Author Topic: CD Spoilers: The Case of the Stolen Walking Stick  (Read 33437 times)

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: CD Spoilers: The Case of the Stolen Walking Stick
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2012, 04:43:43 AM »
thats a neat idea actually, it would explain why its basic suicide to cross over on the island, the mothers are 'active' gods btw, not retired. even if a DR prisoner escaped if it crossed over i'd be in for a world of hurtin.

Especially if the place across from Demonreach really is Tartarus. It was the lowest version of Hades or Hell in Greek myth, a place of torment. A lot more like the Christian idea of Hell than Hades was supposed to be.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

wizard nelson

« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2012, 05:08:14 AM »
Especially if the place across from Demonreach really is Tartarus. It was the lowest version of Hades or Hell in Greek myth, a place of torment. A lot more like the Christian idea of Hell than Hades was supposed to be.
well yea kevin sorbo told me all about it  ::)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2012, 05:17:20 AM »
well yea kevin sorbo told me all about it  ::)

What movie or series was he in again?
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

wizard nelson

« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2012, 05:31:27 AM »
What movie or series was he in again?
he's like, the embodiment of hercules. the legendary journeys. also had a movie based on it. and cameo's in xena warrior princess

Offline phoenixjustice

• Conversationalist
  • I believe in you, Spike.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2012, 07:03:54 AM »
he's like, the embodiment of hercules. the legendary journeys. also had a movie based on it. and cameo's in xena warrior princess

Actually the Hercules movies came first IIRC; they were kind of testing the waters and saw it did well so they made a series.

DV PhoenixJusticev1.2YR9FR(M)6, BK++, RP, JB+, TH++, WG++, CL++, SW+, BC+, MC+++++, SH(Lash++, Murphy++,Molly+++,Morgan++,Marcone++, Kincaid++, Bob++, Mavra----, Nic+, DF OTP ++++)

wizard nelson

« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2012, 07:11:09 AM »
Actually the Hercules movies came first IIRC; they were kind of testing the waters and saw it did well so they made a series.
yea your right i remember the series alot better though so that was my reference point.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2012, 02:42:32 PM »
Interestingly, WoJ suggests that titans are imprisoned under Demonreach.

Can you give me a reference for this. I would like to see it. I love the idea. Some of the titans had a fifty heads or a hundred arms. That would be hard to do with humanlike heads or arms but if you think of snakes for the heads or tentacles for the arms you would have creatures that sound very much like the Outsiders, at least if they are Lovecraftian as most suspect. At least one was a Cyclops. If, in fact, the theory that the name the Mothers have in common is Gaia things get even more interesting. Gaia was the mother of the Titans and the Giants. She was also the mother of Typhon according to some legends had a hundred heads (sometimes dragon heads) and whose bottom half was the coils of a gigantic viper. He reached to the stars and was covered in wings. She (Gaia) was also the mother (with Tartarus who was a being as well as a place) of Typhon's wife Echidna who is often referred to as the "Mother of Monsters".  Depending on the myth, she is said to be the mother of a great many monsters including Cerebrus and the Nemedian Lion. If both theories (that Demonreach was Tartarus and that the Mothers are faces of Gaia) are true then that would open the door for all kinds of interesting things.

How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline rekshek

• Posty McPostington
  • Apathy is the story of my life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2012, 02:48:41 PM »
Can you give me a reference for this. I would like to see it. I love the idea. Some of the titans had a fifty heads or a hundred arms. That would be hard to do with humanlike heads or arms but if you think of snakes for the heads or tentacles for the arms you would have creatures that sound very much like the Outsiders, at least if they are Lovecraftian as most suspect. At least one was a Cyclops. If, in fact, the theory that the name the Mothers have in common is Gaia things get even more interesting. Gaia was the mother of the Titans and the Giants. She was also the mother of Typhon according to some legends had a hundred heads (sometimes dragon heads) and whose bottom half was the coils of a gigantic viper. He reached to the stars and was covered in wings. She (Gaia) was also the mother (with Tartarus who was a being as well as a place) of Typhon's wife Echidna who is often referred to as the "Mother of Monsters".  Depending on the myth, she is said to be the mother of a great many monsters including Cerebrus and the Nemedian Lion. If both theories (that Demonreach was Tartarus and that the Mothers are faces of Gaia) are true then that would open the door for all kinds of interesting things.

Jim: 5) I said that they were real in that world. Whether or not they actually /exist/ is a different story. The Titans got their asses handed to them by Zeus and company, and were imprisoned, destroyed, or consigned to oblivion. How do you imprison a Titan? Funny you should ask...

AMA before CD was released.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2012, 03:18:53 PM »
Thanks. I wonder in TDF universe if Zeus is another of the faces that Odin wears. I would hope not since Zeus was arrogant, a rapist and the world's worst deadbeat dad but it would be interesting in light of the battle between Zeus and the Titans.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline rekshek

• Posty McPostington
  • Apathy is the story of my life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2012, 03:20:35 PM »
Thanks. I wonder in TDF universe if Zeus is another of the faces that Odin wears. I would hope not since Zeus was arrogant, a rapist and the world's worst deadbeat dad but it would be interesting in light of the battle between Zeus and the Titans.

you forgot bestiality, he did love his bestiality.....

or if you prefer, inter-species erotica.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:22:19 PM by rekshek »

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »
Yes. Usually with him being the beast.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2012, 04:17:21 PM »
Yes. Usually with him being the beast.

Being a Classics student, this is quite interesting: Zeus must have felt that his chances of getting laid were higher if he took the form of an animal.

This leads to some interesting speculation about Ancient Greek sexuality.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

o_O

« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2012, 09:49:35 PM »
Thanks. I wonder in TDF universe if Zeus is another of the faces that Odin wears.

As above, I reckon 'Odin' is also a face.

Offline escapedpsycho

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 19, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »
I've made to correlation between the walking stick and the black staff as well. I believe it could be a viable theory. An additionally applicable theory of the missing walking stick is it could be the object Harry has to recover/steal in the next book.

As to Odin being Zeus as well, I find Thor a better candidate for the title or mantle of Zeus/Jupiter. Their both heavily interconnected with lightning for one thing. Additionally Thor becoming Zeus could be Thor setting out on his own. Finding his own place in the world out from under Odin. And Odin/Kringle is mentioned to be an expert in Temporal Dilation in CD which would fit with him being Chronos, Zeus's Father.

Offline King Ash

• Posty McPostington
  • Its good to be king!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 19, 2012, 10:40:31 PM »

Odin is usually connected with Hermes, being a psychopomp and a traveller/trickster. Zeus is connected with Thor (who is also connected with Hercules), and Tyr with Mars (tho he shares some aspects with Zues being a god of the sky and justice.
There is only one God and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death. Not Today!!!! Syrio Forel, First Sword of Braavos.