Poll

Select if you think the statement is correct

The Blackstaff is Mother Winter's walking stick.
Mother Winter is Death.
The Blackstaff works by taking the tainted bits of soul.
The Blackstaff is the Raven Banner.

Author Topic: [CD spoilers] Mother Winter, the Blackstaff, Death and the Raven Banner  (Read 26567 times)

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: [CD spoilers] Mother Winter, the Blackstaff, Death and the Raven Banner
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 12:52:57 AM »
A raven or crow is more than affiliated with death or a symbol thereof; its considered a psychopomp or a being which helps guide the way between the land of the living and the land of the dead. Which makes it interesting that Harry saw the crow two different times on his way to MW's house in SK.    Also, regarding the iron teeth and shears, what if Death is another mantle and when MW took it up she became more than just fae with fae limitations.

Offline Elegast

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 12:58:25 AM »
A raven or crow is more than affiliated with death or a symbol thereof; its considered a psychopomp or a being which helps guide the way between the land of the living and the land of the dead. Which makes it interesting that Harry saw the crow two different times on his way to MW's house in SK. 

Good catch!

And Harry is actually guided by the raven toward Mother Winter's cottage:
Then we both started off after the raven.

So that would fit really well.
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 01:01:06 AM »
Her knight was stupid enough to lose her stick, she was so disgusted by those mortals she subcontracted the whole thing to Mab.

Possible, but note the WoJ concerning the Blackstaff--"Also, the White Council stole it from someone.  And they really want it back."  Assuming that Mother Winter was the original owner of the Blackstaff, this does not necessarily say that the White Council stole it from her, just that they stole it from the immediately-preceding owner, who may or may not have been Mother Winter.

That said, the second sentence, combined with Mother Winter's crankiness about the pain of walking without her stick, does suggest a direct connection.

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 01:16:17 AM »
Possible, but note the WoJ concerning the Blackstaff--"Also, the White Council stole it from someone.  And they really want it back."  Assuming that Mother Winter was the original owner of the Blackstaff, this does not necessarily say that the White Council stole it from her, just that they stole it from the immediately-preceding owner, who may or may not have been Mother Winter.

Yes. If the Blackstaff is linked to the raven banner, it was lost on the field, which seems more credible than the WC taking it directly from Mother Winter, as the whole WC is approximatively at Mab's level, and Mother Winter is far more powerful than Mab.

It may be the reason why she hasn't taken it back: it's has been taken through death and battle, so maybe the WC "earned" it in some strange value system.

Offline jyn8462

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 01:29:33 AM »
You do present a good argument for MW not being Fae in some sense, or for the office of Winter's Eldest being like the office of Knight (in that Harry can handle iron, he only has problems if it penetrates his skin).
I feel it should be said that the knights have to be mortals, that's the point, that is why Harry can handle Iron. If the mantle of Mother Winter had been passed to a mortal, say to a changeling then that person would have gotten transformed into a fey
(click to show/hide)
He didnt really die, he was just busy boinking a force of nature, which is bound to mess with your natural rhythms.
I have lexdysia (give it a minute it'll come to you) so spelling and I are on occasional speaking

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 01:39:19 AM »
I feel it should be said that the knights have to be mortals, that's the point, that is why Harry can handle Iron. If the mantle of Mother Winter had been passed to a mortal, say to a changeling then that person would have gotten transformed into a fey
(click to show/hide)

Odin was not transformed into a fae (his entire office is in stainless steel...). That's because he was a god in the first place. If Mother Winter is Death, there is no reason she became a faerie.

Offline jyn8462

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 01:42:17 AM »
Odin was not transformed into a fae (his entire office is in stainless steel...). That's because he was a god in the first place. If Mother Winter is Death, there is no reason she became a faerie.
but is he an actual member of the fae court the way Mab and Mother Winter are?
He didnt really die, he was just busy boinking a force of nature, which is bound to mess with your natural rhythms.
I have lexdysia (give it a minute it'll come to you) so spelling and I are on occasional speaking

Offline Dust Bunny

• Conversationalist
  • Next stop, Looneyville!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 01:44:13 AM »
but is he an actual member of the fae court the way Mab and Mother Winter are?

No, but I can see the logic. If MW was Death, becoming a Fae would actually be a step down in power for her.
The Official "Mod Monday" request and petition. A way to remind the Mods that we appreciate them.

Caeculus

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 02:00:35 AM »
Odin probably gains the Fae's weakness to iron only when he dons the mantle of Kringle. I think he also actually becomes a Fae at that time.
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline Dust Bunny

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 02:06:03 AM »
Odin probably gains the Fae's weakness to iron only when he dons the mantle of Kringle. I think he also actually becomes a Fae at that time.

If he had, wouldn't getting smacked with the Winchester have burned/poisoned him?
The Official "Mod Monday" request and petition. A way to remind the Mods that we appreciate them.

Caeculus

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 02:07:10 AM »
If he had, wouldn't getting smacked with the Winchester have burned/poisoned him?

Was the part of the Winchester that he got smacked with made of mostly iron? I know nothing about guns...
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline Dust Bunny

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 02:24:21 AM »
Was the part of the Winchester that he got smacked with made of mostly iron? I know nothing about guns...

I don't have my copy handy, so I don't remember if Kringle got smacked with the stock or the barrel. (The stock would be wood, the barrel steel--and the stock may or may not have a steel butt-plate on it as well, depending upon the model.)

Caeculus

Offline jyn8462

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 02:34:50 AM »
I don't have my copy handy, so I don't remember if Kringle got smacked with the stock or the barrel. (The stock would be wood, the barrel steel--and the stock may or may not have a steel butt-plate on it as well, depending upon the model.)
He never actually gets hit with the gun, Harry uses it to block he sword and when he is on top of him holds it like a club, but he doesn't hit him with it. [Cold Days, 404]

Offline Dust Bunny

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 02:37:45 AM »
He never actually gets hit with the gun, Harry uses it to block he sword and when he is on top of him holds it like a club, but he doesn't hit him with it. [Cold Days, 404]

Ahah! So the question of whether or not Kringle suffers from contact with Bane is still unanswered.

Thanks for the quote and clarification. :)

Caeculus

Offline jyn8462

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 02:55:59 AM »
Ahah! So the question of whether or not Kringle suffers from contact with Bane is still unanswered.

Thanks for the quote and clarification. :)
I just want to ask his, but is Kringle a mantle, like the Knight of Winter/Summer, or is it just a mask for Odin when he feels like it?

I mean it makes some sense for Kringle to be Odin's invention, Odin was the "father" of the Norse Gods IIRC and they were a very cold group, and I think I can recall stories that Odin rewarded those who were good and punished the wicked (naughty) so there could be some room there for dumbing down the idea for children and to make it seem nicer, but there are some old stories that say Father Christmas wasn't associated with either gift giving or children until recently (we're talking hundred or more years), so that could mean the mask/persona that Odin made has been reinterpreted by people and co-opted into the christmas mythos.

But again I'm not really clear on the distinction between the mantle of Kringle as a idea vs the idea that Odin was just wearing an illusion (probably a very good one if he could do it around fae and have them at least play along with it) hat he created sometime in the past for some reason.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 03:01:34 AM by jyn8462 »