meant as total worshippers in history.

73 different relgions + thousands of years + most popular pagan goddess in western history = some truly ridiculous numbers

My word, you've got to be one of the most historically knowledgeable people I've ever encountered :-)

I see what you mean, though. I was thinking of it the way Neil Gaiman portrays the issue wherein only the number of current people who actually worship a particular deity makes a difference in their power base. However, now that I think about it, I agree that that total historical numbers would matter in the DV, at least in terms of the Oblivion War, since Athena is very unlikely to be forgotten about any time soon.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »
My word, you've got to be one of the most historically knowledgeable people I've ever encountered :-)
Not only history.  The Lady Duck knows science and math too.  It just isn't fair ;D
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline punkinholler

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2013, 03:47:56 PM »
Not only history.  The Lady Duck knows science and math too.  It just isn't fair ;D

Well I suppose we can't all be polymaths  ;)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2013, 04:10:57 PM »
Awwwwwwwwww im blushing

(for for a duck is kinda wierd)

Thank yOU @!!

(hugs)

Offline lt_murgen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2013, 04:42:21 PM »
I would like to see Jims version of Tinkerbell (since my other picks have been taken)

I think we have met her.  She was leading the charge to kill Harry in Winter Knight.  After all, Toot-toot and the rest do seem like lost boys....
Lol! I allwyas liked the big Bird = trex. It explains why they have t get new kids each season..

Offline mithrandirthewhite

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2013, 04:53:29 PM »
About the Morrigan, isn't Maeve suppose to be one of the aspects of the Morrigan, and also I believe Jim said that Mab's character was based off of the Morrigan as a whole. Considering CD, it still works.  I love Irish Mythology.

Also, i want to see the Fir Bolgs and Lugh.  Or at least Lugh's spear.  THat thing is ridiculous
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Offline hamlet

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2013, 04:59:59 PM »
Quetzoquoatle (and I know I spelled it wrong), the last great dragon who turns out to be an ally in the BAT.