Author Topic: [Spoilers for all books] Theories index  (Read 54909 times)

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: [Spoilers for all books] Theories index
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 08:16:59 PM »
I'm still new here, so if any of them don't qualify I'll let the experts judge. It's fine with me. Just thought I'd try to contribute any way I could.

Thx for helping. The truth is that no one on those board can tell with certitude the origine of every single theory.

1 and 4 are new, 3 was popular after Kincaid's remark in Blood Rites (Ms Duck may have been one of its advocate), never heard of 2, could you give a link?

2 is brand new, just thought of it so there is no link.  Thomas said to Bob in Backup that he might get a bullet in the head if the other Venatori found out he was telling Bob about the war. Made sense to me that Kincaid would be the one sent out to deliver that bullet,   
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Elegast

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 08:24:42 PM »
some of those are hard to define as 'your theories'

Let me quote from the forum policies:
--Acknowledge other people, assume good will, be quick to praise and slow to criticize, add knowledge, offer help, be slow to anger, apologize when wrong, politely ask for clarification, and exercise patience when your temper flares.

Example:
Thanks to Tami Seven for helping us build the theory index.
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 09:12:58 PM »
Example:

Thank you.  :)
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 09:15:23 PM »
There is a connection between whoever gave out the Hexenwulf belts in Fool Moon, the Love Hurt seat belts, and the Entropy curse in Blood Rites.  (knnn takes this one step further and theorizes that these items (and others, I think) came from a Dragon’s hoard. Therefore, you may consider my point subsumed into that topic—if so, ignore this post!!  :) )
April 29, 2012 (and December 6, 2012)
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,32068.msg1395892.html#msg1395892
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,32068.msg1396616.html#msg1396616
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,35556.msg1690086.html#msg1690086

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 09:21:49 PM »
There is a connection between whoever gave out the Hexenwulf belts in Fool Moon, the Love Hurt seat belts, and the Entropy curse in Blood Rites.  (knnn takes this one step further and theorizes that these items (and others, I think) came from a Dragon’s hoard. Therefore, you may consider my point subsumed into that topic—if so, ignore this post!!  :) )
April 29, 2012 (and December 6, 2012)
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,32068.msg1395892.html#msg1395892
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,32068.msg1396616.html#msg1396616
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,35556.msg1690086.html#msg1690086

Good point.

No need to give dates for threads which are already in the DF reference collection: the dates are there to save threads from autodelete, which deletes every thread after one year in the spoiler section.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:24:43 PM by Elegast »

wizard nelson

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2012, 09:36:35 PM »
Example:
its just that, for instance, five seconds after reading MS saying 'we' i said 'gaia'. i also declared wizards to have fae blood, without reading any threads about it. its cool an all i'm not a glory hog, i just wanted to point it out.

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 09:45:35 PM »
five seconds after reading MS saying 'we' i said 'gaia'.

It took me four seconds.  8)    ;D

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 01:09:46 AM »
I'm still new here, so if any of them don't qualify I'll let the experts judge. It's fine with me. Just thought I'd try to contribute any way I could.

Thx for helping. The truth is that no one on those board can tell with certitude the origine of every single theory.

1 and 4 are new, 3 was popular after Kincaid's remark in Blood Rites (Ms Duck may have been one of its advocate), never heard of 2, could you give a link?

I rember three - Harry not being fully human- but my ideas on it have been pretty fully discredited by now ( Jim said Oberon is dead, and my idea that Lea was Maggie sr 's mom is also toast)

anyone who wants to rebuild it after I got totaly flattened/trashed/ proved wrong is more than welcome to try :D
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 01:20:57 AM »
I don’t want to take credit for the ideas generated by others—it came up in my thread but the idea that Lash and a Walker might be battling in Harry’s head and causing the headaches (which appears in your “Headaches” topic in the Mystery Solving Theories) was proposed nearly in tandem by
J_M (http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php?action=profile;u=20165) and aShorty21 (http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php?action=profile;u=41139) here: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,35072.msg1676177.html#msg1676177

I feel like I am nitpicking you to death (like being nibbled to death by ducks, no offense to Ms. Duck). Do you want input like this or is it driving you crazy? You’re doing an awesome job with something the forum really needs and I am trying to help but can definitely pipe down if I am just gumming up the works!!

Offline Sydna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 01:24:21 AM »
Number one has been discussed before. They even went further and said Odin was Merlin's father. One reason Odin interested himself in Red Court business. It was even suggested the sacrifice could have taken him out.
Not by fire but by ice.

