Author Topic: Dialogues with Portents and Parents  (Read 19601 times)

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dialogues with Portents and Parents
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
Anyone can post their own copies of excerpts in a response to this topic and I (or another curator *looks significantly at knnn*) can paste them into the proper cronology of the OP.

Challenge accepted!  ;D
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 08:50:38 PM »
I looked around and confirmed (as much as I can) that those bits are not actually in any of the common translations of the Bible, so I think they are more foreshadowing.

I thought we concluded it was a weird mash-up of Corinthians 13:4-13, the Necronomicon, and Genesis 1:1.
I see where you posted that theory, but the thread as a whole devolved into a discussion of the nature of the Wampire weaknesses and Faith in general, and never really made any conclusions on the original topic.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 08:54:13 PM »
I see where you posted that theory, but the thread as a whole devolved into a discussion of the nature of the Wampire weaknesses and Faith in general, and never really made any conclusions on the original topic.

Fair enough.  I suppose that even if the quotes are all there, the fact that Thomas quotes em all together means that someone in the White Court has a really unique Bible lying around.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 08:56:59 PM »
Fair enough.  I suppose that even if the quotes are all there, the fact that Thomas quotes em all together means that someone in the White Court has a really unique Bible lying around.
And the Necronomicon does exist in world.  IN fact, it was mentioned in the same book, as something the White Council had published to de-power some rituals it contained.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline ImpishMortal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Ebon Gryphon Games
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 10:05:56 PM »
Serack, might you also consider adding Patterns to the title of this thread? There seem to be many patterns of significance, be they in-verse or of the meta variety.

So far, we have the Denarians recurring every five books and a few others that escape me. Although I think with Cold Days Jim has established that in another seven books, we'll have a book taking place on Halloween. How fitting would that be to kick off the end?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 10:13:08 PM »
Serack, might you also consider adding Patterns to the title of this thread? There seem to be many patterns of significance, be they in-verse or of the meta variety.

So far, we have the Denarians recurring every five books and a few others that escape me. Although I think with Cold Days Jim has established that in another seven books, we'll have a book taking place on Halloween. How fitting would that be to kick off the end?
The patterns Ive heard mentioned are that the Nickleheads show up every 5 books, Vampires feature every 3, and that elaine was supposed to show every 5 books after the fourth (ie 4, 9, 14, etc, but Cold days broke that pattern so it doesnt seem to fit anymore).

There is also technically the whole Tarot theory, but Jim claims he has way too much to keep track of to worry about that level of abstraction, and that its an instance of people reading into things after the fact the way english teachers love to do.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 10:17:52 PM »
What about the scene where the woman's hand Harry felt in SF which seemed to help turn him from dark magic outside Victor Sells' house? I know that there are different theories as to who that was, but given that Harry's mother was a possibility, do you want to include it and similar scenes?

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:15 PM »
Here is what I have so far for SmF.  I left out some of the ones that seemed to pertain purely to SmF, but if needed I can add them in later.  I tried to pay particular attention to things that faeries said because of their truth restriction.
(click to show/hide)

Edited to more closely match formatting and condense everything into a book tag for easy cut and paste.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:06:06 PM by Second Aristh »
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 10:39:47 PM »
@Second Aristh--your earlier post made me want to read the scene from SmF again. There's one line you left out which seems like its foreshadowing the next book and might be referencing nemesis. After Nicodemus asks Harry if he is sure Hellfire was used at Arctis Tor, Nic starts this exchange: " 'Interesting. Then the only question is if the contamination is among the standing members of our Order or...' He let the thought trail off and glanced at me, lifting an eyebrow. I followed the logic to the only other people in possession of any of the coins. 'Someone in the church,' I whispered, with a sick feeling in my stomach.". Then Nic taunts Harry that they may shortly be on the same side...

Offline Silkki

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 10:44:36 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I think this makes a nice pairing with Nic in DB.

