Author Topic: [Spoilers for all books] Theories index  (Read 55002 times)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
Re: [Spoilers for all books] Theories index
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »
No one cares about my previous post? :'(.
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline Elegast

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »
General
Maybe this is just happening to me but whenever I click the sources links they always direct me to the 1st page of the relevant thread. Wouldn't it be more convenient for the links to direct you to the page in which the theory is proposed?

It's on my to-do list.

If "only theories which have already been widely discussed/criticized by the community can be nominated" than why do many of the theories here not have links? Even if we can't find the original thread it was discussed in, shouldn't we at least be able to find a thread it was discussed in (presumably the one which made us decide that the theory has been widely discussed/criticized? Even if there are multiple threads discussing it and we can't find all of them, even one link is better than no links. Should we really have theories with no links here?

Yes.

Some old theories are widely known and deserve to be included, yet sometimes there is no living thread about them. But the main reason is a practical one: putting a link for each theory would demand an LOT of work. There are many theories, spread in many posts, and old threads are deleted after one year so the links would keep breaking and would require constant attention. And most of the post introducing a theory contain little more info than a one-sentence summary.

I included all the links to threads in the DFRC, as they won't disappear, and are of very high quality.

You'll notice that I include links to some threads in the DF spoilers section. I do so with threads I believe have a good chance of ending in the DFRC, or if I can directly copy-paste the link. It's basically an informal nomination thread.

Black Court
I would like to request that the "there is a link between the Black Court and the outsiders" rating have a bracketed sentence next to it that says that the theory changes to Highly Speculative if Harry meant Black Council and Black Court is a typo.

Done. I rated thinking there was a WOJ about the typo.

Blackstaff
I checked both the links to the "Blackstaff is MW's walking stick" theory and I don't think it deserves the Very Strong Evidence rating. Jim said that the WC stole the blackstaff from someone who really wants it back. This...does not narrow things down. The only indicator that we have that MW is the one who wants it back is that Jim is a self proclamed  "lazy writer". I'm not saying that the theory isn't strong, just that it doesn't deserve Very Strong Evidence status. I think that it should be changed to blue.

It's slightly overrated. But there is already a poll about it so I prefer to respect the results.

Blood Rites
Theory:The thing seen behind Kincaid could be a symbolic representation of Drakul.
EDIT: I think this quote from page 189 of the DFRPG: Our World, under the "Mavra" entry:
Pretty much debunks the "Mavra under veil seen in Sight behind Kincaid" theory.

I look into it, I don't have my copy of the DFRPG close at hand.

HW belts
Why is Raith making the HW belts rated Strong Evidence? We have seen no indication that he is a practitioner (in fact, he often recruits women to do magic for him) and Harry himself says that only about 3 people in the entire White Council could make them.

Done. I rated it before the Cenphx's threads.

Mothers Winter/Summer
The "they are God" theory doesn't have a rating (and since the G is capitalized, shouldn't it say the White God?).

Done.

Parasite
Theory: the parasite is Nemesis (this doesn't have to contradict the Walker theory either).

Added.

Swords
Theory: Faith Astor is going to take up Fidelacchius (link: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,35837.0.html) I know it doesn't have 3 pages of discussion but hey, at least I have a link.

Added.

Outsiders
The third Walker could also be called He-Who-Walks-Between.

Added.

Drakul
On page 77 of the DFRPG: Our World, under the "half demons" entry, the books says:
Note that they don't say he could be one or that he's probably one. They outright say he's one. Does this downgrade the rating of the "Drakul is the scion of a dragon" theory?

No. The rating is already low, and there is a WOJ behind the theory.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 04:32:26 PM by Elegast »
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »
No one cares about my previous post? :'(.

Just read it. I was too busy having fun last week.  ;D

wizard nelson

« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2013, 06:01:32 AM »
when jim had to switch DB and PG he intentionally created a time loop in the books, behind the scenes.
source-source-wizard nelson

Elegast i invoke thee to look at my updated theory.(i explain it better)
was hoping you'd take another look at this one if you please? i can update my original thread or create a new one if you want more imput or are unsure what i mean precisely... its complicated, sorta. but it ties into alot of other theories... i'm gonna update my thread actually... stuff to add anyways.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »

Yes.

Some old theories are widely known and deserve to be included, yet sometimes there is no living thread about them. But the main reason is a practical one: putting a link for each theory would demand an LOT of work. There are many theories, spread in many posts, and old threads are deleted after one year so the links would keep breaking and would require constant attention. And most of the post introducing a theory contain little more info than a one-sentence summary.

I included all the links to threads in the DFRC, as they won't disappear, and are of very high quality.

You'll notice that I include links to some threads in the DF spoilers section. I do so with threads I believe have a good chance of ending in the DFRC, or if I can directly copy-paste the link. It's basically an informal nomination thread.

