Poll

Is Cowl Simon Petrovich?

YES
NO

Author Topic: [CD spoilers] Cowl = Simon reference thread  (Read 57132 times)

Offline Silkki

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: [CD spoilers] Cowl = Simon reference thread
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2012, 12:16:30 AM »
Lets keep Molly Mab discussions to those 10 theads made about that already.  ;D

One thing that jumps to mind is that Cowl uses gloves. Might be that his hands have scars like his arms do and he is using gloves to cover them up. (He revealed the scars in his arms only when he was already assured of his ascension to godhood)

My point being, do we know any other characters that have been mentioned to use gloves. Like any wizard, warden, denarian... anything?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 12:20:16 AM by Silkki »

Offline XoVeR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2012, 12:44:22 AM »
I hope Simon is Cowel because it would be utterly hilarious that one of the major bad guys in the Dresden verse is the biggest ass hat in TV.

Simon Cowell from American Idol fame.

I can see Jim Butcher doing something like this

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 12:56:43 AM »
If anything, I'm leaning more toward Cowl being alternate universe Harry.  I've hated that theory for a long while, but I find it more practical than it being Simon.

That being said, I'm still holding out that its Cristos, an unknown wizard, a Fomor, or something else.

Offline Kaira

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 09:04:55 PM »
If anything, I'm leaning more toward Cowl being alternate universe Harry.  I've hated that theory for a long while, but I find it more practical than it being Simon.

That being said, I'm still holding out that its Cristos, an unknown wizard, a Fomor, or something else.

I agree, I don't think it makes much sense that Simon = Cowl, or really that any of the 'blank = blank' theories hold much water.  Also, wasn't Simon Russian? Wouldn't Cowl then have a Russian accent? And why would a former SC member be trying to summon Darkhallow and summon Outsiders/ghouls in WN?

Offline Elegast

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 09:09:12 PM »
Wouldn't Cowl then have a Russian accent? And why would a former SC member be trying to summon Darkhallow and summon Outsiders/ghouls in WN?

The accent is hard to judge as Cowl has an unnatural voice. And why?
He's infected and wants to save the world (he still sees himself as an altruist).
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 09:09:18 PM »
Im placing a small bet on the lovecraft connection- Cowl is a deep one/ formor. that being said, they can pass for human, with some frog like features. If Simon was Cowl, id think Jim would have had Eb mutter about how much he misses his old bug eyed friend.

Im still putting a bet on wizard Lucciozi, who caused Eb to flinch in SK.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Elegast

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »
Im placing a small bet on the lovecraft connection- Cowl is a deep one/ formor. that being said, they can pass for human, with some frog like features. If Simon was Cowl, id think Jim would have had Eb mutter about how much he misses his old bug eyed friend.

A fomor?

How did he summon an Outsider? (no proof but probable)
How did he know about Bob?
Why is a fan of Goethe?
Why does he uses 'Dorosh' as keyword for his magic?
Who was the traitor in Archangel?
Why Harry says he's human?
Why Lea accepted a gift from an enemy?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:17:41 PM by Elegast »
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline Phobos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 09:20:12 PM »
Im still putting a bet on wizard Lucciozi, who caused Eb to flinch in SK.

I think Eb was flinching because he knew his name was next on the list for potential SC members. Something he has turned down several times, if I recall correctly, and he hates the politics.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »
A fomor?

How did he summon an Outsider? (no proof but probable)hes of mortal blood
How did he know about Bob?saw him in GP
Why is a fan of Goethe?why not?
Why does he uses 'Dorosh' as keyword for his magic?
Who was the traitor in Archangel?the clerk
Why Harry says he's human?deep ones can pass for human
Why Lea accepted a gift from an enemy?see above
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2012, 11:50:46 PM »
That would mean a least a hundred wizards before McCoy on the seniority list.

That's simply not possible, as I cannot see how no one among those one hundred would accept a position as prestigious and powerful as SC member.

I dunno -- I'd imagine most wizards in their second or third century have a lot of things going on in their lives.  Why would they want the hassle of Supreme Council work?  Keep in mind how often the SC members seem to be working at Edinburgh, or on whatever new crisis is facing the White Council.  Think of all the paperwork.

Remember that the "hundred or so" wizards ahead of McCoy on that list didn't show up to the meeting at all.  And why would they?  Some silly war with the Red Court?  A passing nothing to a three hundred year old wizard.

The White Council wizards we meet are all either Senior Council members themselves or wardens (or occasionally random audience members at meetings).  They are *exactly* the wizards who *do* care about the White Council.  I have to believe the vast majority are more like Elaine, except they pay nominal lip service to the Council when they think about it at all, every few decades.

Heck, Ebenezar was involved enough to be the Blackstaff, and he still didn't want to be on the SC -- he'd turned it down several times.  He only joined at this point because Simon was dead, and if Eb hadn't stepped up, Harry would have been killed.  Not hard to believe that most wizards of Eb's generation feel the same way.  Set in their ways and happy to go about their own business without all the hassle.

Offline Krika

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2012, 12:16:23 AM »
Cowl is Harry Dresden.

As Simon Cowl? 1 - Very obvious. 2 - Harry does not know Simon. Harry believes that Simon is dead. He (Simon) may not appear in the Council. Why would he need to disguise his voice then? Or even hide from everyone? 3 - The Cowl height is never mentioned (nor Kumori) 4 - Does anyone remember the prostitute in DB, that it was strange looking at Harry. As if she had seen a version minutes before. 5 - Cowl can open paths in Nevernever. As Harry, now. 6 - The magic of Cowl is tarnished. As the magic of Harry.
Cowl is Harry from the future to something we'll find out later.

Offline Kaira

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2012, 03:29:08 AM »
Cowl is Harry Dresden.

As Simon Cowl? 1 - Very obvious. 2 - Harry does not know Simon. Harry believes that Simon is dead. He (Simon) may not appear in the Council. Why would he need to disguise his voice then? Or even hide from everyone? 3 - The Cowl height is never mentioned (nor Kumori) 4 - Does anyone remember the prostitute in DB, that it was strange looking at Harry. As if she had seen a version minutes before. 5 - Cowl can open paths in Nevernever. As Harry, now. 6 - The magic of Cowl is tarnished. As the magic of Harry.
Cowl is Harry from the future to something we'll find out later.

I kind of love this theory.  It would be really interesting if at some point Harry changed so much in his life that he kind of....split, much like Evil Bob split off from regular Bob.  And the Winter mantle stayed with the Cowl part. Ooo.

But it would be just like Jim to keep us speculating and then have Cowl actually be a new character

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2012, 04:11:52 AM »
My two theories on Cowl - Mirrorverse Harry (Mostly because you just know that he's going to show up at some point) and Justin (Justin - wears gloves because he is burned, voice sounds unnatural because of the fire he got "DED" in.  Almost any Simon argument (strength, knowledge of Bob, knowledge of Kemmler) can be applied to Justin.  About the only argument I've thought of against Justin is that he's supposed to be dead, but, well, dead seems to be somewhat flexible in the Dresdenverse.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline derrick

• Conversationalist
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 04:13:13 AM »
One thing that jumps to mind is that Cowl uses gloves. Might be that his hands have scars like his arms do and he is using gloves to cover them up. (He revealed the scars in his arms only when he was already assured of his ascension to godhood)

Here's some relevant quotes:

Quote from: Dead Beat, Chapter 8 (emphasis mine)
Cowl straightened slowly. He'd gotten back to the very rear of the car's impact area somehow, and he must have been able to shield himself from the partial impact. As he straightened he wavered, then braced himself against a streetlight with one black-gloved hand.

Quote from: Dead Beat, Chapter 34 (emphasis mine)
Cowl was silent for a long moment in the rain. Drops fell off the end of my pistol in his gloved hand. Then he said, his voice pensive, "I do not perceive myself to be mad. But if I were truly mad, would I be able to tell?"

Quote from: Dead Beat, Chapter 42 (emphasis mine)
Cowl set the skull aside on the grass, then raised his hands above his head and let the sleeves fall back from his long, weathered arms covered in old scars. He began a chant in a low voice, steady and strong.

And here's this, because we're talking gloves:
Quote from: Dead Beat, Chapter 28 (emphasis mine)
So I was panting and sitting flat on my ass when the air in front of me wavered, and a dark, hooded figure stepped forward from out of nowhere, one hand extended, some sort of fine mesh that covered her outstretched palm flickering with ugly purple light.

"Be very still, Dresden," Kumori said, her voice soft. "If you try to move, I'll kill you."

---

On another note, why Goethe?  Two things come to mind:  Goethe penned Der Erlkönig as well as a celebrated version of Faust.  I've always thought that this was a hint that Cowl made a Faustian bargain.
WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm, esoteric verbiage, nonstandard formatting, disjointed thoughts, and/or inappropriate remarks about goldfish.

wizard nelson

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2012, 06:43:55 AM »
Cowl = Simon is probably the single most sane, rational, and well-supported theory I've seen on these boards. Thanks for laying out the evidence.
jim isn't always sane an rational though. i admit you covered all the bases here, kudos btw. somehow though i still find i can't consign myself to this... besides this would make his name simon cowl! roflmao! unless jim is an avid american idol fan i just can't except that. i'd rather it be bizarro harry an molly.
*snicker* omg simon cowl... has anyone ever got that before? ::) :o
i might never have if i hadn't read the thread name dyslexic like
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:36:32 AM by wizard nelson »