Author Topic: Pancake Universe  (Read 29028 times)

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: A Badelynge of Quackiness, Part Two
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2012, 03:44:12 PM »
Ms. Duck and Knnn. I have no idea of phisics like you guys doing, but I got something your not considerating, that might or not affect your calculation.

Mab was there since december, so she was there since high winter, wouldn't it cost her less energy to maintain the low temperature it was alredy present during winter, than to "cool down" the temperature on may?

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2012, 04:25:12 PM »
Ms Duck,
The original Badelynge has been moved to the DFRC

As new Quackiness is generated, just say the word and the curators will facilitate its proper place in the Badelynge in a manor similar to how the "Pancake Universe" addition got in.  I like how the ongoing discussion of newer editions is contained in newer threads, so in general pratice, this topic will remain locked when not trying to open formation for new editions to the Badelynge.  -Serack

thanks boss!

Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »
Ms. Duck and Knnn. I have no idea of phisics like you guys doing, but I got something your not considerating, that might or not affect your calculation.

Mab was there since december, so she was there since high winter, wouldn't it cost her less energy to maintain the low temperature it was alredy present during winter, than to "cool down" the temperature on may?

almost cetainly, but it requires multi variable differental equations. I can do that..probably. but ti would be hard work, im way out of practice.

an easier solution is a 'boundary problem' where you set limits of what the actual answer would be.

for example, imagine you have this wierd blob shaped thingy and want to know its volume. you can either map it out entirely and derive it, or you can set 'boundary limits' - imagine a sphere smaller then it but close, and then say a sphere a bit bigger but close, and well know that the actual value is between those two.

My boundary limits are around 10^17- 10^22 joules

Knnn hasnt specified thiers yet, but im thinking more like 10^13- 10^18

we are debating which range is best, im willing to halve the differnece and call it 10^16- 10^18

thus we know Mab's power is somewhere in between 'can fllatten Texas' and ' can flatten all of Europe'.

harrys power when i do it will be the same sort of range, Im thinking:

circa PG- can flatten a car
circa TC- can flatten a house
circa now.. could take out a decent skyscraper?

the fun part is if Knnn, Elegast and I can come up with ranges that we think are reliable, we can then use them to answer some long term arguments..

like just how scary is a black court, anyway?

(im thinking 'xmen' level for mavra right now and 'flying brick' for an elder, but MATH must be done.)

;)
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2012, 05:23:42 PM »
I will admit that I have raised my estimate since doing all this math.  Given everything, I think a value of 10^17 joules is not an unreasonable starting point for the energy of the entire feat or keeping Chicago cool.  I personally think it's 100 times lower, Duck thinks 100 times higher.  We're in the right ballpark.

-------------------

The big difference between us is that I'm seeing it in terms of powerplants:  Mab = 1000 nuclear power plants. 

Duck is seeing it more in terms of a casting a single spell to produce the outcome -- giving you a single energy expenditure (i.e. a bomb):  Mab = 2,000,000 nuclear bombs.

-------------------

IMHO, looking at Mab as a powerplant gives you a better understanding of her capabilities.  I feel that computing the amount of power Mab can sustain is a better estimate of how powerful she is.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2012, 05:41:57 PM »
I will admit that I have raised my estimate since doing all this math.  Given everything, I think a value of 10^17 joules is not an unreasonable starting point for the energy of the entire feat or keeping Chicago cool.  I personally think it's 100 times lower, Duck thinks 100 times higher.  We're in the right ballpark.

-------------------

The big difference between us is that I'm seeing it in terms of powerplants:  Mab = 1000 nuclear power plants. 

Duck is seeing it more in terms of a casting a single spell to produce the outcome -- giving you a single energy expenditure (i.e. a bomb):  Mab = 2,000,000 nuclear bombs.

-------------------

IMHO, looking at Mab as a powerplant gives you a better understanding of her capabilities.  I feel that computing the amount of power Mab can sustain is a better estimate of how powerful she is.

actually i got that larger figure from assuming the total output fro three months. youre right, its a power plant, not a bomb; i was just putting bombs in as a way for non scientist people to visualize the output. its very hard to imagine what a power plant can do, but everyone understands this thing:

the question is Mab dropping one a week or one a day or one an hour... either which way, tis a power output no mortal wizard can match.

:)

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2012, 06:31:05 PM »
but everyone understands this thing:

:)

Baradur colapsing?

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2012, 10:10:19 PM »
only if the one ring was forged from uranium  ;)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2012, 01:42:30 AM »
hmm new woj..

Jim: 3) Everything revolves around /this/ earth, in the Dresden stories. But not necessarily around all (or even a majority of) the other earths that exist in the continuum of possibility created by free will. Other, parallel realities have other worlds playing a more central role, and some of them have earth in a nice quiet backwater, peaceful, relatively conflict free, and boring.

so while worlds remain at the center of the NN, its not allways the same world? innnnteresssting...

thats how the outsiders are getting here :)

wizard nelson

« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2012, 01:55:24 AM »
@ms duck. x-men for mavra and flying brick for elder? :o what jacked up world do you live in were a brick outguns the x-men?

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2012, 02:14:39 AM »
@ms duck. x-men for mavra and flying brick for elder? :o what jacked up world do you live in were a brick outguns the x-men?

the very geeky comic book/ sci fi kind.

a flying brick is the term for a kind of charchter that has certain very popluar and common powers that in and of themselves, makes no sense whatsoever:

flight
super strenght
invulnerability
super speed
super boobs (for females)

hence the term 'flying brick'

aka: superman, wonder woman, captain marvel, apollo, thor...

they are generally the strongest people in their respective comic book world- or at least, the strongest hero

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlyingBrick

other common charcters include:

glass cannon- cyclops, green fire, (Harry, Lea)
tank- hulk, thing, colossus (Magog, Tiny)
scrapper- spider man, wolverine (Thomas)
bad ass normal- batman, captain america (Murphy, Marcone)
magnificaent bastard- dr doom, lex luthor (Mab)

weve had every other main stay here, I suspect the Black Court is Jim's flying bricks- it fits their abilites and power levels nicely

wizard nelson

« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2012, 02:26:01 AM »
one problem with that, murphy is wonderwoman not batman :P

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2012, 02:33:04 AM »
one problem with that, murphy is wonderwoman not batman :P

well elaine is the one who amde the wonder woman joke in WN...

that being said, since murphy is not a 6' tall demi goddess with super stregth, speed, flight, super human weapons skills, and lesbian tendacies ill have to assume shes not ;)

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2012, 02:34:56 AM »
well elaine is the one who amde the wonder woman joke in WN...

that being said, since murphy is not a 6' tall demi goddess with super stregth, speed, flight, super human weapons skills, and lesbian tendacies ill have to assume shes not ;)
So Lara is Wonder Woman?  :o
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2012, 02:36:50 AM »
So Lara is Wonder Woman?  :o

that.. I could buy

actually, Lara is annother classic charchter..

Kinky female vampire

Jim is a very good writer, and quite entertaining, but he does tend to use classic charchter builds

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2012, 02:45:51 AM »
that.. I could buy

actually, Lara is annother classic charchter..

Kinky female vampire

Jim is a very good writer, and quite entertaining, but he does tend to use classic charchter builds
Agreed.  Lara isn't quite brick-like enough for me to be Wonder Woman in the big leagues.  Lea seems to be a better fit as we progress.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill