Author Topic: Series Spanning Plot Threads  (Read 17879 times)

Offline Nicodemus Carpenter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Series Spanning Plot Threads
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 11:07:32 PM »
Posting in what will soon be an epic thread.

Also, I'm not certain what your criteria are for separating various threads/arcs, and what qualifies as inception, but in Storm Front, Harry does mention his Fairy Godmother, the White Council, the Doom of Damocles, his shield bracelet and blasting rod, his office, and holy shit, this list could get huge fast.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 11:22:56 PM »
Also, I'm not certain what your criteria are for separating various threads/arcs

Personally, I'd say things worth mentioning are...

• Characters who appear in more than one book, or are expected to appear again
  • Questions left unanswered at the end of a book (e.g. Who taught Victor Sells?)
  • Objects of significance to one or more characters that have more plot relevance than just tools (Blasting Rod counts here, because it is a plot point in a later book that Harry ISN'T using it. Sword cane, on the other hand, wouldn't, because it's just a sword in a cane).
  • Places of metaphysical significance (Demonreach, the stone table, etc.), especially ones we expect to revisit
  • Relationships, deals, bargains, contracts, promises, and such, again especially emphasizing ones which are not totally resolved in the book they first appear in

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 11:29:26 PM »
New idea:

If people write up a great synopsis of how a thread weaves through the series and post it within this thread, I will link to it where it first shows up in the OP.

This could work a lot like the discrepancy reference topic.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 11:52:46 PM »
This has the potential to be a pretty epic thread and a great resource for theorycrafting.

Here's my contribution:

Fool Moon:
  • The Alphas
  • Tera West
  • MacFinn (the loup-garou)
  • Harry having apprentices or mentoring other practitioners (Kim Delaney) (Not really a plot thread per se, but it sets up Molly later)
  • Marcone
  • Hendricks? (Not sure when he's introduced or what books he's relevant in)
  • FBI Agents
  • Full Moon Garage lycanthropes
  • Murphy and Special Investigations
  • Susan (add to Storm Front as well)
  • Public notice of the supernatural (Susan's footage on the news, which then disappears)

Tera West is barely mentioned in SK, and per Jim is supposed to show up again, but hasn't yet (although it's a big theory of mine that she is Fitz's mom).  I am going to define this as not "Series Spanning."  Same with the Loup Garou, and Full Moon Garage (I considered this one, but it's really just a recycled prop, not a thread).

Hendrix is almost an appendage of Marcone's character, so I don't know that I will list him separately.
Storm Front.
Heart explosion spell that Sells uses is the same as the Red Court spell in Changes.

Fool Moon, the last paragraph is talking about there being a monster who set everything up paving the way for the future Black Council.

I think I will blanket this under "This was a setup: running Conspiracy Theory, AKA TWaS:RCT" which I will start in FM.

Edit:  By the way, would someone please help me identify every book where "TWaS:RCT" is mentioned before it morphs into "Black Council: Running Conspiracy Theory"  (BC:RCT)?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 01:07:48 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline CenturionsofRome

• Conversationalist
  • Time Flees. So run like hell, and dont look back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 03:22:10 AM »
Tera West is barely mentioned in SK, and per Jim is supposed to show up again, but hasn't yet (although it's a big theory of mine that she is Fitz's mom).  I am going to define this as not "Series Spanning."  Same with the Loup Garou, and Full Moon Garage (I considered this one, but it's really just a recycled prop, not a thread).

Hendrix is almost an appendage of Marcone's character, so I don't know that I will list him separately.
I think I will blanket this under "This was a setup: running Conspiracy Theory, AKA TWaS:RCT" which I will start in FM.

Edit:  By the way, would someone please help me identify every book where "TWaS:RCT" is mentioned before it morphs into "Black Council: Running Conspiracy Theory"  (BC:RCT)?
Doesnt Harry officially morph "TWaS:RCT" (What does that stand for anyway?) into Black Council at the end of the book where Articus Tor gets torched (Cant remember the name of the book off the top of my head right now)? If so, then any conspirosy theories before that book are TWaS:RCT theories.
What do you get when you combine the knowledge hoarding nature of a wizard, neurodiversity, an overly creative mind, and a growing passion for writing? Me! Go here to find out about a series I plan on writing.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 03:56:24 AM »
Rather than considering the smaller number patterns, which gets awkward due to the way some of the categories tend to blur together, I'm sticking with the "Book #1-10, plus 10" pattern. It doesn't work with Storm Front or Fool Moon, but it seems to work fairly well for the three books after that.

