Author Topic: Pancake Universe  (Read 29396 times)

wizard nelson

Re: A Badelynge of Quackiness, Part Two
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2012, 06:59:10 AM »
eh? "say hello to my... MINIGUN!" *motor starts to whirl*
seriously i'd go with something like a claymore trap. 'hot iron for the ms's?'

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2012, 07:10:09 AM »
*snip*
dont worry, im sure we can take her. all it will take is one iron bullet, right? um, peeps? who wants to shoot first?

;D

It's calcs like these that are the source of my "supernatural side stomps mortals in a fight" view....

And sure, if I get her full consent to do so in written form promising no form of vengeance (in more precise terms than that). Other than that, no way. ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:12:29 AM by TheCuriousFan »
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

wizard nelson

« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2012, 07:19:11 AM »
yea but mortals don't fight fair, especially if we wanna survive

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2012, 07:21:32 AM »
yea but mortals don't fight fair, especially if we wanna survive

Neither do supernatural fighters, but that's for another thread.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2012, 07:27:33 AM »
I don't suppose you feel up to doing a calculation on the energy that Harry had to use in order to create the iceberg in Cold Days, do you?

Turning a 6 foot deep volume of water (I don't know the exact square footage of the portion of the building that fell into the lake but it was big enough to result in a very significant volume of water/ice) into ice should be one hell of a lot of energy.  Water doesn't like to change temperature easily. :(

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2012, 07:30:49 AM »
I don't suppose you feel up to doing a calculation on the energy that Harry had to use in order to create the iceberg in Cold Days, do you?

Turning a 6 foot deep volume of water (I don't know the exact square footage of the portion of the building that fell into the lake but it was big enough to result in a very significant volume of water/ice) into ice should be one hell of a lot of energy.  Water doesn't like to change temperature easily. :(

Speaking of iceburgs, I have to wonder why he didn't try to use the heat from the water he froze around Sharkface's barge to cook Sharkface.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2012, 07:31:57 AM »
It's calcs like these that are the source of my "supernatural side stomps mortals in a fight" view....

And sure, if I get her full consent to do so in written form promising no form of vengeance (in more precise terms than that). Other than that, no way. ;D

It seems obvious to me that starting somewhere around Mab's level of bad-assery that supernatural beings are far more limited by rules than they are by ability or internal power levels.

Once you have the power to will an end to life on earth the measuring of power becomes somewhat irrelevant.  Sort of like making bigger and bigger nuclear bombs.  Unless someone makes one that can split the Earth open like a gourd then it really doesn't matter if one nuke is more powerful than another.

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2012, 07:34:18 AM »
Speaking of iceburgs, I have to wonder why he didn't try to use the heat from the water he froze around Sharkface's barge to cook Sharkface.

Opposite magic from what he did in White Night.

He didn't suck the heat energy out of the water (with the ice being a by-product of his magic) - he poured winter cold into the water (with the ice being the intended result).

BTW, does anyone else get a nifty 'fuel/air bomb' type of vision when reading some of the scenes where he is sucking power to use?  The lightning powered spell in Storm Front or the "sucking the heat out of things to power fire" spells in White Night as examples.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:36:28 AM by madness »

wizard nelson

« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2012, 07:35:07 AM »
good point, he does it quite nicely in changes. maybe cause he's not moving ambient energy but creating cold power this time? it wouldn't have amounted to alot. plus has he been using fire much at all in CD?

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2012, 07:37:35 AM »
I think in Cold Days Harry was *powering* the creation of the ice. 

In the previous examples he was stealing power from the environment and the ice was just a byproduct.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2012, 07:39:25 AM »
Opposite magic from what he did in White Night.

He didn't suck the heat energy out of the water (with the ice being a by-product of his magic) - he poured winter cold into the water (with the ice being the intended result).

BTW, does anyone else get a nifty 'fuel/air bomb' type of vision when reading some of the scenes where he is sucking power to use?  The lightning powered spell in Storm Front or the "sucking the heat out of things to power fire" spells in White Night as examples.

Fair enough, though you have to wonder where the heat is going when he throws "spheres of condensed, absolute zero cold" at people.

And what do you mean fuel/air bomb vision?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:41:34 AM by TheCuriousFan »

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline salahaldin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2012, 08:58:05 AM »
ms duck, think you might be a little low on your power estimates, if only because any magic emanating from Mab (either by choice or by happenstance) should have been grounded by the water (ie the big damn lake). so any cold front would actually require much more energy (Im remembering molly and the fog and the fairies on jet-skies). I see it this way: if the cold front would usually take some amount of energy to create, and water counteracts this (both due to "leaching" the magic away and due to the high specific heat of water) Mab would have to use some amount of magic in serious excess to any calculation. we know that fairies are limited in their magic in/on/around water (see the above mentioned fog incident with the fairy assassins). Anyway, just my two cents.
Newbie, if the next two words out of your mouth aren't 'See ya' then the third word will be 'Oh my god. My crotch. You've punched me in my crotch.'

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2012, 08:58:25 AM »
Fair enough, though you have to wonder where the heat is going when he throws "spheres of condensed, absolute zero cold" at people.

And what do you mean fuel/air bomb vision?

I will make the science geeks cringe if I try to explain it but when a fuel/air bomb detonates it sucks in all of the air around it and then that oxygen creates a secondary (and larger) explosion.

When they used them on/in tunnels in Afghanistan they could kill people who weren't even burned (either the force of the oxygen being sucked down the tunnels or simply the lack of oxygen after the explosion uses it all).

It is just one of those visually fascinating reactions (sort of like some of the scenes in the movie backdraft or like the videos of a nuclear blast) that sticks in your mind. 

I just sort of get the same 'vibe' from the way that some of the acts of magic are described in the series.

wizard nelson

« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »
ms duck, think you might be a little low on your power estimates, if only because any magic emanating from Mab (either by choice or by happenstance) should have been grounded by the water (ie the big damn lake). so any cold front would actually require much more energy (Im remembering molly and the fog and the fairies on jet-skies). I see it this way: if the cold front would usually take some amount of energy to create, and water counteracts this (both due to "leaching" the magic away and due to the high specific heat of water) Mab would have to use some amount of magic in serious excess to any calculation. we know that fairies are limited in their magic in/on/around water (see the above mentioned fog incident with the fairy assassins). Anyway, just my two cents.
water seems to be mabs domain though, as she tells harry in GS and the lady in the lake act in DB.running water is different maybe, but is just a lake.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2012, 09:25:43 AM »
water seems to be mabs domain though, as she tells harry in GS and the lady in the lake act in DB.running water is different maybe, but is just a lake.

The lake is still a massive stopper for spells, it's part of why Demonreach was built there according to Odin IIRC.

Though she's probably a good enough water magic user that running water doesn't really bother her.

Rest in peace mdodd.