Ah I see.

What do you think of me creating "compilation threads" for each of the theories that don't have sources (and are either Strong evidence Very strong evidence) and aiming to get them into the DF Reference Collection? I'd like to at least try. Not having sources for those theories bugs me (I may also try ones for Speculative if the previous attempt works).

It's slightly overrated. But there is already a poll about it so I prefer to respect the results.

If I created a new poll and it goes the other way, would you than change it (though there's the slight issue that I don't know how to create a poll...)?

I look into it, I don't have my copy of the DFRPG close at hand.

You don't trust me  :'( :P.

I can easily quote the whole paragraph here if you'd like.

Also, Harry also wonders if the figure behind Kincaid is Drakul on page 159 of Our World:

To my Sight, Kincaid looks enormous, malformed, silent, merciless, deadly. He has horns curling from his head, batlike wings, and a hideous double-image behind him that looks like the corpsespecter of Death himself (Drakul?). I don’t know if he’s soulgazeable, but I really don’t wanna find out. Just a glimpse with the Sight was enough for me.

Added.

Requesting that you also add "(the walker could also be Nemesis)" beside it.

Added.

You forgot to add my name to it (how do you do that anyways?)

No. The rating is already low, and there is a WOJ behind the theory.

Which one?

Also, could you add the "Drakul is the scion of a demon"? (

EDIT: Also found another reference for Drakul being the scion of a demon. It's on page 143 of Our World in the Freeholding Lords sidebar:

Vlad Drakul (NE)—a half-demon
scion; father of Vlad Tepesh Dracula

I'm wondering how to add sources for theories that only have a slice of text from the RPG to support them. I could use the method I proposed at the top of this post but creating a thread for such a small piece of evidence seems wastefull...getting threads like them into the DF Reference Collection would just clutter it up. Maybe we could make one thread for all the theories that only have small amounts of evidence (this could also work for Speculative and Highly Speculative theories)?

Just read it. I was too busy having fun last week.  ;D

All is forgiven  ;D  :P.

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »

What do you think of me creating "compilation threads" for each of the theories that don't have sources (and are either Strong evidence Very strong evidence) and aiming to get them into the DF Reference Collection? I'd like to at least try. Not having sources for those theories bugs me (I may also try ones for Speculative if the previous attempt works).

That would be a great idea.

If I created a new poll and it goes the other way, would you than change it (though there's the slight issue that I don't know how to create a poll...)?

Sure. Click on the button "New Poll", near the new topic button to create  a poll.

You don't trust me  :'( :P.

I do.  ;) I just want to see the context.

Requesting that you also add "(the walker could also be Nemesis)" beside it.

Done.

You forgot to add my name to it (how do you do that anyways?)

Like that:
Code: [Select]
[sup][url=http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php?action=profile;u=40787]Cenphx[/url][/sup]
Will add your name.

Which one?

It doesn't exist....  :-[

Also, could you add the "Drakul is the scion of a demon"? (

Done.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2013, 08:25:40 PM »
You missed a few things I edited into my post.

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2013, 08:35:53 PM »
I'm wondering how to add sources for theories that only have a slice of text from the RPG to support them. I could use the method I proposed at the top of this post but creating a thread for such a small piece of evidence seems wastefull...getting threads like them into the DF Reference Collection would just clutter it up. Maybe we could make one thread for all the theories that only have small amounts of evidence (this could also work for Speculative and Highly Speculative theories)?

We could. It would be cool to make one post per theory. I had the same idea, and already have made such a post as an experiment:

Faeries speak gaelic
(Arjan, Elegast)

Fairies and language
Quote from: Changes
someone whispering to me, something in a tongue I didnt understand-but I knew my queen's voice
Quote from: Summer Knight
Maeve drew herself up, her face shining with a sudden terrible beauty. She lifted her right hand, ring finger and thumb both bent, and murmured something in a liquid, alien tongue.
My godmother spoke something, a string of liquid syllables in a tongue I could not understand-but it made my knees turn rubbery and my fingers suddenly feel weak.

About speaking Russian:
Quote from: Changes
"Harry", he[Toot-toot] said, as if the question made no sense at all, "you just speak it"
Quote from: Wikipedia
The word fairy derives from Middle English faierie (also fayerye, feirie, fairie), a direct borrowing from Old French faerie (Modern French féerie) meaning the land, realm, or characteristic activity (i.e. enchantment) of the legendary people of folklore and romance called (in Old French) faie or fee (Modern French fée). This derived ultimately from Late Latin fata (one of the personified Fates, hence a guardian or tutelary spirit, hence a spirit in general); cf. Italian fata, Portuguese fada, Spanish hada of the same origin.
Fata, although it became a feminine noun in the Romance languages, was originally the neuter plural ("the Fates") of fatum, past participle of the verb fari to speak, hence "thing spoken, decision, decree" or "prophetic declaration, prediction", hence "destiny, fate". It was used as the equivalent of the Greek Μοῖραι Moirai, the personified Fates who determined the course and ending of human life.
[...]
Latin fata comes from the Indo-European root *bhã- "speak".