"You don't want to see what you are,--  You are lying to yourself.  You pretend to be like any other mortal because you are too terrified to admit that you aren't."

I know this is not place for discussion, but if you want to link those two together, feel free : )

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 10:45:33 PM »
“Mab showed me her snow-white teeth.  “The Watchman and I,” Grimalkin mewled for her, “had a common enemy this day.  The enemy could not be allowed to gain the power represented by the child Archive.

What a quote!

May I redirect this conversation toward this thread;)
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 11:06:20 PM »
@Second Aristh--your earlier post made me want to read the scene from SmF again. There's one line you left out which seems like its foreshadowing the next book and might be referencing nemesis. After Nicodemus asks Harry if he is sure Hellfire was used at Arctis Tor, Nic starts this exchange: " 'Interesting. Then the only question is if the contamination is among the standing members of our Order or...' He let the thought trail off and glanced at me, lifting an eyebrow. I followed the logic to the only other people in possession of any of the coins. 'Someone in the church,' I whispered, with a sick feeling in my stomach.". Then Nic taunts Harry that they may shortly be on the same side...
Added
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 09:43:34 PM »
Here is a post I made last year that covers very similar things to yours.

So through the course of the series, during the narrative, Harry has mentioned (insert rediculiously stupid thing to do "A"), and later in the series he inevitably ends up doing "A" or some derivative thereof. 

I thought I'd like to make a list of these "Premonitions" that have happened through the course of the story, and try to come up with another list of potential things that might be premonitions of things that will happen later. 

Fufilled premonitions
  • SF: Santa is a pretty powerful fae, summoning him and trapping him in a circle would take some pretty big brass ones*
        DB: Harry summons the Erlking, the Summer counterpart to Winter's Santa, and traps him in a circle
  • GP:  (Susan, when Harry had trouble saying "I love you") "I'm going to get you to start talking if it kills you."
        GP:  Harry brings Susan back from Half Rampire bloodlust and brakes Lea's memory stealing spell by saying "I love you" and within minutes dies and has to be necessitated by Susan.
  • GP: "So would killing every vampire on the planet. What's your point?"
        Changes: Well, you know
  • SK: Harry sees Ebenezer enter White Council politics to save his former apprentice's neck and thinks it's a bad move on Eb's part
        PG: Harry enters into the White Council political fray to save his future apprentice's neck
  • SK: Harry turns down Maeve's offer to pay for information by sleeping with Jenny Greenteeth because (amongst other reasons) he'd never be OK with leaving the child that would result with monsters/fae and for others to raise. 
        DM & Changes:  Harry has a child that ends up being raised by someone else without his knowledge, and it gets taken by monsters
  • SK: Mab offers Harry a job as Winter Knight
        Changes: Harry becomes the WK
  • PG: "You mean I'd have to die?"
        Changes: Well, you know

Potential Premonitions
  • DM: Nichodemus offers Harry a position as a Denarian
  • WK: "Who knows, you might make me into a saint.  Or as close to one as I could get, anyway."
  • WK: "Defeat the whole damn White Court now.  Worry about taking on Hell later."
  • SmF: "Even assuming I was stupid enough to go anywhere with you for an hour, much less a week, I saw how you treated Cassius.  I'm not real eager to slide my nameplate onto his office door"
  • Changes:  On what people value in a home:  "I'd rather have my extra meaning come from an ancient burial ground under the swimming pool or from knowing that I built it with my own hands or something." (Ch. 24)
  • Changes: "I'd have to kill a lot of people outright, if I wanted to use the Darkhallow."

Premonitions involving other characters
SmF:  Harry:  “Yeah. You’re a saint.”
“One day,” Nicodemus said. “One day.”
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 01:57:50 PM »
Man, I thought I had saved the original version of that in the DFRC.

Especially since it's one of the posts saved on my hard drive.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 04:02:37 PM »
Bump, apparently I let this fall off the back of my todo pile.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*