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 01:27:35 AM »
I feel like I am nitpicking you to death (like being nibbled to death by ducks, no offense to Ms. Duck). Do you want input like this or is it driving you crazy?

No you're right: proper attribution is really important, but it's really hard so I just guess with a quick search, until someone corrects me.  :)

Offline kytheros

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 10:57:12 AM »
I rember three - Harry not being fully human- but my ideas on it have been pretty fully discredited by now ( Jim said Oberon is dead, and my idea that Lea was Maggie sr 's mom is also toast)

anyone who wants to rebuild it after I got totaly flattened/trashed/ proved wrong is more than welcome to try :D
Harry not being fully human would have to either be from the paternal side, or something that Maggie LeFay had as well, and probablly Eb McCoy too, though likely they would have been unaware of their nonhuman side.
If, as the speculation goes, McCoy/Maggie/Dresden are blood descendants of Merlin (not just master/apprentice descendants), that's likely the most probable source for being partially nonhuman through Maggie, as in a whole lot of tales Merlin is some variety of nonstandard/partial human.

I think that Jim's precise wording regarding Oberon's fate was that he "didn't make it" ... which certainly implies that he's dead ... but I suppose he could be locked up somewhere unpleasant (Demonreach?) and unable to escape Mab/Titania's wrath.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2012, 02:59:01 PM »
its just that, for instance, five seconds after reading MS saying 'we' i said 'gaia'. i also declared wizards to have fae blood, without reading any threads about it. its cool an all i'm not a glory hog, i just wanted to point it out.

This is why I think that many of these indexed theories shouldn't be cited to a "single" theorizer.  Another example is that probably a majority of people who heard the WoJ about both Lasciel and Lash being in GS by other names immediately thought of the shadow for Lasciel, then vascillated between proxies in the graveyard and the Parasite for Lash.  IMO nobody owns/originated those theories because they are pratically self evident, however they do belong in the "Index" and it is nice to have a "reference" thread to associate with them that discusses all the merrits and evidence behind them since the index should be as brief as possible.

As someone who has built a few reference threads, there are a few grey areas for this concept for me.  The theory about something being fishy with Mort's hair and domicile is something that I find rather self evident, but I'm rather confident that I am the first person to point it out publically.  However, in the reference/source I most recently built to cover it, I acknoledged (Probably obliquely, I haven't reviewed it lately though) that the Beta's were aware of it before I was, and thus it isn't origional to me.  This is the best way I know of to deal with these grey areas.  That is, to have a "Reference"/"Source" link in the index that also acknoledges the other contributions to the theory.

This also goes a long ways towards furthering the forum policy Elegast pointed out earlier:
--Acknowledge other people, assume good will, be quick to praise and slow to criticize, add knowledge, offer help, be slow to anger, apologize when wrong, politely ask for clarification, and exercise patience when your temper flares.

The application of which is one of the reasons why these boards are such a great corner of the interwebs.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2012, 03:24:14 PM »
This is why I think that many of these indexed theories shouldn't be cited to a "single" theorizer.

It's a very difficult problem. Scientists spent hundreds of years trying to solve it, so we are not going to find a perfect solution anyway.

The problem is that many theories fit the same lifecycle: they start as a single sentence in a thread, then there are many discussion threads of increasingly high quality, then comes a discussion which is so good that all the info on the subject is gathered, then comes a reference thread which wrap-up everything in a single post. For the Blackstaff, the entire cycle took less than three weeks. Who should we credit?

I credited no one, as you can see, for the most basic assumption (Blackstaff is MW's walking stick), but I gave credit for derivative theories (MW is Death, Blackstaff=raven Banner). That's a very subjective process, any idea on how to improve it is welcome.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »
It's a very difficult problem. Scientists spent hundreds of years trying to solve it, so we are not going to find a perfect solution anyway.

The problem is that many theories fit the same lifecycle: they start as a single sentence in a thread, then there are many discussion threads of increasingly high quality, then comes a discussion which is so good that all the info on the subject is gathered, then comes a reference thread which wrap-up everything in a single post. For the Blackstaff, the entire cycle took less than three weeks. Who should we credit?

I credited no one, as you can see, for the most basic assumption (Blackstaff is MW's walking stick), but I gave credit for derivative theories (MW is Death, Blackstaff=raven Banner). That's a very subjective process, any idea on how to improve it is welcome.

Oh, lemebeclear, I think you are doing a great job, I just wanted to point all that out for the sake of all the citation suggestions that have been coming out.

This is a huge project that you are taking on, and the index framework that you have hashed out works really well (some committee input did take place, but you are the executor, and get to take ownership of the awesomeness of the results :) )
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*