Author Topic: Pancake Universe  (Read 29440 times)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
Pancake Universe
« on: December 12, 2012, 10:23:03 PM »
A Pancake in a Sphere of Jell-O

Introduction
   We are geeks. And we often wonder ‘who can beat who?’ Jim is a geek, and he sometimes answers. We now know some gods are stronger than others, and some gods are much, much stronger than others. We know that if Mab fought the Erlking, the entire wild hunt, and all the Denarians it would be a game of whack a mole. But being geeks, we wonder why? What is it that makes Mab so much stronger then Odin, and makes Uriel so much stronger then Mab?
   A while back I compiled a rough list, of the approximate magical powers of these beings, based on real world equivalents (in Joules):
    Harry: 10^7th (can throw lightning, blast some houses to pieces)
    Eb: 10^11 (create minor earthquakes, level whole buildings)
    Lea: 10^17 (power enough to level cities) (lesser god)
    Mab: 10^18-10^20 (power of a major hurricane, can change climate on a large scale)(major god)
    solar energy, one day 5*10^22
    asteroid that killed dinosaurs: 5*10^23
    solar output, per second: 3.8*10^26
    power of the death star: 2*10^32 (destroy small planets)(greater god?)
    doomsday machine: 5*10^41 (destroy big planets)
    Galactus approx.: 6.9*10^41 (cosmic god?)
    observable galaxy: 10^59
    what harry thinks Uriel is, minimum: 10^62
    the big G god: over 10^68 (aka, the observable universe)
   Now one thing this list does show is that everyone Lea level and over is a ‘nuclear armed power’ as Jim refers to things. You don’t start wars with nuclear states, because there can’t be a winner. What you do is use agents, proxy wars, small conflicts, and negotiations to solve your conflicts.
On the Origins of Magic
   In the DF, magic is a natural force. It originates form living things, emotions of living things, and by Word of Mother Winter, it is conserved like any other source of power. Therefore, as it comes from life, its total amount on earth must be less than the total amount of energy available on earth, about 274 million Giga watts per year. This sounds like an absurd amount, but realize it’s just a tiny fraction of the power some of these ‘god’ appear to have. How then does one explain this? Either Magic is not conserved, or beings are able to draw on more than one world.
The NN is vast
   We know from Jim the NN expands outwards, from the Earth, to the edge of the moon. We know it is a sphere, and can conclude this is the limit of magical energy radiated from the life on earth. We know from Bob that it exists in far more than the four dimensions humans can normally perceive, and from discussions about precognition we can speculate that higher beings in it can perceive alternate pasts, presents, and futures. First, how big is it?
   Even in conventional dimensions its huge: 237 *10^5th cubic Km… that’s enough for over 23,460 earths even if we just assume normal reality. In 11 dimensions, the number becomes insane.. 9,188,2801,591,004,303,761,991,879,201,232,836,019,976,271,010,838,154,206,141 possible alternate earths. Well, there is your power source.
Conclusion

Imagine a circle, or a pancake if you will; this is the radius of the NN in our reality. then imagine a cylinder, a giant stack of pancakes; this is the multiverse.

Some entities, such as the Red Court, feed off only small bites. Others, worldwide beings such as Mab, feed off of a harvest drawn from entire worlds. Still others feed off of collections of worlds, or possibly empires in the thousands or millions of worlds. Scaling upwards, there are beings that eat entire grand slams worth of pancakes on a regular basis. What can we draw from such things?

First, such beings don’t compete over individual worlds with all their power, it simply not worth it to risk upsetting the table over a single pancake. Instead they send agents, who hire local talent, and have a negotiated game- the influence you can exert over each world is equivalent to the number of worshipers you have. That’s why the classical gods left and the Abrahamic god took over; he won a round of the great game.

Second the outsiders are very likely just that- from outside. Imagine another world, much like our own, but in another part of the galaxy. Imagine one god there won. It owns all the pancakes. But now its still hungry, and wants more. It’s sending expeditions out to find new pancakes to eat.
This would imply either it’s only attacking our pancake now, or on each pancake, there is a Mab or Mab equivalent who is in charge of the local defense. I’m heading to the latter.. as it would explain why Mab has more power than any other local god, and why she gets power from her purpose. The ‘UN’ of Cosmic Gods is feeding Mab power to help with her ‘local defense’ much like how a superpower would send aid to a local power in the real world.

The UN isn’t going to get involved at this stage, because they don’t want to start an all-out war between worlds. This is why none of the cosmic powers were involved in Cold Days. At the same time, the outsiders are going to be trying to get them involved, because they think the superpowers are liable to start fighting amongst themselves, and thus cause chaos and let them in.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 04:41:19 PM by Serack »
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: A Badelynge of Quackiness, Part Two
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline Elegast

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:37:06 PM »
In 11 dimensions, the number becomes insane.. 9,188,2801,591,004,303,761,991,879,201,232,836,019,976,271,010,838,154,206,141 possible alternate earths.

Off-topic, but I'd like to know the equations behind this number... (I suspect an error ;D)
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 10:38:12 PM »
Off-topic, but I'd like to know the equations behind this number... (I suspect an error ;D)

volume of an 11 dimensional sphere divided by volume of the earth, im KM

and errors are possible, i did it on a web calc

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:38:59 PM »
So, wouldn't the outsiders be like from the mexican restaurant down the street and stacks of enchiladas?  Pancakes make look good after an eternity of eating just enchiladas!
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 10:41:10 PM »
So, wouldn't the outsiders be like from the mexican restaurant down the street and stacks of enchiladas?  Pancakes make look good after an eternity of eating just enchiladas!

I may use this.

now imaging Cthulu..eating enchilladas

Serrack, if you see this, is there any way i can unlock the orignal thread? id like to merge them, for OCD sake.  :D

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 10:43:15 PM »
volume of an 11 dimensional sphere divided by volume of the earth, im KM

I thought so.  8)

That would lead to a vast overestimation of the actual result, as those extra dimensions are non-euclidian (or we would notice their existence in everyday life).

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
I may use this.

Serrack, if you see this, is there any way i can unlock the orignal thread? id like to merge them, for OCD sake.  :D

Done.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 10:49:21 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 11:08:16 PM »
I may use this.

the job got did, but a proper "invocation" requires the correct spelling (seeing as to how I find them using the forum search engine)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 11:10:37 PM »
sorry!

;)

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 11:14:11 PM »
Question:

since you use the multi-verse to explain the power of our Mab, does that imply that there is only one Mab?

BTW, do you still possess the post where Mab's power is evaluated?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:16:59 PM by Elegast »

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 11:29:22 PM »
Here comes my own theory on the energy problem:

I suspect something strange is going on with souls. The way I read it, souls contain a lot of energy: soulfire Harry can break MW's will.

Then where does that energy comes from:
insane theory 1:: the conservation of energy is not respected  ;D. That would explain why free will is possible, and why mortals can open the  Gates (they can break physics, the only way for free will to exist).

insane theory 2: souls are connected to another reality, from where they draw energy. After all, souls to leave our reality once there are not in a body.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:35:34 PM by Elegast »

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 11:34:02 PM »
Question:

since you use the multi-verse to explain the power of our Mab, does that imply that there is only one Mab?

BTW, do you still possess the post where Mab's power is evaluated?

id have to dig. its the power inherint in a full force blizzard, in one second. I got it from a government website.

as to the ammount of energy in a soul, that would conflict with what mother winter said..and shes been eating souls since the invention of mud

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 11:37:37 PM »
as to the ammount of energy in a soul, that would conflict with what mother winter said..

What did she say?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:41:10 PM by Elegast »