Book #3: All about ghosts, and one ghost in particular, the Nightmare. Harry generates a ghost himself.
Book #13: All about ghosts, and Harry himself is one for all but the final chapter.

Book #4: All about the fae, even called Summer Knight.
Book #14: Apparently all about the fae, and was almost called Winter Knight.

Book #5: We get introduced to the Denarians, and they figure most prominently in the story.
Book #15: We've been told that this will be the next time we see the Denarians.

Following this pattern, we get:

Book #6: Mostly about the White Court, especially the inner politics of said Court.
Book #16: Will the White Court figure prominently in the story? Maybe things with Lara come to a head?
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 06:51:32 AM »
Rather than considering the smaller number patterns, which gets awkward due to the way some of the categories tend to blur together, I'm sticking with the "Book #1-10, plus 10" pattern. It doesn't work with Storm Front or Fool Moon, but it seems to work fairly well for the three books after that.

Book #3: All about ghosts, and one ghost in particular, the Nightmare. Harry generates a ghost himself.
Book #13: All about ghosts, and Harry himself is one for all but the final chapter.

Book #4: All about the fae, even called Summer Knight.
Book #14: Apparently all about the fae, and was almost called Winter Knight.

Book #5: We get introduced to the Denarians, and they figure most prominently in the story.
Book #15: We've been told that this will be the next time we see the Denarians.

Following this pattern, we get:

Book #6: Mostly about the White Court, especially the inner politics of said Court.
Book #16: Will the White Court figure prominently in the story? Maybe things with Lara come to a head?

Book #1 had a focus on Harry's Relationship with Morgan.
Book #11 Also focused on Morgan and Harry's relationship, now switched.

Can't see any pattern with #2 Fool Moon and #12 Changes.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline King Ash

• Posty McPostington
  • Its good to be king!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 07:04:03 AM »
Book 2 - a major character who is cursed with a supernatural condition later in life (Finn)
Book 12 - major character who is cursed with a supernatural condition later in life (Susan)

That's very weak however.
There is only one God and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death. Not Today!!!! Syrio Forel, First Sword of Braavos.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 07:13:55 AM »
If your going to mention Thomas under Grave Peril, then you should also mention Justine.

Grave Peril
  • Thomas
    • Justine

Blood Rites
  • Thomas
    • Justine

White Knight
  • Thomas
    • Justine

Small Favor
  • Thomas
    • Justine

Ghost Story
  • Thomas
    • Justine
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 07:17:12 AM »
Book 2 - a major character who is cursed with a supernatural condition later in life (Finn)
Book 12 - major character who is cursed with a supernatural condition later in life (Susan)

That's very weak however.

Maybe not, considering that both Finn and Susan struggled with becoming a monster that would even attack the people they care about.
War Cry -

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 01:23:57 PM »

There was one WoJ that put the next Whampire book (or at least, we'll find out more about them) as either book 15 or 16....

Audience member: I was wondering, are we going to learn anything more about the White Court anytime soon? And can a human becomes a White Court vampire?

Jim: Are we going to hear any any more about the White Court anytime soon? can a human becomes a White Court vampire?  The answer to that is we will probably find out more about them not in the next book but the one after or maybe the one after that.  As far as humans becoming one, no, you gotta be born that way.  (points) Right here, blue shirt.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 01:49:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Butters was named, or at least mentioned before DB, but Grave Peril seems to only mention that the bones in the fire appeared to be warped to inhuman contortions in the heat without mentioning the medical examiner that came to conclusions about them not being human.

I want to move on to other issues, so if anyone can pinpoint some details on his initial, pre DB intro I'd appreciate it.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 01:56:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Butters was named, or at least mentioned before DB, but Grave Peril seems to only mention that the bones in the fire appeared to be warped to inhuman contortions in the heat without mentioning the medical examiner that came to conclusions about them not being human.

I want to move on to other issues, so if anyone can pinpoint some details on his initial, pre DB intro I'd appreciate it.

Butters was in Death Masks with the body of the guy who got caught by the Denarians, tortured and infected with literally every disease in the books.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 02:33:48 PM »
Butters was in Death Masks with the body of the guy who got caught by the Denarians, tortured and infected with literally every disease in the books.

there we go!  tyvm
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 02:51:05 PM »
No time now, but Elaine first gets mentioned in Book 2 by Harry's inner jerk. There's quite a discussion about it, actually. So I would move her appearance to that book.
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."
- Jim Butcher at Space City Con, 2013