Author Topic: Cold Days Book Club - Chapters 45-53 **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 44369 times)

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Days Book Club - Chapters 45-53 **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »
Can you imagine being at Disneyland that day, though. Just a pallor of fear surrounding everything. Kids coming out of the Haunted House Gibbering. The Matterhorn Yeti finally catching a victim...
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline WomanWhoWeaves

• Participant
  • Poka will never die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 09:02:51 PM »
Did NOT see that coming.  Quickly:

Butcher has said that the books are the worst day of Harry's year. That said, IF Karrin and Harry are going to get together, better it happen off screen.  Also, parenthood is about invested time, not grand gestures.  His relationship with Maggie belongs there, too.  Karrin comes out for the weekend, bringing Maggie and they build campfires, go for walks, do homework.  LARP with the Alphas.  Butcher really GETS the repetition = depth thing.  And I believe that this is what will allow reality to survive the apocalyptic trilogy.  (Love, Harry's love for the reality that encompasses his partner and child.)  Did anyone else notice Murph and Harry just got married there.  Now they just need to have sex.

If Harry is going to be living on Demonreach, he's going to need a fast boat or a short cut.

Aww, poor CatSith.  I liked the nasty kitty. 

The Mouse greets Harry.  Onions, I swear someone was cutting onions in my room at 3 in the morning.

Unrelated to the +/- with Harry, I think Murphy is due for an upgrade, either via sword or Odin.  And I'm sure Butcher will do this in the worst way possible.

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
Ok, now that I've slept and gathered my thoughts

1. I am sooooo glad I did a full series reread before this came out. Otherwise I would have been constantly going back and having to find portions of the previous books to remember all the context.

2. It broke my heart in Ghost Story to see how Molly had turned out, and in this one, it was like I was hit by the Shadowman. To see Molly doing so much better, and then to have her life so drastically messed with, even if it wasn't Mab's plan A, was just too much. Someone must have been cutting onions in my room, too.

3. SANTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. I'm glad I was at least half right about Sarissa. I thought she was gonna be the new Winter Lady. And I'm even more glad that Maeve got taken out. Once she killed Lily, I was trying to figure out a way to jump into the book and do it myself. I was a great misdirect having her try to point the finger at Mab. It had me going for a small portion of the book. I figured it out about the same time Harry did.

5. It was so much fun to see Harry and Fix go at it. And it made me happy that Harry didn't give in to his darker side and kill Fix. That would have sucked.

6. Sooooo..... where the heck do we go from here? Harry has gone from PI to hermit, living on a prison block that makes the prison from the Walking Dead look like freaking Elysium. Molly is the new Winter Lady ((and I pray to TWG that she doesn't take up Maeve's fashion sense. I don't think I could handle reading about Molly being vajazzled)), and we just had Outsiderpalooza.

7. I'm torn about the parasite. I know that some people think it's Lash, but that doesn't add up for me. What if the parasite is the contagion that Maeve and so many others had, and Lash has been the one fighting it? That seems closer to accurate for me, but who knows? I guess we will get to find that out next time.

Anywho, those are my initial reactions. I really loved this book, and I think that it is, by far, Jim's best one to date. It was completely and entirely worth the wait, and worth the lost hours of sleep reading it in one shot. I just could not put it down. Thank you again, Mr. Butcher.
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline WomanWhoWeaves

• Participant
  • Poka will never die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »
I was a great misdirect having her try to point the finger at Mab. It had me going for a small portion of the book. I figured it out about the same time Harry did.

Harry never fully bought it, is how i read it.  And he and I were right on the same page.

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 10:42:30 PM »
Anyone else think that Maeve's birthday suit piercings foreshadows the Molly situation?
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 10:43:26 PM »
Anyone else think that Maeve's birthday suit piercings foreshadows the Molly situation?

Oh goodness I hope not. I don't think I could handle reading about Molly getting vajazzled.
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 01:50:51 AM »
Molly already has the piercings that Maeve was sporting. Those piercings have been mentioned a handful of time before in Molly's case. I don't recall them being mentioned for Maeve before. Mentioning them now seems to foreshadow Molly's eventual recruitment as the Winter Lady. Maybe its just me, though.

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 01:53:30 AM »
Molly already has the piercings that Maeve was sporting. Those piercings have been mentioned a handful of time before in Molly's case. I don't recall them being mentioned for Maeve before. Mentioning them now seems to foreshadow Molly's eventual recruitment as the Winter Lady. Maybe its just me, though.

Ah, now I see what you mean. Yeah, I should have picked up on that earlier.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline Vikermac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 02:33:55 PM »
Wow, I concur, this has probably been my favorite book in the series!  So much happened and it just reset so much of what we knew, it was like starting a new volume in the Dresdenverse.

I have lots of questions and I'll add some more commentary later, but here is my question from p. 506:

"It was Halloween Dresden.  You put on a mask for a time.  That's all." He looked directly at me and said, "Many, many mantles are worn-or discarded-on Halloween night, wizard."
"You mean masks?" I asked, frowning.
"Masks, mantles," Kringle said. "What's the difference?"
He winked at me.
And for the briefest fraction of a second, the shadows falling from the tower and the cottage in the gathering morning behind us seemed to flow together.  The eye he winked with vanished behind a stripe of shadow and what looked like a wide scar.  His face seemed leaner, and for that instant I saw Vadderung's wolfish features lurking inside Kringle's.

This got me thinking about a few very important things.  One, can the mantle of the Winter Knight be removed without it killing Harry?  If so, could the same be said about the mantle of the Winter Lady?  It seems like Harry can't be the Winter Knight until the BAT can he?  Doesn't he have to eventually move on?

And if he doesn't how long until the mantle drives him too far?  It seemed like there were times in CD where he was barely holding it together, and he's only had it for a few hours!  What will Molls be like?

Third, what's with the tie-in to Vadderung?  Brothers?  Similar creatures?  Surely not one and the same person, but possible?

And I don't mind at all, but this book seemed to make way more use of the f-word than the others did.  I mean, you might hear it every once and a while before, but I lost track of how many times it came up in this book.

Offline mephiston_x

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »
Finished yesterday, and THIS makes a lot more sense

(click to show/hide)

Now I'm wondering about the reflection of the left

Offline Vikermac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 05:04:01 PM »
That's not actually from Jim is it?  I thought it was fan art...

Offline mephiston_x

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 06:46:22 PM »
It's Lee Moyer's calendar but according to the site 

Other authors got involved by creating detailed scenarios for pin-up versions of their creations.

After fielding some Harry Dresden-related thoughts from Lee, Jim Butcher sent us a scenario that was far more specific and interesting than we'd suggested...

Quote taken from
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/01/lee-moyer-literary-pin-up-calendar_n_1930839.html

Oh, and we know that Jim is a crowbegotten tease
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:58:13 PM by mephiston_x »

Offline Vikermac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 07:01:27 PM »
I did not know that.  Though now that I know it was blessed by Jim, I have to admit Molly is much better looking than she previously was in my head.  But now that she is what she is, better odds for her and Harry?

Offline wyldknight

• Conversationalist
  • S***w Titania and Mab. I work for the King!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 07:29:26 PM »
Love the series and LOVE this latest book, HOWEVER, there were 2 minor issues I have with it.
1. The conversation between Harry and Titania on gay men seemed weird, totally forced and badly written. I presume it was done to clarify what Harry's oppinion is on the issue, but it could have been less wooden and odd.
2. Kringle. Love what was done with this character (especially the tie to the Erlkonig who would play Oak King to Kringle's Holly King and the connection to Odin since Odin WAS the Santa figure to the ancient Norse people as well as being the leader of the Asguard). But, I distictly remember refferrence to a Wizard of the White Council that Harry called Klaus the toy-maker who was sort of implied to be Santa. (ok, I did say that this was a Minor issue).
Anyway, great book over all.

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 04:37:29 AM »
weren't they also the only two who wished him a happy birthday?

and then, Molly chose the music before decloaking the Water Beetle.

"We Will Rock You."  By Queen