Author Topic: Pancake Universe  (Read 29029 times)

wizard nelson

Re: A Badelynge of Quackiness, Part Two
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2012, 02:51:50 AM »
anyone notice harry was gollum in changes compared to susans frodo? or is that backwards?

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2012, 03:06:36 AM »
anyone notice harry was gollum in changes compared to susans frodo? or is that backwards?

I suspect Lash was gollum, actually.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Orbweaver

• Posty McPostington
  • Let the games begin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2012, 03:08:15 AM »

I just thought about the Ring being Maggie in either case, and I got very creeped out by the image of Harry throwing his own kid into an active volcano. This is why I don't try to do analogies to other characters in other books. It never ends well, either for me or for the initial characters.
In a world of black, white, and grey's... I'd be bright freaking purple. Resident Female Forum Denarian.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2012, 03:13:01 AM »

Harry was identified as Samwise to Susan's Frodo.  Gollum was never assigned, even if Harry wondered about it. (My own opinion matches the Duck's-- probably Lash.  I equate the Rampire inflection carried by both Martin and Susan to be the equivalent to the Ring's call, which equates Susan's transformation to Frodo's claiming the Ring.  Boromir also attempted to claim it, yes?  And Sanya-as-Aragorn has already experienced and rejected the temptation of power.)

Offline Bakoro

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2012, 01:21:21 PM »
If any corporeal person was Gollum it was Martin or Susan. Martin was the pitiful creature that lead them to Mt. Doom and it was him dieing that allowed the battle to be won. I guess that would mean Susan turned into the ring at the last moment. Or Susan was Gollum since Gollum's death was kind of a predetermined sacrifice that Gandalf (Lea) foresaw.   
Of course it's never going to be a perfect analogy.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:29:32 PM by Bakoro »

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »
hmm new woj..

Jim: 3) Everything revolves around /this/ earth, in the Dresden stories. But not necessarily around all (or even a majority of) the other earths that exist in the continuum of possibility created by free will. Other, parallel realities have other worlds playing a more central role, and some of them have earth in a nice quiet backwater, peaceful, relatively conflict free, and boring.

so while worlds remain at the center of the NN, its not allways the same world? innnnteresssting...

thats how the outsiders are getting here :)

I'm afraid I don't follow. Mind expanding a bit?
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."
- Jim Butcher at Space City Con, 2013

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2012, 04:54:42 PM »
Ok.. the DF earth is at the center of the NN

but in some alternate universe, the center of the NN is not the earth, its another planet.

mars? qunos? who knows?

but thats how the aliens are getting here.. not traveling thru space, because the magic doenst go that far..
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2012, 04:59:59 PM »
So your suggestion is that Outsiders are merely aliens from others planets in other alternate universes, who use some sort of connection between their Never Never and ours to reach our Earth because although their planet and ours don't share the same geographic location, they share the same symbolic "Center of the Universe" location?

Unless Outsiders come from an alternate universe made of anti-matter and/or a galaxy of said alternate universe made of the same (since current science can't tell which of the galaxies out there are matter vs. antimatter), it certainly wouldn't explain the properties of Mordite. Also, it doesn't really explain why they are so hard to affect with magic, if they are so symbolically linked to us.
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2012, 05:02:06 PM »
So your suggestion is that Outsiders are merely aliens from others planets in other alternate universes, who use some sort of connection between their Never Never and ours to reach our Earth because although their planet and ours don't share the same geographic location, they share the same symbolic "Center of the Universe" location?

Unless Outsiders come from an alternate universe made of anti-matter and/or a galaxy of said alternate universe made of the same (since current science can't tell which of the galaxies out there are matter vs. antimatter), it certainly wouldn't explain the properties of Mordite. Also, it doesn't really explain why they are so hard to affect with magic, if they are so symbolically linked to us.

well i doubt they are antimatter. they dotn explode, and neither do we. more like 'skewed magic'- they come from a world that has a very different form of magical energy then we do.

they eveolved in a different way, from a markedly different environment.

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »
You're basically suggesting that Outsiders come from a place more stable (for lack of a better term) than the Never Never. Maybe it's my reading of the Ender's Game series of books (and Homestuck), but I always pictured Outside as being less stable than the Never Never, rather than your current conjecture. I always saw Outside as being those aspects of reality that exist outside of space-time.

On the other hand, if you're right and Outsiders come from a place that has a parallel in our Universe, it might explain why a particular conjunction of stars could impact a human's magic to create an Outsiderbane.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2012, 06:47:13 PM »
I suspect Lash was gollum, actually.
Susans vampire spirit/half/mantle/demon actually.

Followed all the time unseen to get her precious (Susan/ Susans Soul/ Body). Took her precious just before she died. Taking her precious and dying was linked together and both were esential for fullfilling the quest.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

taishojojo

« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »
hmm new woj..

so while worlds remain at the center of the NN, its not allways the same world? innnnteresssting...

thats how the outsiders are getting here :)
Its all Snowflake theory... Jim's borrowing from Planetary on this one.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2012, 07:11:17 PM »
Its all Snowflake theory... Jim's borrowing from Planetary on this one.

I love planetary, bit im pretty sure the idea predates both. One thing about Warren Ellis and Jim Butcher is both of them are very good at giving fresh spins to old tropes.

robert heinlien was playing with this one back in the 60s, and im pretty sure he didnt invent it either.

;D

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 17, 2012, 07:48:21 PM »
You're basically suggesting that Outsiders come from a place more stable (for lack of a better term) than the Never Never. Maybe it's my reading of the Ender's Game series of books (and Homestuck)

The only real downside of being a Homestuck and also active on this forum is the continual mental snag of remembering which CD one is talking about, I'm finding.

but I always pictured Outside as being less stable than the Never Never, rather than your current conjecture. I always saw Outside as being those aspects of reality that exist outside of space-time.

Before CD I was inclined to tend in this direction, that they would be sort of chaotic in a Far Realm/Lovecraft/Titans/Chaos and Old Night sort of way.  Harry's assertion in CD that all Outsiders are really acting in concert sort of pulls away from that, though.  (Though I am not at all sure where Harry gets that idea from or how reliable it is; could equally well be his general conspiracy-theorist tendencies looking for another Theory Of Everything now that the "Black Council" being behind everything is scuppered.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 17, 2012, 07:53:09 PM »
The only real downside of being a Homestuck and also active on this forum is the continual mental snag of remembering which CD one is talking about, I'm finding.

Before CD I was inclined to tend in this direction, that they would be sort of chaotic in a Far Realm/Lovecraft/Titans/Chaos and Old Night sort of way.  Harry's assertion in CD that all Outsiders are really acting in concert sort of pulls away from that, though.  (Though I am not at all sure where Harry gets that idea from or how reliable it is; could equally well be his general conspiracy-theorist tendencies looking for another Theory Of Everything now that the "Black Council" being behind everything is scuppered.)

i suspect the outsiders are something like a divine virus, spreading from and consuming worlds.