Gaelic

Quote from: Wikipedia
Most consonants have both palatal and non-palatal counterparts, including a very rich system of liquids, nasals and trills (i.e. 3 contrasting l sounds, 3 contrasting n sounds and 3 contrasting r sounds).
From:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic#Pronunciation

The daoine sìth are described in gaelic litterature after all:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidhe

Harry doesn't speak gaelic:
Quote from: Death Mask
Ebenezar spat something in what I presumed was Gaelic.

Mac Aodha (MacCoy) means son of Fire in Gaelic! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCoy_(surname)) I wonder if Harry's predilection for fire is a common trait in his bloodline.

Mab and Maeve are both forms of an old irish name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medb

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
That would be a great idea.

Sure. Click on the button "New Poll", near the new topic button to create  a poll.

I do.  ;) I just want to see the context.

Done.

Like that:
Code: [Select]
[sup][url=http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php?action=profile;u=40787]Cenphx[/url][/sup]
Will add your name.

It doesn't exist....  :-[

Done.

The context:

MAVRA

Mavra first appeared in the casefiles during the events of the Grave Peril case, working with Bianca St. Claire and Leonid Kravos to stir up trouble for both Harry Dresden and Michael Carpenter. And, as an old and powerful Black Court vampire, she can stir up a lot of trouble. She hates Michael for destroying her “children” and “grandchildren” over 20 years ago, so she planned to use the blood of an innocent (Lydia) to unmake his Sword Amoracchius. Thwarted in this, she disappeared for a time. She popped up again in the Blood Rites case, creating Renfields (page 84) in a homeless shelter. She was taken down by the efforts of Harry, Kincaid, Karrin Murphy, and Ebenezar McCoy. During the events of the Dead Beat case, she showed up again, forcing Harry to find The Word of Kemmler for her, under threat of sending blackmail photos of Murphy—taken while Murphy was working on the Blood Rites case—to the authorities. When Harry provided the book, he threatened her, and she initially laughed it off—until Harry outlined the lengths he’d go to just to get her, if she persisted. In addition to the vast Black Court vampire powers she has, Mavra seems to be skilled in magic. She is ridiculously adept at using Veils and is responsible for the “barbed wire” spells that afflicted Agatha Hagglethorn and Micky Malone. Furthermore, her command of mind magic is extensive.Mavra slender and pallid, with blue lips and hair like dried straw and bread mold. She looks exactly the same to the Sight as she does to normal vision.

Does that help?

Also, when you say that the WoJ doesn't exist, do you mean that it's like the "black court/council typo" WoJ?

We could. It would be cool to make one post per theory. I had the same idea, and already have made such a post as an experiment:

About speaking Russian: From:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy#Etymology

Gaelic
From:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic#Pronunciation

The daoine sìth are described in gaelic litterature after all:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidhe

Harry doesn't speak gaelic:
Mac Aodha (MacCoy) means son of Fire in Gaelic! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCoy_(surname)) I wonder if Harry's predilection for fire is a common trait in his bloodline.

Mab and Maeve are both forms of an old irish name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medb

Oooh that works pretty nicely (could use a little cleaning up though).  One possible roadblock is that we'd have to reserve a TON of posts considering how many theories like that there are and how many could come in the future. Perhaps some theories could be in the same post as other's?

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2013, 12:12:25 AM »
The context:

Does that help?

Thx.

Also, when you say that the WoJ doesn't exist, do you mean that it's like the "black court/council typo" WoJ?

No. The part about Drakul  being son of a Dragon was in a the question, not the answer from Jim...

Oooh that works pretty nicely (could use a little cleaning up though).  One possible roadblock is that we'd have to reserve a TON of posts considering how many theories like that there are and how many could come in the future. Perhaps some theories could be in the same post as other's?

Not such a big problem: you can put several theories in the same post and do several threads. And I can split/merge threads if necessary. Reserving 10 posts would probably be largely sufficient.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:59:08 AM by Elegast »

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2013, 12:31:48 AM »
when jim had to switch DB and PG he intentionally created a time loop in the books, behind the scenes.
source-source-wizard nelson

Elegast i invoke thee to look at my updated theory.(i explain it better)

I will look into it.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »
Do new theories get considered for addition to this reference?
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2013, 05:42:51 PM »
Do new theories get considered for addition to this reference?

Yes.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2013, 11:26:56 PM »
Yes.

Can I still suggest my own theories for consideration?
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2013, 05:06:40 PM »
Can I still suggest my own theories for consideration?

Of course.